Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #2381
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Something sobering to consider about Sam Bennett. He's on pace for a career low 20 points. Puljujarvi, a terrible hockey player, last season put up 20 points. Seems to be an argument of whose pile of #### stinks less.

Nothing sobering about it. And there isn’t a pile of turd where Bennett is concerned. Playing some of the best hockey kid his young career and has been snake bit and unlucky.

NHL coaches appreciate those players and demote the ones that look lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #2382
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Something sobering to consider about Sam Bennett. He's on pace for a career low 20 points. Puljujarvi, a terrible hockey player, last season put up 20 points. Seems to be an argument of whose pile of #### stinks less.
Something sobering to consider about Jesse Puljujärvi. He's on a pace for a career low 7 points (prorated over 82 games), and is so suspect defensively that he has not played a single shift on the penalty kill this season. (Bennett is 6th among Flames skaters in shorthanded TOI/G.)

Oh, yes… and Puljujärvi is no longer on an NHL roster.

Seems like no argument to me.

Last edited by Jay Random; 11-10-2018 at 08:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #2383
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Nothing sobering about it. And there isn’t a pile of turd where Bennett is concerned. Playing some of the best hockey kid his young career and has been snake bit and unlucky.

At what point does this narrative change?

He has been "unlucky" for 2+ seasons now.

Maybe he just isn't that good or able to think the game that well?

I love some of the intangibles he brings, no question but the truth is that this league is about production and winning....and i just dont know how much value he brings in regards to either.

Im still hoping he breaks out, but the longer this goes....the more its unlikely to happen.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #2384
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hahaha... “pile of turd”

Then I thought if Pujaarjaarbinx & laughed even harder.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #2385
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stumble into the e=ng thread and get treated to a discourse on generational players and a discussion (deflection actually) about just how good two greaser players are that have actually just been sent down...versus an nhl player. Mind bottling!

I much prefer the normal discourse about 3 oilies losses in a row and master of propaganda stauffer spinning that Lucic is 50% better, visually.

Being the e=ng thread and all...
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #2386
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
When he stops getting 50% of his goals disallowed?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #2387
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sam altered the course of two games recently that ended up in wins. Meanwhile Jesse is hanging out in the A.

It actually isn't all about points. Especially not massively extrapolated point pace totals based on 15 games. Bennett is creating big hits and fights.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #2388
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He has been "unlucky" for 2+ seasons now.

Maybe he just isn't that good or able to think the game that well?

I love some of the intangibles he brings, no question but the truth is that this league is about production and winning....and i just dont know how much value he brings in regards to either.

Im still hoping he breaks out, but the longer this goes....the more its unlikely to happen.

He may never be productive I guess. But when you’re generating chances at a good clip you’re still contributing.

He’s a third liner with skill and jam. That may be his peak.

Or maybe he’ll get some bounces and finish with 15 goals and 35 points

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 08:35 PM   #2389
Brouhaha
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What is going on around here?! I enjoy coming to CP to get caught up on Flames stuff as I live in New Brunswick and get limited amounts of Flames news. I also enjoy coming into the E=NG thread to get a good laugh and enjoy some witty posts about the Oilers and their golden boy. Needless to say I read a whole lot more than I post. I actually get excited when I see the E=NG thread has several to a lot of new pages of material to read through.

That said, what has been going on here these last bunch of pages is way off the intended topic. Posts about legendary D-men and now we are being treated to what is looking more and more like a Bennett is no good thread. I had to look at the thread title several times to make sure I wasn't in one of those threads that dump on Sam Bennett. Nope, it's here in the E=NG thread! Take that trash to one of the other threads that bash Bennett. You want to compare Pulujarvi (not checking the spelling) to Bennett, fine. Take it somewhere else.

He's being sent to the minors in a move that is way overdue. He has not been very good... at all... in Edmonton... Has he not had some shifts with the Golden Boy? I thought he (MacDavis... sorry to his fans) was the next one who like Mario Lemieux could make almost anyone look like a superstar. This is likely the best move for the kid though, who knows? When Columbus passed on him, that should have raised a few red flags. I'm still overjoyed how that particular draft went. Thank you both, Vancouver and Edmonton.

Oh, and please don't forget.

E=GN!

Pass it on.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brouhaha For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #2390
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Their third leading goal scorer behind $12.5M McDavid and $8.5M Draisaitl is Alex Chiasson.

The same Alex Chiasson who came into camp on a PTO.

The same Alex Chiasson who is earning just a little over the league minimum.

On some level this could be a good thing but the reality is that E=NG
He's earning a 6x6.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #2391
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, and I've been very critical of Bennetts lack of offense. But at least this year he's adding in other areas and more importantly not taking boneheaded penalties any more.

Puljirravi is a liability, but Bennett isn't
Old 11-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #2392
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Puljujarvi can't crack the Oilers' lineup. Say that out loud a couple of times.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #2393
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd trade Lazar for Pul.

Both AHL players who were formerly highly rated first rounders.

Bennett is an NHler and not a good comparison.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #2394
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Sounds like he is no good. E=NG
McG
Old 11-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #2395
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Worse yet, couldn't crack the their weakest area of their roster. Here's all of the players that that can play RW and beat out those two for the RW jobs:

-Tobias Reider. League minimum 4th line guy who got 25 points last year in his 6th NHL season playing mostly for one of the worst teams in the league

-Zack Kassian - Lead starring role in the next planet of the Apes got 19 points last year in his 9th NHL season. Currently has 1 point

-Alex Chiasson - Got 26 points last year. Highest scorer of their RW bunch. Signed a PTO to get his shot this year because no one else wanted him

-Ty Rattie - The McDavid Whisperer has never played more than 14 games in any season despite being drafted 8 years ago. That season he played 14 games? Last year with the Oilers.

Puljujarvi has the 2nd worst pts/game of any of the top ten from the 2016 draft (excluding Juolevi who may never play in the NHL) and looks to be getting worse.

Yamamoto has been forced into a top 6 role 2 straight years and has failed both years. At 5'8" and 150lbs, he better score or there isn't a role for him
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #2396
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some people keep grasping for straws trying to find ways to devalue Sam Bennett even now while he is playing well. During a recent interview Sam talked about showing the coaches his 2 way game, and right now he is probably doing exactly what is asked of him. In other words if they needed Sam Bennett for scoring then they would be putting him with 1st second line guys but we have adequate guys in those spots so Sams role production wise is limited to the 3rd line; Which seems perfect for what he brings. Conroy even talked about this in his interview saying that guys often get pushed down or put into roles that might differ from what they are accustomed to and that was part of the job description. What Peters is doing by putting some of these young guys in PP or PK positions is developing them to be well honed in a variety of roles. Funny some fans keep complaining about Sam Bennett but nothing from the coaches. Maybe Sam Bennett is just doing exactly what is asked of him.

Which just goes to show E= NG

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 11-11-2018 at 12:16 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 12:11 AM   #2397
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Some people keep grasping for straws trying to find ways to devalue Sam Bennett even now while he is playing well. During a recent interview Sam talked about showing the coaches his 2 way game, and right now he is probably doing exactly what is asked of him. In other words if they needed Sam Bennett for scoring then they would be putting him with 1st second line guys but we have adequate guys in those spots so Sams role production wise is limited to the 3rd line, which seems perfect for what he brings. Conroy even talked about this in his interview saying that guys often get pushed down or put into roles that might differ from what they are accustomed to and that was part of the job description. What Peters is doing by putting some of these young guys in PP or PK positions is developing them to be well honed in a variety of roles. Funny some fans keep complaining about Sam Bennett but nothing from the coaches. Maybe Sam Bennett is just doing exactly what is asked of him.
Didn’t see any mention of e=ng. Great post wrong thread.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #2398
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't buy the luck angle. Never have. Luck extends over a short period of time, not multiple seasons. Don't buy the "best hockey of his career" either. We've set the bar pretty low for Sam Bennett if this is the best he has to offer. Bennett has a long way to go to be a good NHLer, because right now he's playing at the Zack Kassian level for the Flames. I hope there is more than that from the highest pick in Calgary Flame history, and I expect there is. But at this point, we should not be holding up Bennett as a shining example of anything.

Over to the bashfest of the Oilers and everything Edmonton, yes, Bennett is infinitely better than Poolparty, no doubt about that at this point. But that is what happens when you are ruined by a poorly run organization. Poolparty is garbage, and that is because the Oilers turned him into what he is. Just more proof of E=NG.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #2399
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I agree with this, but would like to add that after several years of watching McDilettante it seems to me that he is not even able to elevate his own game. I think he has only one gear. Don’t get me wrong—it’s a helluva gear—but there is no extra push from McDrone. Whether it be a preseason game, a game in November, a no-stakes game in January when the Oilers are just playing out the string, or one of those elusively rare playoff games, he is always the same player. Maybe this is good, but it sure seems like his play is a lot less effective in situations where most other players CAN and DO elevate their own games when the stakes are higher. McDoorstop looks to me like a difference maker, but mostly only in those games in which the difference made is negligible.

Blaming a good/great player for a bad team's struggles is what leads to trades like the Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle ones, so I support this even though he's the only reason they are even semi respectable
Old 11-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #2400
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Blaming a good/great player for a bad team's struggles is what leads to trades like the Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle ones, so I support this even though he's the only reason they are even semi respectable
To be fair, Eberle mainly got traded because his 6x6er was an over payment, while Taylor Hall’s 6er was the only deal that actually worked out for them & they traded him for magic beans.
Closed Thread