Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2022, 03:14 PM   #1501
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

WTAF how can any of you hate the SNW theme?!?! It's not pretentious and ugly like Picard, non-sense and sporadic like Disco, and to the general theme unlike Enterprise.

It has the same notes as the TOS series (like a half key off) but a much more militant and less 70s baseline, but still the hopeful horns of exploration... the scenes of the enterprise are extremely voyager reminsicent. Then there's the final hit of actual ST theme at the very last second that's like a knife of hopeful nostalgia right to the brain.

Anyways, I think you're absolutely wrong for not liking this theme.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM   #1502
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
My biggest complaint is the theme song.

TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager all have title sequences that establish exactly what kind of show you’re about to watch for the next hour.

This one does nothing for me, but at least the accompanying images are of the Enterprise flying through space.

The cast is good. Chapel, the Doctor and Pike are my standouts.

The guy who’s playing Spock is alright - I’ve never gotten the sense that any treatment of Spock since the 2009 movie actually understands the character, or Vulcans in general, and this one is no different.

Spock, Tuvok, Savik, even Sarek, have a bemused quality to them.

Like, they get the joke, they just don’t think it’s funny. It’s not that they don’t understand the concept of humour.

As I said, I don’t hate it. In most of the ways that matter, it gets things right.
I'm spitting mad about this comment lol go watch the theme song of original series and then watch the title of SNW again. I think you're going to come around on it. It's magnificent.

Re: Spock; I think you are bang on about the cinematic portrayal being totally off, but I think this SNW actually fits. You have to keep in mind we are seeing an extremely young spock by our standards, 10 ish years prior to Original Series spock. I think they've done a good job establishing this as a halfway point spock between the spock cultural icon and the strange spock from menagarie (also sort of explained in a Short Trek.)
Anyways, I think Peck is doing a good job, and we are already seeing signs of him morphing towards the Nemoy version. Give him a bit more runway!
Old 07-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #1503
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the theme music rocks. I never skip it cause it gets me hyped for Enterprise action. I did find the weirdly unrealistic renderings of the ship during the intro sequence jarring at first, but now I just accept it as intentionally stylized that way. it fits with the wild, dreamlike celestial settings that the ship is flying through.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #1504
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the theme music rocks. I never skip it cause it gets me hyped for Enterprise action. I did find the weirdly unrealistic renderings of the ship during the intro sequence jarring at first, but now I just accept it as intentionally stylized that way. it fits with the wild, dreamlike celestial settings that the ship is flying through.
It's voyager visuals with a less obtuse theme song imo. I have a soft spot for voyager, but that theme was full of itself. Self-laudatory.
Old 07-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #1505
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
After finishing the entire season, it's safe to say that not only is SNW the best Trek series since Deep Space 9, it's in the running for best series ever. Objectively I'd say it is the best Trek series, simply because it's combining the best production values of any ST show with strong writing on par with TNG/DS9. My only complaint is that I wish they'd stop constraining themselves with the original series aesthetic. The original Enterprise design shouldn't be touched obviously, and the uniforms are a nice subtle upgrade on the t-shirts from TOS, but it's jarring to see pan shots of the bridge and all of the bulbous red and blue light bulbs on Uhura's station. Just retcon the smaller stuff like that so it doesn't look out of place for a series set centuries in the future
At least they kept the transparent jube jube control panel buttons.
I liked they kept some homages rather than dumped everything. Kinda gives it the whole, thru could transition to that styling with a refit type of message

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-19-2022 at 04:35 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #1506
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
WTAF how can any of you hate the SNW theme?!?! It's not pretentious and ugly like Picard, non-sense and sporadic like Disco, and to the general theme unlike Enterprise.

It has the same notes as the TOS series (like a half key off) but a much more militant and less 70s baseline, but still the hopeful horns of exploration... the scenes of the enterprise are extremely voyager reminsicent. Then there's the final hit of actual ST theme at the very last second that's like a knife of hopeful nostalgia right to the brain.

Anyways, I think you're absolutely wrong for not liking this theme.
The Star Trek themes of TNG, DS9 and Voyager tell you exactly what sort of show you’re about to watch.

This one is… fine. I guess. It is light years better than the other nuTrek sequences. I never liked Enterprise because they screwed up the intro.

At the end of the day, We get the Enterprise flying through space to orchestral music. It isn’t iconic the way the other ones are, but it’ll do.

Btw this storybook episode is the Star Trekkenist thing I’ve seen since the Vulcans played Sisko and co at a game of baseball.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:39 PM   #1507
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Music is important. It's the queue to find the Skip Intro button.
Whoever did the intro button on TNG on Netflix should be buried alive in a pit of angry venomous snakes.

They made it so it only skips the first 1 min 28s of the 1 min 30s intro so every ####ing time I hit skip I’m hit with a “dun, dun dun dun”. I swear to god they boosted the volume too because it always sounds like 200% louder than the regular show volume. It’s the absolute worst.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2022, 01:05 AM   #1508
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Star Trek themes of TNG, DS9 and Voyager tell you exactly what sort of show you’re about to watch.

This one is… fine. I guess. It is light years better than the other nuTrek sequences. I never liked Enterprise because they screwed up the intro.

At the end of the day, We get the Enterprise flying through space to orchestral music. It isn’t iconic the way the other ones are, but it’ll do.

Btw this storybook episode is the Star Trekkenist thing I’ve seen since the Vulcans played Sisko and co at a game of baseball.
Judging a show based on its theme music is a weird take.

Seinfeld should never have lasted more than a few eps then as that music is gawd awful
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:02 AM   #1509
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Whoever did the intro button on TNG on Netflix should be buried alive in a pit of angry venomous snakes.

They made it so it only skips the first 1 min 28s of the 1 min 30s intro so every ####ing time I hit skip I’m hit with a “dun, dun dun dun”. I swear to god they boosted the volume too because it always sounds like 200% louder than the regular show volume. It’s the absolute worst.
Probably a Star Wars fan.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:50 PM   #1510
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1550948721885696000

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-23-2022 at 07:53 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #1511
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 03:02 PM   #1512
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I first heard about the crossover for some reason I was thinking it was going to be like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. While having the voice actors in live action in their roles makes a lot more sense, my sense of weirdness kind of feels a bit let down.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 03:42 PM   #1513
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
When I first heard about the crossover for some reason I was thinking it was going to be like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. While having the voice actors in live action in their roles makes a lot more sense, my sense of weirdness kind of feels a bit let down.
An episode where the crew gets turned into cartoons would be outstanding.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:03 PM   #1514
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That would be very interesting if they could adapt a story like Flatland into an episode.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #1515
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like both ideas actually. A 'Roger Rabbit' version or a cartoon version in the vein of when the TNG command crew got turned into children.

Just lean into it. There are no limits!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-25-2022, 08:18 AM   #1516
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lower Decks is back.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #1517
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Lower Decks is back.
And it is awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 11:35 PM   #1518
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was great. Loved all the First Contact call-backs.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #1519
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do love lower decks, but they could have pretended to have a plot for S3E1. The whole episode was just easter eggs for other trek. It felt like you were just walking around a Star Trek convention for 30 minutes.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #1520
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I didn't think it was a bad episode. I thought maybe it was an overly safe episode, where really nothing happened. But they flooded us with easter eggs like eating at Sisko's, bringing in the Phoenix. And then having Bateman and Tuvok in the background.

And then it went back to the conflict between Beckett and Mariner, and after last year they got an understanding, really putting them into conflict again.

Also they reverted Boimler back to just being a neurotic meme. With him ignoring the hot girls, smelling seats etc.

I'm still hoping for the Vulcan lower decks character to be assigned to Star Fleet just because I think a extra dimension of an uptight vulcan in the land of chaos would be interesting.

I almost want an episode with Garrett (I think that was his name)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote