Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 03:52 PM   #221
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Selfishly...I wonder what the repercussions will be to the hockey pool world if they wipe out the remaining games for the Canucks.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #222
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Maybe they can work it out that the teams that were scheduled to play them play each other an extra few games.
Yeah, sounds possible, although I'm thinking it's more likely they just cancel the games and go by points percentage.

Theoretically speaking, I'm sure the Canucks could scrounge up enough warm bodies to call it a hockey team. Would probably make for some good human interest stories, guys getting to live out their NHL dream... In a way.

Pretty sure they're not actually planning that, unless there's a really compelling contractual situation with sponsors or TV which forces them to play the games.

As for the players not all following protocol in their free time, it's just human. It's been a long time, people get tired. Young people tend to think they're immortal anyway. It's stupid stuff, but very human.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #223
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Standings would be based on point percentage.
In a normal schedule that would make sense. But with so few opponents, I'm not sure that's fair.

Montreal and Edmonton are pretty much exactly even in point percentage right now at 0.614 and 0.615 respectively. If Edmonton loses even in OT to the Sens game going on right now they drop below Montreal (at least until Montreal vs Toronto happens).

Montreal has played all their games with the Canucks and went 6-0-3 obtaining 15 of 18 points available.

Edmonton has 5 more games against the Canucks after going 3-2-0

If you remove the Canucks games from existence this season, Montreal drops to 0.538 while Edmonton moves up to 0.618. It's not even close.

I'd be pretty choked if I were an Oiler fan if Montreal surpasses them in the standings by point-percentage because they got to feast off a hapless team before they got shut down. Of course if I was an Oiler fan I also probably wouldn't understand as it requires some basic knowledge of simple math.

Now in an alternative world where the Canucks are covid-free, the Oilers may have gone 0-5 against them in their remaining games, but to not even give them the chance is pretty unfair too.

The Canucks have played every team at least 5 times. I'd take the last 5 games played against each team and disregard the other games for standing purposes.

At least it's clear which four teams make the playoffs from the North so regardless of how they do it it shouldn't be super important.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #224
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
In a normal schedule that would make sense. But with so few opponents, I'm not sure that's fair.

Montreal and Edmonton are pretty much exactly even in point percentage right now at 0.614 and 0.615 respectively. If Edmonton loses even in OT to the Sens game going on right now they drop below Montreal (at least until Montreal vs Toronto happens).

Montreal has played all their games with the Canucks and went 6-0-3 obtaining 15 of 18 points available.

Edmonton has 5 more games against the Canucks after going 3-2-0

If you remove the Canucks games from existence this season, Montreal drops to 0.538 while Edmonton moves up to 0.618. It's not even close.

I'd be pretty choked if I were an Oiler fan if Montreal surpasses them in the standings by point-percentage because they got to feast off a hapless team before they got shut down. Of course if I was an Oiler fan I also probably wouldn't understand as it requires some basic knowledge of simple math.

Now in an alternative world where the Canucks are covid-free, the Oilers may have gone 0-5 against them in their remaining games, but to not even give them the chance is pretty unfair too.

The Canucks have played every team at least 5 times. I'd take the last 5 games played against each team and disregard the other games for standing purposes.

At least it's clear which four teams make the playoffs from the North so regardless of how they do it it shouldn't be super important.
If a randomly applied solution DOESN'T work in the Oiilers' favour for once, I, for one, will not have a great deal of trouble getting over it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:20 PM   #225
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Is this verified?

No, it is not. As of right now, there is no confirmed source of origin. I mean, christ, we can't seem to get any stories straight right now. The team was saying it's confirmed a variant and the Province was saying they had seen nothing to that. Dreger is getting a source saying players are in real bad shape, other people get hearing that while it's been rough for a couple of guys it's nothing beyond a bad cold or flu as far as how they're doing. Everyone currently in protocol has the virus. Not everyone has the virus.

This is a #### show as far as info goes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #226
Burn13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cancel the season!!
Burn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #227
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
No, it is not. As of right now, there is no confirmed source of origin. I mean, christ, we can't seem to get any stories straight right now. The team was saying it's confirmed a variant and the Province was saying they had seen nothing to that. Dreger is getting a source saying players are in real bad shape, other people get hearing that while it's been rough for a couple of guys it's nothing beyond a bad cold or flu as far as how they're doing. Everyone currently in protocol has the virus. Not everyone has the virus.

This is a #### show as far as info goes.
I was just gonna say the same. I've heard a mix.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:48 PM   #228
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard a team dinner at one of Aquilinis restaurants and one of the staff members and the restaurant had Covid but worked that night.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #229
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything
Likely
Is
Still being confirmed
And who knows what could have really happened, and where they got it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:22 AM   #230
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Just shut down the whole season.

The oilers don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways simply because they won a 4th ####ing draft lottery in 6 years which just happened to be the best time to win one. Losers.
What's worst is stupid McDoodle signs for 8 years, why he didn't pull a Matthews or even shorter is beyond dumb.

At age 26 Matthews after earning almost $70 million will probably sign the biggest UFA contract in NHL history. McDoodle could have have been a UFA after next season.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #231
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
What's worst is stupid McDoodle signs for 8 years, why he didn't pull a Matthews or even shorter is beyond dumb.

At age 26 Matthews after earning almost $70 million will probably sign the biggest UFA contract in NHL history. McDoodle could have have been a UFA after next season.
I'd hardly call anybody getting a guaranteed contract worth $100MM contract 'dumb'. Buy ya, from a Flames' fan perspective it sure sucks.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #232
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Everything
Likely
Is
Still being confirmed
And who knows what could have really happened, and where they got it
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...osed-1.5977061
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:12 AM   #233
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
How do you partner with an administration that openly tried to prevent American companies from providing masks to Canada that they were legally and contractually obligated to supply?

There was no partnership on the table and Trump even signed an America First executive order. The U.S. has a clear track record of focusing on themselves above all else.
If you believed that it really was a pandemic and that Canadians were going to suffer and die over an extended period you make deals with who ever gets you out of the mess in the most expeditious manner.

Trudeau backed the CCP (China) leadership and made deals with them that they did not honor.

IF Canada and the WWII allies lived up to your standards and shunned Josef Stalin's help we would likely be speaking German in a Gay and Jew suppressed world.

No matter how you spin it Trump has no record even nominally comparable to Stalin or the CCP.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #234
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the other non-COVID Canucks doing?

Are they skating?

How many of the covid infected have had negative tests and and are waiting for the 3 or 4 negative tests before they can start skating.

On cap Friendly Gaudette is the only player listed as non-roster. It is 10 days since he tested positive and was called off the ice.

Is there any hospitalized? On a ventilator?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #235
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, can we put this into the Elisa Lam conspiracy theory folder?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #236
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
What are the other non-COVID Canucks doing?

Are they skating?

How many of the covid infected have had negative tests and and are waiting for the 3 or 4 negative tests before they can start skating.

On cap Friendly Gaudette is the only player listed as non-roster. It is 10 days since he tested positive and was called off the ice.

Is there any hospitalized? On a ventilator?
not of that is any our our business.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #237
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Standings would be based on point percentage.
Probably true, but in addition to screwing some of the other teams as noted, this would also doubly screw the Canucks in terms of draft position... if the games were played they're out of it, they'd probably be giving taxi squad guys a shot and resting their starter, causing their points percentage to drop. Add that to the fact that they probably can't trade anyone at the deadline with all this uncertainty over the team and this is a rather bad hockey situation for that organization in addition to the more important bad-in-general situation of having everyone get sick.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #238
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not surprised that Cactus Club Cafe was one of them shut down. I drove by there a few times and it always looked packed with no social distancing. Some people I work with were actually joking last week saying if you want a couple of weeks off work, go to the Cactus Club and catch COVID. I swear some of these restaurant owners are idiots. I get it's hard right now, but it's really selfish and not doing themselves any favours if this stuff triggers a stay at home order. A big company like that shouldn't be that desperate.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #239
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Not surprised that Cactus Club Cafe was one of them shut down. I drove by there a few times and it always looked packed with no social distancing. Some people I work with were actually joking last week saying if you want a couple of weeks off work, go to the Cactus Club and catch COVID. I swear some of these restaurant owners are idiots. I get it's hard right now, but it's really selfish and not doing themselves any favours if this stuff triggers a stay at home order. A big company like that shouldn't be that desperate.
I was under the impression that everything except for patios and takeout was shutdown province wide. How is it that some restaurants have still been open for seating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #240
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
I heard a team dinner at one of Aquilinis restaurants and one of the staff members and the restaurant had Covid but worked that night.
If they are still having team dinners and being exposed to restaurant staff that is just dumb and negligent.

Personally I think all NHL players/staff should be vaccinated already. People would complain that the rich are jumping the line but IMO they are providing entertainment in a time where people need a distraction. A few hundred doses are a drop in the bucket anyway, charge the NHL 10K per shot or something.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post: