Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Darts is every bit as much of a sport as curling or golf is.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #22
BlackAce
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Ahahahahaha... Good one! I need a good laugh this morning, Thank you
BlackAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Haha ya, the first thought that popped into my mind when I saw this thread was "curling". My buddy's mom, who's English, is actually in a darts league, I'd be interested to check that out. I don't get the appeal, I'd be interested to check out the crowd.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm no expert on darts but it would seem to me that curling has a leg-up on darts if not for the fact that two teams are playing each other at the same time. In darts, don't you just go up and try to get as many points as possible everytime until you get to the end where you have to hit zero?

Not so in curling, you have to play off what your opponent is doing, which is significantly harder.

It may be similar to golf but the two sports are lightyears apart in terms of skill and ability. How many different darts shots are there? One?
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the biggest difference between golf, darts and curling is that while all three do not require a person to be fit, darts requires virtually zero physical activity.

Curling IMO is the in the middle between golf and darts. Guys like Randy Ferby clearly aren't in shape but the 2nd and 3rd guys (the sweeper dudes) have to do a fair amount of physical activity.

Golf, of the three, is by far the most sport like IMO. I think golf has the biggest upside to success for fit people.

So Darts, not a sport at all. Almost no physical exertion compared to other sports.

Curling, pretty close to darts but sweeping in just one end is about as physical as 50 games of darts.

Golf, most physically taxing of them all and is most sportish because being in good shape, IMO, is a distinct advantage.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
I'm no expert on darts but it would seem to me that curling has a leg-up on darts if not for the fact that two teams are playing each other at the same time. In darts, don't you just go up and try to get as many points as possible everytime until you get to the end where you have to hit zero?

Not so in curling, you have to play off what your opponent is doing, which is significantly harder.

It may be similar to golf but the two sports are lightyears apart in terms of skill and ability. How many different darts shots are there? One?
No expert indeed (not a cut...just stating that there is a lot more to it than that).

In competition darts (501) you do need to be aware of what the other person has and where they are at as it does affect some decisions (although it is not usually a big big part of the game). On the other hand, games such as cricket very much involve a combination of skill and strategy and every decision must consider the other persons status.

Curling was used as an in-kind example of the beer drinking activity. Other examples could be those such as archery or pistol shooting where you compete head to head against others on the basis of score.

It also could have something to do with this...

As at November 29 2009 Prize Money
1 Phil TAYLOR £887,088
2 Raymond van BARNEVELD £247,937
3 James WADE £242,975
4 John PART £178,611
5 Mervyn KING £168,579
6 Terry JENKINS £168,257
7 Ronnie BAXTER £153,192
8 Adrian LEWIS £149,429
9 Dennis PRIESTLEY £141,509
10 Colin LLOYD £139,422

Some may argue that the Dutch are just as nutty wrt darts...

Last edited by SeoulFire; 12-15-2009 at 02:20 PM.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flip,

Where do sports/activities such as the mentioned pistol shooting, archery and other such things fit in then? They also require very little to no physical exertion. Unless you are willing to rule out all of these accuracy style activities then your definition is flawed.

Golf has had and still has its' share of fatties and softies - some who have achieved a great deal of success.

By the way, I am not arguing that it is a sport - just that the definitions given and such are horribly flawed.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #28
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
Flip,

Where do sports/activities such as the mentioned pistol shooting, archery and other such things fit in then? They also require very little to no physical exertion. Unless you are willing to rule out all of these accuracy style activities then your definition is flawed.

Golf has had and still has its' share of fatties and softies - some who have achieved a great deal of success.

By the way, I am not arguing that it is a sport - just that the definitions given and such are horribly flawed.

Well I don't think I gave any sort of real definition because I think it is way too hard to properly define a sport because there is such a fine line between a game/activity and a sport.

All I attempted to do was point out why Darts isn't a sport.

However, I think things like pistol shooting and archery aren't sports at all, they are games/activities.

A very broad definition of a sport, to me at least, is any game/activity, where the is competition (obviously) and where physical exertion/being fit is present and isn't really a necessity but an advantage. I think it impossible to say that even sports like hockey and soccer require physical fitness, hell I'm out of shape and I can still play both.

Even that broad definition is up for debate for many "sports" like baseball, golf and curling don't really require one to be fit but do require a reasonable amount of physical exertion.

I'd say there are really 3 classes of competition based activities. All sports are games/activities but not all games/activities/competitions are sports.

Class 1 would be things like hockey, soccer, swimming etc. Pretty much anything in the Olympics ('cept maybe Curling). A bubble class 1 activity for me would be MMA. 90% of the guys are in top physical form but every once and a while you see guys who have a nice big gut. Even certain positions within football are like this but overall I'd say those guys are pretty good athletes so I'd consider MMA and football sports. I think baseball also counts because a majority of guys are in good shape, a few exceptions does not disqualify it IMO.

So basically I'd say Class 1 games are all sports because virtually every person that competes in them professionally is a bonafide athlete and MUST be in good shape to excel.

Anything in Class 1, to me, is an activity that is also a sport.

Class 2 would be anything that does not require a person to be fit but requires, arguably, enough physical exertion to be a sport. Golf and Curling are the two examples that come to mind. They fit somewhere in between Class 1 and 3. Not totally sports but not just activities.

I'm content to just leave class 2 as anything where physical exertion is required, but not enough that a majority of competitors are required to be fit.

Class 3 is anything where there simply isn't enough physical exertion that anyone is required to be fit. Darts, Archery, pistol shooting, video games, poker, board games etc.

It is a pretty broad category IMO. Pretty much anything that you play and compete in but requires little real physical exertion and virtually no advantage to those who are most fit.

Actually maybe Archery is more like class 2 because it can be very physically taxing. Maybe it is somewhere in between class 2 and 3.

Even by that broad and certainly uncomprehensive definition there are some activities that people could debate are sports, or sports that are just activities.

Things like car racing, equestrian/horse racing and even something like luge don't by definition require a person to be fit (although neither do hockey or soccer I guess). However, we virtually never, ever see fat people in Nascar, horse racing and luge. The reason is that they are physically taxing so much so that being unfit would probably mean that you'd never win. As such I'd put them all in between class 1 and 2 because while none of the three require great amounts of fitness (like hockey soccer etc) or require significant strength (weightlifting) they are nevertheless quite physically taxing and as such require a person to be of a certain level of physical fitness to properly compete in them.

Just to kind of summarize.

Class 1: 90% of professional competitors in these "sports" must be in excellent physical condition with very, very few exceptions.

Class 2: professional competitors must still do a fair amount of physical activity and being fit provides an advantage in many cases but is no means required like class 1. These aren't completely not sports but since it could be argued that a majority of professionals aren't in peak physical form it is on the bubble.

Class 3: There may be some physical exertion but in order to be a professional does not require any real athletic ability (unless you consider smarts and hand/eye coordination athletic abilities).

A few I can't quite put my finger on, like car racing and equestrian. 99% of the professionals are in pretty good shape (certainly no over weight professionals that I know of). Car racing is very tough, so much so that an overweight person probably could never race in F1 because it is physically taxing but the competitors just aren't necessarily in top athletic condition IMO. They just need to be in good enough shape. Equestrian/horce racing, well they just require someone to be small/thin to be a professional. And since thin people are generally thin because they are in reasonably good shape it is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by flip; 12-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As always, this comes down to how narrowly an individual defines sport. Can't say that I agree with your definitions but I know that one thing is certain - we are way off topic.

Yeah...those English really like their darts.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
As always, this comes down to how narrowly an individual defines sport. Can't say that I agree with your definitions but I know that one thing is certain - we are way off topic.

Yeah...those English really like their darts.

Heh. If you want a thread to get derailed all it takes is one post from me. I tend to get WAY off topic.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Beer Goggles make darts look like actual entertainment.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #32
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I plan on going to the PDC World Darts Championship for 2011.

Half of you haters probably like curling. Heh.
That sounds fun.. I watched a bit online yesterday of the 2010 Championships going on right now and the crowds are nuts!

Darth Maple lost though

The Dutch love it too!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #33
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The level of concentration is off the charts at these events. Their ability to focus while that is going on behind/around them is phenomenal. And golfers complain about camera clicks....

Part played like crap and had a crap player beat him - tough to take. Barney shot a nine darter today to win 25000 pounds.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #34
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
The level of concentration is off the charts at these events. Their ability to focus while that is going on behind/around them is phenomenal. And golfers complain about camera clicks....

Part played like crap and had a crap player beat him - tough to take. Barney shot a nine darter today to win 25000 pounds.
Yeah the crowd got so loud the players had to try to calm them down. It was around 11pm and they were all drunk

A question for you. Does Taylor use smaller/lighter/thinner darts than others? It seems he can fit them into the smallest areas? And is this why he's the best?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #35
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple years back I got into internet betting and one night stoned out of my tree started betting on random sporting events, one of them happen to be Darts. I ended up winning a couple hundred dollars on a $20 bet. Hard game to get into unless you got money on it.

And I can't believe this was turned into another "is it a sport" conversation. It falls into the definition of sport. If you don't agree with that definition fine, but it doesn't make the sport any less of a sport.

Last edited by HOOT; 12-30-2009 at 12:27 AM.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #36
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
A question for you. Does Taylor use smaller/lighter/thinner darts than others? It seems he can fit them into the smallest areas? And is this why he's the best?
Actually it is just the opposite. Taylor uses darts that weigh 26g each. This is considerably higher than a lot of other players. For example, BDO champion Ted Hankey's darts are 14g, Andy Fordham's are 21g, James Wade 20g and former 3-time World Champion John Lowe uses 21g darts.

Taylor is just that much better than everyone else out there, and he has been for the past 15 years.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 AM   #37
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Aussie Simon Whitlock very impressive in his run to the finals taking out Barney. Taylor continues to decimate everything in his path...
Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #38
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Poor Barney. He's having a really hard time since being diagnosed with Diabetes.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 03:08 PM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

16 year old sensation!

Starts at 14:30

Old 12-31-2023, 03:13 PM   #40
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp: