Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #101
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Money trumps all to everyone. Morey's tweet has cost a lot of people money. James Harden sells tons and tons of sneakers in China and already voiced displeasure with Morey’s comments

If Morey worked for Nexan(CNOOC) or any business with ties to China hed be fired.

This is how China is, been this way for 70 years.

They're more brazen now, running concentration camps for ethnic minorities and trying to remove Hong Kong's autonomy. And they're doing these things because no one has stood up to them for the last 70 years, every nation and corporation has bent over to appease them for the all-mighty dollar. It has to stop
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #102
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I get that you get off on being the contrarian, Girly, but you are trying way to hard here.

To the best of my knowledge, no other players have expressed support for China the way James has. He's not fighting for them. He's fighting for himself, and for his own sponsorship.

There is nothing selfless about his comments. At all.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #103
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
They're more brazen now, running concentration camps for ethnic minorities and trying to remove Hong Kong's autonomy. And they're doing these things because no one has stood up to them for the last 70 years, every nation and corporation has bent over to appease them for the all-mighty dollar. It has to stop
It has to stop at levels much higher than sports.
These are free trade type negotiations.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #104
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is a government issue. The Chinese government is using corporate access to their market to control the speech of American citizens. A government should be sanctioning the Chinese proportionately to the sanctions being handed out by the Chinese.

Corporations cannot win this fight becuase they have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to maximize profit
The public acting in unison doing more damage then the cost of Chinese business could create change but we like basketball and video games too much
So that leaves the government to act in the best interests of its citizens long term interests

The interesting thing about LeBron on this issue is that he just told Morey to Stick to Sports when his reaction in US politics is Athletes should be allowed to express their opinion. LeBron’s real position is he will defend his brand on an issue by issue basis.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #105
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d have more sympathy (or any, really) for Lebron’s point if it wasn’t a multi-millionaire worried about making more millions.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #106
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I’d have more sympathy (or any, really) for Lebron’s point if it wasn’t a multi-millionaire worried about making more millions.
I would be fine if he just said he was worried about the loss of millions of dollars. That I get. What doesn't sit well is the idea that he thinks Morey should stay quiet because he is "uninformed". I mean, James was told to shut up and play basketball and now he is basically saying the same thing to a GM? No good. He uncharacteristically blew this one. He is generally much better than that.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #107
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The college team that held up the sign now banned for 6 months also. Blizzcon will not be fun this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/16/...-kong-protests
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #108
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
The college team that held up the sign now banned for 6 months also. Blizzcon will not be fun this year.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/16/...-kong-protests
I don't think we'll get any red shirt guy moments this year.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #109
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many people will be dressed as Winnie?
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote