Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Helm fined $5,000 for Lindholm slash

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kinda like a parking ticket no? Lol
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
Kinda like a parking ticket no? Lol
A little, yeah. But it does make him a repeat offender if he has a similar incident in the next 18 months. And that would basically double his salary loss if he gets suspended.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should have to pay it to Lindholm.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he did the same thing against the Leafs or Oilers would have been a suspension
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
sarge
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If he had done that to McJesus he would have been summarily executed.
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old time hockey gotta love it
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Old time hockey gotta love it
I respectfully disagree. I don’t like seeing stuff like this. Stick swings to the back of unsuspecting opponents legs. Deliberate elbows with intent to injure.

My version of preferred old time hockey are two players dropping the gloves and having their differences settled accordingly.

I understand people enjoyed Hextall two handing someone, I’m just not one of them.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Given that Helm received a small fine, I think this is probably a sign that Lindholm will not miss any games. That seems to be how the NHL Wheel of Jusice operates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The incident is a beautiful example of consequences of inconsistent officiating, and “putting away the whistle in the last period”.

At the faceoff, Helm blatantly tripped/pitchforked Linndholm right in front of an official with no call; then as the play went into the Flames end, Lindholm interfered with Helm and then put up the elbow. Helm then responds with the slash. If the first penalty had been called it’s unlikely the rest would have transpired.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sequence of events that led to the slash is a classic example of what happens when officials decide to game manage instead of doing their jobs. It matters not that the Wings were down by a few goals, the officials should not be turning a blind eye to infractions to keep the game from getting away from a team. When is the league ever going to do something about this?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The problem isn't even really a game management one. Slewfoots and trips like that are becoming increasingly common on faceoffs. The league had better hope that someone like Crosby doesn't end up concussed as a result of one before it decides to start calling it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Given that Helm received a small fine, I think this is probably a sign that Lindholm will not miss any games. That seems to be how the NHL Wheel of Jusice operates.
Best lol all day! No one can predict the wheel of justice!
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a question about the incident. Lindholm appeared to get away with one just before Helm retaliated. Retaliation suggests retaliation, so IMO that should bring the offense up a notch. Kind of like if a player stalked another player around the ice before doing something.

But I guess my question is that after the replay, the refs decided to call Lindholm on the penalty that they originally missed. I didn't think instance replay could be used to call a penalty. Am I mistaken?

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-18-2019 at 04:27 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The fact that these multi million dollar players get fined $5000.00 for a major infraction is hilarious. It would be like a speeding ticket costing a regular person twenty bucks. Sucks to give up 20 bucks, but meh.
Old 10-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have a question about the incident. Lindholm appeared to get away with one just before Helm retaliated. Retaliation suggests remediation, so IMO that should bring the offense up a notch. Kind of like if a player stalked another player around the ice before doing something.

But I guess my question is that after the replay, the refs decided to call Lindholm on the penalty that they originally missed. I didn't think instance replay could be used to call a penalty. Am I mistaken?
There are differing stories as to whether the minor was called before or after the review.

IMO it's similar to that goal McDavid scored which was blown dead and then it looked like they changed what the call on the ice was at some point even before reviewing. I think they looked at the tape and said "that should have been called" and did a retrofit of the facts.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #17
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the game and it was called prior. Many of us in my section were confused by the call.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have a question about the incident. Lindholm appeared to get away with one just before Helm retaliated. Retaliation suggests retaliation, so IMO that should bring the offense up a notch. Kind of like if a player stalked another player around the ice before doing something.

I think it was called prior, but the interference penalty the refs chose not to call was on the faceoff 2 or 3 seconds earlier when Helm used his stick to upend Lindholm. Lindholm‘s interference/elbow infractions were clearly a response to Helm’s first misdemeanor.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #19
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
I think it was called prior, but the interference penalty the refs chose not to call was on the faceoff 2 or 3 seconds earlier when Helm used his stick to upend Lindholm. Lindholm‘s interference/elbow infractions were clearly a response to Helm’s first misdemeanor.
It was definitely called prior to - if you watch the game on the Detroit feed they didn't cut to commercial as fast and you can hear them announce the penalties prior to them looking at the tablet and reviewing the call. The entire sequence was likely seen by the linesman who then informed one of the referees about what happened so they made the correct call.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #20
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lindy sold that one.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote