Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #321
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
I think the flames are going to miss the playoffs
I was thinking the same thing while watching the game tonight.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:16 PM   #322
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Flames players are going to get Bill Peters fired.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #323
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames should have traded Valimaki+ for Stone and went all in on the 3 year window. Flames will be a decent WC team ala the Wild of old but never a threat for the cup in the 3 year window.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #324
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Unpopular Opinions about Flames

Flames should trade Gaudreau, Lucic, and Kylington for the 1st overall pick at the draft. Then they should take away Treliving’s phone on July 1 and not give it back for a week.

Last edited by Macindoc; 10-19-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #325
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
While Mikael Backlund is better defensively, and Sean Monahan is better offensively, Sam Bennett is the Flames' most complete center and could really impact the game if he were logging 18+ minutes a game with quality wingers.
I can not stress this enough.

LMFAO

edit; thread was bumped and didn’t realize this comment was a couple weeks old. Still tho lol, this is the silliest ####

Last edited by jonkaupp; 10-19-2019 at 11:35 PM.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #326
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
I can not stress this enough.

LMFAO

edit; thread was bumped and didn’t realize this comment was a couple weeks old. Still tho lol, this is the silliest ####
This is an unpopular opinion thread and the author of that post made it knowing it would be unpopular. Hence the thread.

Now calm down and log off for the night.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 11:42 PM   #327
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is an unpopular opinion thread and the author of that post made it knowing it would be unpopular. Hence the thread.

Now calm down and log off for the night.
Oh ya. Just because it is unpopular doesn’t mean it isn’t wholly ludicrous and deserving of criticism. Good lord
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #328
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Neal will score 30 goals and 40 points, while Lucic will have 4 assists and no goals, and we’ll never hear the end of Sweatpants City’s crowing about how they screwed us over in the worst trade in NHL history. On the other hand, the Flames may still be better off with Lucic than they would have been hanging onto a disinterested/defiant Neal.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 AM   #329
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Unpopular Opinions about Flames

The Flames are in their Mike Keenan 2.0 phase.

Plenty of talent on paper that goes nowhere and is too afraid to make changes. Not helped by what is potentially the weakest prospect group in the league.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 10-20-2019 at 12:12 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #330
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

If building a team that can win the Stanley Cup was the only consideration (not ticket/merch revenue), the Flames should completely retool. Monahan and Johnny should be traded. They are complimentary pieces, not team-drivers. They do not have an extra gear or that “it factor” needed to carry a team to a championship.

The Flames will not win the Cup with this group, which sucks because they’ll be just good enough to make the playoffs most likely every season. All that will do is delay our chances at having a team that can win it all.

Last edited by MillerTime GFG; 10-20-2019 at 07:44 AM.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #331
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
If building a team that can win the Stanley Cup was the only consideration (not ticket/merch revenue), the Flames should completely retool. Monahan and Johnny should be traded. They are complimentary pieces, not team-drivers. They do not have an extra gear or that “it factor” needed to carry a team to a championship.

The Flames will not win the Cup with this group, which sucks because they’ll be just good enough to make the playoffs most likely every season. All that will do is delay our chances at having a team that can win it all.
I don’t think this is unpopular or outlandish. It’s probably more likely just what people don’t want to hear.

I disagree both need to be moved though. I think if your looking at absolute win now you trade Monahan as he never really gets engaged. But if your looking for maximizing for the future you trade Gaudreau as he is more of a flight risk to want to go home once he hits UFA.

The game is about speed. But physicality never left. We haven’t had a big skilled player who plays hard since Iginla left and we need it so bad. I don’t know who would even be available out there but trading Monahan for someone who plays a harder game would be huge for immediate impact. I don’t even feel he’s a problem or anything. The problem is just too many talented floaters up top and if you take a hit talent wise to bring in someone who can pick up the pace of the game (which even if you disagree completely with my take I don’t think anyone can dispute the Flames have a pace of game problem) then you have a win.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #332
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

The Flames need to trade defensemen, not forwards. Get some value from Hamonic now, maybe even look at Gio for a high end forward.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #333
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not sure how serious or non-troll-y this thread is, and I thought about posting this in the PGT, but I decided to post here.

I really don't think Hanifin and Hamonic work well together. They're fine against non-playoff teams playing without intensity or sustained forechecking pressure, but they're far too weak for a 2nd pair that wants to go deep in the postseason or have any sustained success.

The pair routinely lose puck battles against determined forecheckers, either coughing up the puck or getting forced into moving the puck to the wrong areas. Hanifin is far too tentative, often losing focus and getting walked around or making dumb decisions or letting guys get in behind him. The pairing often misjudges how much time they have. they either make casual passes that handcuff forward momentum, or think they have less time than they do and rush passes. Either way they make poor decisions and surrender control right into the forechecking trap.

Hamonic is fine on the breakout, provided the other 4 guys work hard to get him the puck with space, but he's horrible in the offensive zone, either through not pinching, or blasting the puck into shinpads, or not seeing and making dynamic passes. He's also bad at defending zone entries, and backs way too far back and gives rushes all kinds of space. Hanifin is decent in the offensive zone, but his lack of concentration, intensity, and decisiveness, combined with how poorly he and Hamonic work together in all 200 feet really doesn't inspire confidence in me.

As this chart shows, this pairing is one of the worst in the league at generating good chances and also one of the worst at not surrendering good chances. Yet they also have some of the most time together in the league.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #334
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I don’t think this is unpopular or outlandish. It’s probably more likely just what people don’t want to hear.

I disagree both need to be moved though. I think if your looking at absolute win now you trade Monahan as he never really gets engaged. But if your looking for maximizing for the future you trade Gaudreau as he is more of a flight risk to want to go home once he hits UFA.

The game is about speed. But physicality never left. We haven’t had a big skilled player who plays hard since Iginla left and we need it so bad. I don’t know who would even be available out there but trading Monahan for someone who plays a harder game would be huge for immediate impact. I don’t even feel he’s a problem or anything. The problem is just too many talented floaters up top and if you take a hit talent wise to bring in someone who can pick up the pace of the game (which even if you disagree completely with my take I don’t think anyone can dispute the Flames have a pace of game problem) then you have a win.
Yea, I was debating where to post it, as I don’t think it’s outlandish either.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #335
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

We were sold a bill of goods on Geoff Ward.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #336
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The Flames players are going to get Bill Peters fired.
That's the pattern isn't it? Since Treliving joined the team they made the playoffs in the first year under Hartley, tuned him out and he was fired in year two. First year under Gulutzan they make the playoffs, tune him out and he was fired in year two. Looks to me like exactly the same Flames team in year two of Hartley and Gulutzan where the effort isn't the same and the team looks like they are not playing for the coach.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #337
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
We were sold a bill of goods on Geoff Ward.
Yep. This powerplay has largely been very unimaginative. It's basically the same plan of cycling down low trying to set up Lindholm or Monahan. It's become very easy to defend. There's too much talent on the first unit for this powerplay to be below average.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #338
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s a few unpopular opinions that aren’t just “I’m a ridiculous fan who overreacts to every loss”:

1. Yelling “C” and “Red” during the anthem is cringe. We aren’t the only team that does this but it’s no less cringey here.

2. The Flames should start refusing entry to people wearing knock off jerseys from China.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #339
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Here’s a few unpopular opinions that aren’t just “I’m a ridiculous fan who overreacts to every loss”:

1. Yelling “C” and “Red” during the anthem is cringe. We aren’t the only team that does this but it’s no less cringey here.

2. The Flames should start refusing entry to people wearing knock off jerseys from China.

Maybe the NHL shouldn’t charge $300 for a long sleeve shirt
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #340
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not sold on Peters as a coach. Not saying he's bad but doesn't seem like a players coach. More of a hardass type that wears out his welcome faster than others.

Plus Carolina seems to be doing better without him.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote