Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2021, 05:28 AM   #281
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don’t they just play until the top 4 is mathematically set and call it a day then. I’m sure it’ll be set by the end of season date and the last few games would just be final position jockeying.

It’s not like anyone is losing gate revenue.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #282
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Why don’t they just play until the top 4 is mathematically set and call it a day then. I’m sure it’ll be set by the end of season date and the last few games would just be final position jockeying.

It’s not like anyone is losing gate revenue.
Draft positioning is still a thing though.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #283
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
That would I think pretty much settle that the Canucks aren't playing a full season.

According to the current schedule, by May 10th the Central division has already ended its regular season, while the North still takes at least 6 more days. I don't think the US teams will want to wait much longer than that for Canada to finish... Especially since its pretty likely the playoff teams on the North are settled at that point. The playoffs are already going to start later than usual.

I guess theorically they could start the playoffs at different times in different divisions and try to make the schedules line up by the start of the conference finals by spreading some series out longer... But I think teams would complain about uneven playing grounds.

I think the playoff line is going to go by points percentage. Or I guess they could have play-in series between Montreal and Calgary...
Hmm .. I wonder if a situation could exist where two mathematically eliminated teams play a regular season game during playoff time.
Probably not eh.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #284
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We saw the NFL make teams play shorthanded when teams had multiple players or even entire position groups test positive. We also saw the NFL fine players and organizations for not following league rules. It certainly appears at least one or more Canucks players violated NHL protocol here so there becomes a point where you have to hold teams and players accountable. It sucks but the rules aren't that hard to follow them as most of us have been doing it in our daily lives for over a year now. Players are getting paid a lot of money here and I don't see them willing to give back salary to not play so while I feel for the Canucks players that have been let down by a few teammates, the league has to keep moving ahead with the season and that's the reality of the situation.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-15-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:41 AM   #285
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
We saw the NFL make teams play shorthanded when teams had multiple players or even entire position groups test positive. We also saw the NFL fine players and organizations for not following league rules. It certainly appears at least one or more Canucks players violated NHL protocol here so there becomes a point where you have to hold teams and players accountable. It sucks but the rules aren't that hard to follow them as most of us have been doing it in our daily lives for over a year now. Players are getting paid a lot of money here and I don't see them willing to give back salary to not play so while I feel for the Canucks players that have been let down by a few teammates, the league has to keep moving ahead with the season and that's the reality of the situation.

Didn’t the Flames have to play short handed at the end of one year due to injuries and having maxed out NHL contracts?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #286
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
. It certainly appears at least one or more Canucks players violated NHL protocol here

What?

Patient zero has been identified and he did not break protocol. He made a very dumb choice, but nothing that was against the rules.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 AM   #287
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would I think pretty much settle that the Canucks aren't playing a full season.

According to the current schedule, by May 10th the Central division has already ended its regular season, while the North still takes at least 6 more days. I don't think the US teams will want to wait much longer than that for Canada to finish... Especially since its pretty likely the playoff teams on the North are settled at that point. The playoffs are already going to start later than usual.

I guess theorically they could start the playoffs at different times in different divisions and try to make the schedules line up by the start of the conference finals by spreading some series out longer... But I think teams would complain about uneven playing grounds.

I think the playoff line is going to go by points percentage. Or I guess they could have play-in series between Montreal and Calgary...
good. I think it's stupid for the NHL to insist every team will play a full season and stating they will not use win %.

No matter how the canucks all got covid, I don't think they should be playing so soon. I agree with Miller on this one.

what did they say? 19 games in 31 days for a team recovering from COVID? that's not right.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #288
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
What?

Patient zero has been identified and he did not break protocol. He made a very dumb choice, but nothing that was against the rules.
I will admit to not playing close attention to NHL protocols and didn't realize that players were allowed to go hang out on their own time as places like ski resorts. Still doesn't change the fact that it's a case of one person ruining it for everyone. I'm hearing that the Canucks side that health and safety is more important than the financial aspect and if that's the case the players should be okay with being paid less? NFL players whined and complained about this as well but they ended up playing games because it is their job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #289
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would either team agree to a play in series? If Montreal finishes their season, has more points and a better percentage what would be the incentive to play additional games and potentially have their playoff spot taken away?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #290
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Why would either team agree to a play in series? If Montreal finishes their season, has more points and a better percentage what would be the incentive to play additional games and potentially have their playoff spot taken away?
They were okay with it last season when they had zero chance of a playoff spot
Old 04-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #291
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure he was joking.

One thing the league could do is allow special dispensation to expand the taxi squad, thereby allowing a bunch more AHL guys to play. They're going to lose most of these games anyway, if they are able to just separate their team into an A squad and a B squad, and have each of them play half the games, it makes this much more do-able.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #292
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has the nhl set a firm date on when the regular season has to end? Or are they willing to budge.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #293
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems the Canucks biggest issue is with two games b2b within less than 24 hours to start. I bet the Oilers game gets bumped.

Hopefully a week off is good enough for the Oilers as they are the real victim of the NHL schedule
Old 04-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #294
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Didn’t the Flames have to play short handed at the end of one year due to injuries and having maxed out NHL contracts?

Due to a bunch of injuries with under 10 games left, no cap space, and LTIR rules, they sent down forwards so that they could bring up D to have 6 D available.

I think they played at least one game with only 9 forwards.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #295
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't think it's likely, but if we want to speculate, the incentive would be shortening the regular season.

Theoretically also you could make it a best of seven, but start the series with Montreal up by two. No, I don't think this is at all realistic, but if I was a the league dictator this would be what I'd go with.

None of other games matter anyway, just cancel them all and settle the one thing that still matters.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #296
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What?

I played golf with a guy that lives in the same building as one of the canucks players that tested positive for Covid. That player has not been following Covid procedures or protocols. He has had multiple people up to his home, many of the scantily clad female variety. He has also left the building to walk his dog. He has been in the building, hallways, and elevator without wearing a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #297
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Seems the Canucks biggest issue is with two games b2b within less than 24 hours to start. I bet the Oilers game gets bumped.

Hopefully a week off is good enough for the Oilers as they are the real victim of the NHL schedule
I don't see the big deal outside the obvious catering to the Toronto TV audience with the early home starts. The early start on Saturday after playing the night before is idiotic.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-15-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #298
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I played golf with a guy that lives in the same building as one of the canucks players that tested positive for Covid. That player has not been following Covid procedures or protocols. He has had multiple people up to his home, many of the scantily clad female variety. He has also left the building to walk his dog. He has been in the building, hallways, and elevator without wearing a mask.

That's some delicious Orange Julius, friend.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #299
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

@FriedgeHNIC

Oilers/Canucks — originally scheduled for tomorrow night — will be postponed. Not sure yet about Maple Leafs/Canucks on Saturday.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #300
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's some delicious Orange Julius, friend.
Well we do know at least one Canuck player didn't take things seriously based on twitter.

The karma train seems strong with covid