Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #12281
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd love to have Hayes on this team, big guy with proven chemistry with Gaudreau, he could help the pp a ton. Makes our team better now. Fox might not turn into the player we hope and we don't necessarily control his future anyway.

The dream for me would be Stone (from Ottawa) though.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #12282
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Another thing I'd inquire about is

Brodie, Brouwer, Fox and Mangiapane for Zibanejad and Hayes

Gaudreau Monahan Hayes
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Bennett Zibanejad Ferland
Lazar Jankowski Foo
Hathaway, Shore

Giordano Hamilton
Hamonic Andersson
Stone Kulak
Cheap free agent (better than Bart pls)/Wotherspoon

Smith
Rittich
Old 05-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #12283
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Larry Brooks speculating that the Rangers might have interest in Adam Fox.

He is potentially offering up Hayes or Zibanejad in his speculation.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-o...site%20buttons

He also thinks Hayes will get around 5 years @ $4.5 million for his next contract.
What about Fox for one of their first round picks?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #12284
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Great idea! That first round pick could even be a Fox! We've always wanted one of those!

Unnecessary snark aside, I don't see the point of trading futures for different futures. Flames are in a win now mode I think.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #12285
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Great idea! That first round pick could even be a Fox! We've always wanted one of those!
It's not a bad idea if the Flames are getting the vibe that Fox is going to finish school and Jimmy Vesey them. Turn a 3rd rounder that isn't going to sign with you anyways, into a 1st rounder when you don't have one.

But yeah, if they think Fox will sign with them, I'd rather keep Fox, or trade him for something that can help immediately. Like packaged up for Zibanejad, from the Brooks example earlier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #12286
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will never understand this boards love affair with Kevin Hayes. Just because he played with Gaudreau in college doesn't mean we have to get him. His a consistent 40 point player with size who we think will have great chemistry with Gaudreau.

Guess what? Flames already have a 40 point big winger who has chemistry with Gaudreau, and he can beat the #### out of Hayes too.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #12287
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Brendon Smith can be salvaged. I've always liked him, good size, good skater. Something went horribly wrong this year in New York though. Maybe we could send them Brouwer in some sort of a "change of scenery" trade, include Brodie and Fox and then get back a couple top 6 forwards like Zibanejad and Hayes.

Brodie, Bennett, Fox, Brouwer going out.

Zibanejad, Hayes, Smith, 2018 1st (BOS 26th overall) coming back.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #12288
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I will never understand this boards love affair with Kevin Hayes. Just because he played with Gaudreau in college doesn't mean we have to get him. His a consistent 40 point player with size who we think will have great chemistry with Gaudreau.

Guess what? Flames already have a 40 point big winger who has chemistry with Gaudreau, and he can beat the #### out of Hayes too.
Why can't we have both?
Old 05-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #12289
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I will never understand this boards love affair with Kevin Hayes. Just because he played with Gaudreau in college doesn't mean we have to get him. His a consistent 40 point player with size who we think will have great chemistry with Gaudreau
Because there's a lot to like. Size, hands, 25 goal scorer this year.

"we already have a 25+ goal scorer who can play RW" isn't really a good reason to refute that as a fit. We need more guys who can score.

And most importantly, while it's often a good point junior line-mates don't always transfer to the pros, Hayes and Gaudreau looked deadly together in international competition. The chemistry is real.

I won't break the bank, but at the right price quite a few people on this forum are warm to it because there are many reasons why it makes sense. It's not really the conundrum you're making it out to be.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #12290
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's not a bad idea if the Flames are getting the vibe that Fox is going to finish school and Jimmy Vesey them. Turn a 3rd rounder that isn't going to sign with you anyways, into a 1st rounder when you don't have one.
Yup, that was the thinking.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #12291
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary suffered from a severe lack of talent up front....spitballing ideas about trying to rectify that is exactly what BT, Peters and the scouts should be doing.

I like fox but organizationally, the strength and depth is at D...if he's not going to sign Calgary needs that chip to turn into a player
Old 05-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #12292
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I do not think you can fault BT for picking Bennett in that draft, I think any GM would have taken him at 4. Flames fans can only hope that Peters can help turn his career around.

The frustrating part of that draft was at the time and still is picking Hunter Smith in particular and Hickey to a lesser extent over Brayden Point.

Point was an elite player in Bantam, an elite player in midget, he was one of Moose Jaw's top scorers in the playoffs as a 15 year old, he was almost a point a game player as a 16 year, in his draft year as a 17 year old he led his team in points with 91 points, a 36 point lead on 2nd place on the team, and in between time he played for Canada at U-17 and U-18. A homegrown kid to boot and we take a guy who his draft+1 that has never played even close to that level. That is the pick in my mind that was the big miss in 2014.
You can't blame BT for any picks in the 2014 draft. He was hired like 2 months before the draft. He wasn't involved in deciding who they were scouting or targeting.

Every season they have amateur scouting meetings early in the year (December) to discuss what attributes they want and who they want to follow. At that time it would've been Burke as interim GM.

He likely would've discounted Point on his stature after canning Feaster for having drafted so many undersized players. He probably also prioritized attributes like size, compete and truculence. Hence Hunter Smith, Olaf Mattson etc.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #12293
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You can't blame BT for any picks in the 2014 draft. He was hired like 2 months before the draft. He wasn't involved in deciding who they were scouting or targeting.

Every season they have amateur scouting meetings early in the year (December) to discuss what attributes they want and who they want to follow. At that time it would've been Burke as interim GM.

He likely would've discounted Point on his stature after canning Feaster for having drafted so many undersized players. He probably also prioritized attributes like size, compete and truculence. Hence Hunter Smith, Olaf Mattson etc.
What you can fault him on is not trading the 2 2nds for NYRs 1st, which NYI did in order to select Ho Sang. Not that we would have picked Ho Sang, but you had better prospects than MacDonald or Smith available, who we ended up picking in what was a very crappy draft after the 1st round. Imagine having Kempe on the team. Even Brendan Lemieux (who probably would have been our pick based on previous speculation) would have been welcomed especially given our need for players with a give a crap meter.

Last edited by The Original FFIV; 05-13-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #12294
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
What you can fault him on is not trading the 2 2nds for NYRs 1st, which NYI did in order to select Ho Sang. Not that we would have picked Ho Sang, but you had better prospects than MacDonald or Smith available, who we ended up picking in what was a very crappy draft after the 1st round. Imagine having Kempe on the team. Even Brendan Lemieux (who probably would have been our pick based on previous speculation) would have been welcomed especially given our need for players with a give a crap meter.
Even better, use one or even both of the seconds to move up to 2 and scoop Drasaitle away from Edmonton.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #12295
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wonder if Brendon Smith can be salvaged. I've always liked him, good size, good skater. Something went horribly wrong this year in New York though. Maybe we could send them Brouwer in some sort of a "change of scenery" trade, include Brodie and Fox and then get back a couple top 6 forwards like Zibanejad and Hayes.

Brodie, Bennett, Fox, Brouwer going out.

Zibanejad, Hayes, Smith, 2018 1st (BOS 26th overall) coming back.
One of the last things I hope happens is the Flames trade one of their top 4 D and a top prospect and only get second line type players in return.

I would hate this trade if it happened. Bennett, Fox, and Brodie and we receive a couple 40pt players and a late 1st.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #12296
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fox for either a late 1st or Hayes would work for me.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #12297
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would rather Zibenejad over Hayes. But maybe theres a way to get both. Or Namestnikov...
Old 05-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #12298
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you can get the NYR 9th overall pick, do you consider moving Hamilton (not straight up but Zibanejad or Hayes plus the 9th overall)?

Not sure if NYR would even offer but I think you get a great prospect at 9 (one of the top 4 D or Wahlstrom). Necessitates us keeping Brodie and putting him next to Gio again and finding someone to play with Hamonic on 2nd pair. But getting someone that can play in our top 6 and a great prospect would make me think long and hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #12299
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Those bemoaning the idea of trading away a potential player in Fox need to remember these trade ideas are based on that fact that we have a pretty small chance of actually signing him. If an eastern team thinks they can sign him and are willing to give you good value for the asset you do it.

If Fox was just a regular non NCAA prospect you'd need a pretty huge return to actually say yes. This is not a normal scenario.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 PM   #12300
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
If you can get the NYR 9th overall pick, do you consider moving Hamilton (not straight up but Zibanejad or Hayes plus the 9th overall)?

Not sure if NYR would even offer but I think you get a great prospect at 9 (one of the top 4 D or Wahlstrom). Necessitates us keeping Brodie and putting him next to Gio again and finding someone to play with Hamonic on 2nd pair. But getting someone that can play in our top 6 and a great prospect would make me think long and hard.
Zibanejad and the Rangers 2 1st for Hamilton. Flames get a useful forward and 2 good prospects. Maybe swap the Boston first for Rangers 2nd if that is too much going to the Flames.

Really though I don’t like the idea of moving Hamilton without getting an elite young piece.

I really want Nylander and the Leafs 1st or Marner straight up. I know other offers will be there but I can’t help but circle back to the Leafs need and the young right shot forwards they have.
Closed Thread