Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #101
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I think people should stop caring what others think about your taste in music, movies, books.. We all grow up differently, and emotion&memories are so important to what we love.

Not to mention some of our brains react to types of music differently, there is a great doc with Sting where they look at his brain listening to music he loves and music he loathes.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #102
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who's FFM?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 11-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #103
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Who's FFM?
We’ll tell you when you’re older
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #104
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Blind Melon........now I know you are taking the piss.
Blind Melon was stellar.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #105
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If we're going to do CP throwbacks, I always think back to the days of Lanny MacDonald. Dude was the most hilarious poster and rubbed so many people the wrong way. I loved the shade he threw in almost every post and the schadenfreude he created from it. Best old school poster hands down.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #106
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Blind Melon was stellar.
No, that was Incubus.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #107
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Blind Melon........now I know you are taking the piss.

What about SpaceHog?
How could I forget SpaceHog? Spin Doctors, too.

But seriously, you should check out Blind Melon. They're really good beyond No Rain.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #108
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was hoping FFM was like the Bizarro world version of MMF.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #109
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My 16 year old is listening to Pink Floyd for the first time - has pulled out my old records.

Strange to think there is a generation of people that have never heard them, when they are seemingly on classic rock radio once per hour.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #110
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I think people should stop caring what others think about your taste in music, movies, books.. We all grow up differently, and emotion&memories are so important to what we love.

Not to mention some of our brains react to types of music differently, there is a great doc with Sting where they look at his brain listening to music he loves and music he loathes.
Who is saying anyone should care?

Music is just fun to debate, because it’s totally subjective and non-offensive. A band some loves is a band someone else hates. Some people rank certain albums really high in a catalogue, others rank them low. Books, movies, all the same thing. It’s “art” more or less. I think the very very heavy subtext in any conversations surrounding these things is: “in MY opinion.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #111
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

But seriously, you should check out Blind Melon. They're really good beyond No Rain.
I agree, BM is great as are Tool and the Pixies, besides Nirvana, I'm not intimately familiar with the rest, but..... none of them have the talent of PF.
They're good, just not that good.

It's seems to me you should have had ACDC in your list.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #112
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Just because you still exclusively listen to what you listened to in high school doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Pixies rule though.
Yeah, I think about this sometimes and feel it's kind of pathetic, but I can't seem to find music that I can hold onto like those older albums. It's not just a me thing, though. A lot of people don't feel music as much as the stuff they grew up with.

When Pixies, or Pennywise, or Offspring, or Smashing Pumpkins come to Calgary, they fill the venues with people just like me, so there's that.

"Newer" bands - my favourite I listen to on a regular basis would probably be Die Antwoord - they put on a great show here a couple years ago. It is hard to find stuff, though. I'm not sure if it is because I'm more focussed on my kids, or career or what, but as you get older you don't have as many opportunities to experience soundtracks to formative, life-changing things. I like when someone puts on hip hop, but I'm not soaking in who the artist is necessarily and obsessing over the lyrics and songs like I did when I was 18 and listened to Bad Religion with a dictionary in my hand to figure out WTF some of those big words were.

My only hope for finding new great music now is my kids as they get older. There is a lot of 21 Pilots playing in my house these days, and I like them. I hope my kids get into Indie music - I used to go to tons of shows and saw so many small bands. That was great. I took my son to Pennywise earlier this year when he was 10 and that was super fun.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #113
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My only hope for finding new great music now is my kids as they get older. There is a lot of 21 Pilots playing in my house these days, and I like them. I hope my kids get into Indie music - I used to go to tons of shows and saw so many small bands. That was great. I took my son to Pennywise earlier this year when he was 10 and that was super fun.
Not sure a band that is playing the Dome is still considered "Indie".

Music is fun to discuss/debate.

I try to be all over the map. Hell I think Party in the USA is catchy as hell.

I remember once chatting with a buddy that ran a high end wine store here in Calgary. I asked "What makes a good wine?" his answer was "One you like."

Music is the same way.

Good music is music you like.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #114
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

When most of us were just graduating from high school is when bands really stopped making coherent albums. I guess the last might be Green Day's American Idiot, but I can't think of anything remotely popular that aren't just some one-off hits written for the cutest singer. Anyway, I am just talking about popular music, not the obscure stuff that you have to really search out and it turns into some weird Portlandia sketch of people naming off bands you've never heard of, competing for who discovered them first.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #115
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure a band that is playing the Dome is still considered "Indie".

Music is fun to discuss/debate.

I try to be all over the map. Hell I think Party in the USA is catchy as hell.

I remember once chatting with a buddy that ran a high end wine store here in Calgary. I asked "What makes a good wine?" his answer was "One you like."

Music is the same way.

Good music is music you like.
Some people like super crappy music, so I don't agree that good music is music you like.

I wasn't saying 21 Pilots are Indie. That's what my kids are currently listening to, so I'm hearing them play it in my house a lot. I hope their tastes evolve to like more Indie stuff so I can hear that next. I wasn't clear in my wording.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #116
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Music is just fun to debate, because it’s totally subjective and non-offensive. A band some loves is a band someone else hates. Some people rank certain albums really high in a catalogue, others rank them low. Books, movies, all the same thing. It’s “art” more or less. I think the very very heavy subtext in any conversations surrounding these things is: “in MY opinion.”
It's not "totally subjective". There's an entire field of philosophy devoted to aesthetics. There may be no objectively verifiable truths (although some people would likely debate that point) but there are good and bad answers to questions about art, literature and music.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #117
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember the Spin Doctors being the most boring concert I ever saw, and it's not even close. I left feeling they should have paid me to watch them.

I remember seeing Blind Melon open at this concert too, and they weren't bad ... https://www.last.fm/event/1615593+Ne...September+1993 That makes me feel very old!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #118
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's not "totally subjective". There's an entire field of philosophy devoted to aesthetics. There may be no objectively verifiable truths (although some people would likely debate that point) but there are good and bad answers to questions about art, literature and music.
I meant more so the “I like this, I don’t like that, this band is top 5, actually they’re one of the worst.”

Last edited by PepsiFree; 11-14-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #119
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Who is saying anyone should care?

You may find it fun, I honestly don't care either way, but there are a lot of people who get genuinely mad or upset when people don't like the same things they do.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #120
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
You may find it fun, I honestly don't care either way, but there are a lot of people who get genuinely mad or upset when people don't like the same things they do.
Probably, but those people are stupid, and I don’t see any of them here.