Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #2021
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
This topic reminds of the discussions I sometimes have with 2 friends of mine who are hard core Trump supporters. Any suggestions on how I dispose of 2 dead bodies?
I prefer this meme:

NSFW!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #2022
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
First time in this thread, also the last. Just the same circus act from the usual performers...
It’s honestly too bad but I can’t blame you.

There is some good discussion in between the circular fights.

Hopefully people new to the topic don’t discard it because of this thread. Continue to read and research, it’s very much worth your time
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:57 AM   #2023
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Plus, the real fun in speculating the unknown is in simulation theory. Just fascinating stuff and honestly the more we move towards and understand quantum mechanics the more you start to wonder.

If anyone was looking for an awesome read on it pick up Something deeply hidden by Sean Carrol
This is a cool recommendation, thank you for the heads up - didn't know about this book. It's got great reviews, will order it off Amazon today!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #2024
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
This is a cool recommendation, thank you for the heads up - didn't know about this book. It's got great reviews, will order it off Amazon today!
I also highly recommend The Case Against Reality, by Donald Hoffman. Incredible stuff
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:01 AM   #2025
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

This is a fun YouTube episode on simulation theory. It's a stylized but brings up some interesting points and I think is a generally an entertaining watch. Personally I really like Donald Hoffman's take on simulation theory (re: consciousness).

The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #2026
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
This topic reminds of the discussions I sometimes have with 2 friends of mine who are hard core Trump supporters. Any suggestions on how I dispose of 2 dead bodies?
Watch Forensic Files and do the opposite of what those killers do. It’s like those dolts want to be caught.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #2027
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely do, the math and science in quantum mechanics was out of my depth when I was trying to follow a lot of material. This author does an amazing job of breaking everything down and explaining it to the laymen, and then from there gives ideas on what it could mean for our understanding of everything we thought we knew.

Probably one of the best reads I've experienced on anything.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #2028
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It never works in adult discussion to say "OMG, you guys don't believe this and it's annoying, this is a happy fun place and you're not welcome!!!".
I watched a doc that touched on Heaven’s Gate yesterday, which I admittedly didn’t know much about. Super fascinating, but reminded me of this discussion.

- Formed a religion based on UFOs with the two founders believing they’re aliens
- Collected a bunch of believers with the idea that they were all actually aliens and would “ascend”
- Time goes by, they get tired of people questioning them or mocking them in recruitment drives, so they basically shut off the outside world and stop welcoming people in
- By all accounts are peaceful, happy, productive members of society. Heaven’s Gate is a happy, fun place. Everyone is always smiling and they’re by all accounts great neighbours.
- Eventually decide it’s time to ascend, record videos about how happy they are and how amazing this is, cracking lighthearted jokes and enjoying just being together with their closed off group
- Proceed with one of the biggest mass suicide events in recent history, with 40ish people killing themselves.

Safe to say, skepticism around the topic of UFOs and avoiding the creation of a closed-off group where skeptics aren’t welcome and everyone can be happy and have a great time is… not the worst thing.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #2029
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how these conversations get so out of hand. I mean, I am pretty skeptical about alien technology visiting Earth, but it is such a fun thing to at least think about and consider. For people who are more convinced it's possible, I just don't see the harm in it.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #2030
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't understand how these conversations get so out of hand. I mean, I am pretty skeptical about alien technology visiting Earth, but it is such a fun thing to at least think about and consider. For people who are more convinced it's possible, I just don't see the harm in it.
There has been more movement on the topic in the last five years than in the previous 50. It's quite remarkable to watch. And I don't think the twists and turns are done yet.

But if someone came out with proof that this was all a ruse/hoax/deception, I too think that's a big development that the public needs confirmed, rather than just people speculating on it for so long and pushing it to the fringe (which I think happened out of complacency for the topic in general in many ways).
Old 08-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #2031
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Well the issue was, pepsifree/fuzz/jammies etc offered counter to the belief discussion and 3 or 4 posters attempted to make this the "positive fun talk" only thread and suggested that go start their own thread if they don't believe.

That was never going to work. They could have just scrolled past any skepticism and read the posts they wanted to, imo.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:25 AM   #2032
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Actually it's currently doing fine. Gives some people here more oxygen to do their thing.

Are people really this upset that there's another space to talk about the topic?

What is this, Highlander? There can be only one?
Old 08-01-2023, 12:18 PM   #2033
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
For people who are more convinced it's possible, I just don't see the harm in it.
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm never trying to convince the believers - that's usually a lost cause. The hope is to make it harder for the believers to recruit more believers and to have the undecided but interested person think about what is being said, and make it easier for them to get into the habit of thinking critically and skeptically by giving tangible examples of those to ponder.

Belief is harmful in itself, most human problems can be traced back to groups of believers, and the habits of belief carry over from supposedly harmless beliefs to malignant ones, and so these end up not being harmless at all.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:33 PM   #2034
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm never trying to convince the believers - that's usually a lost cause. The hope is to make it harder for the believers to recruit more believers and to have the undecided but interested person think about what is being said, and make it easier for them to get into the habit of thinking critically and skeptically by giving tangible examples of those to ponder.

Belief is harmful in itself, most human problems can be traced back to groups of believers, and the habits of belief carry over from supposedly harmless beliefs to malignant ones, and so these end up not being harmless at all.
Is it really that hard to conceive that non-terrestrial life could exist? The universe is big, it's expansive, and none of us have the final answers. Perhaps we have been visited, perhaps we haven't. Some of us are more open to the possibility of something non-terrestrial, particularly given recent developments in this subject. That said, I think every single person is in agreeance in this thread that more, actual physical evidence is needed. Right now, this discussion is akin to the Trade Rumours in terms of it's proven content (or lack thereof) - and that's a thread with content that lots of people choose to get excited about and discuss, even before something concrete actually happens.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:36 PM   #2035
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open minded people are hot.

Closed minded bums are not.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:39 PM   #2036
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

So was there an estimated timeline for this next wave of declassified material? (Ozzy?)
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:45 PM   #2037
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
So was there an estimated timeline for this next wave of declassified material? (Ozzy?)
Well I don't know about timeline specifics, but Ross Coulthart has been pretty on track with events in general. I think there will be more hearings coming (according to both him and Tim Burchett), and if I had to guess, probably some time this year as a follow-up to last week because it's been a rare bipartisan effort in Congress.

If it's framed as a national security situation (which it has been), it will likely get faster traction. Remember, this is also in light of the Chinese balloon shoot-down and the three mystery objects shot out of the sky.

There are also classified SCIFs also going on behind closed doors about all of this too (e.g. certain Congress folks are getting classified briefings behind the public eye).

This is a good watch for possibly more info:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1685860102228606976
Old 08-01-2023, 12:49 PM   #2038
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Actually it's currently doing fine. Gives some people here more oxygen to do their thing.

Are people really this upset that there's another space to talk about the topic?

What is this, Highlander? There can be only one?
Jayswin was pretty clearly talking about the attempts to police skeptics out of this thread.

But sure, everyone is very upset you have a group chat they wouldn’t know about if you didn’t feel the need to tell us how well it’s going. Absolutely beside themselves. We are Highlander.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #2039
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Is it really that hard to conceive that non-terrestrial life could exist?
Since I've previously said that I think it is quite likely that aliens do exist, no. Is it hard to conceive of any UFOs being of alien provenance? Yes.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:22 PM   #2040
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Since I've previously said that I think it is quite likely that aliens do exist, no. Is it hard to conceive of any UFOs being of alien provenance? Yes.
Fair enough, I respect that. Honestly, thank you for being cordial in your response.