Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #461
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Medicare for all who want it
15 seat supreme court with 5 chosen unanimously by the other justices
Douglass Plan
National Service Program
Abolishing the Electoral College
Carbon Tax
Pulling out of Afghanistan
Universal Background Checks and Assault Rifle Ban
Comprehensive Immigration Reform and Pathway to citizenship
You'd have to be studying Pete's website or lurking his twitter pretty hard to get all of that out of him. I'm pretty sure the only people who can rattle that stuff off are his supporters. Not to mention, some of those are just run of the mill Democratic party policies that don't distinguish him from any of the other candidates.

Anyway, here's the WaPo fact check from the debate.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #462
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
You'd have to be studying Pete's website or lurking his twitter pretty hard to get all of that out of him. I'm pretty sure the only people who can rattle that stuff off are his supporters. Not to mention, some of those are just run of the mill Democratic party policies that don't distinguish him from any of the other candidates.

Anyway, here's the WaPo fact check from the debate.
I'm fairly politically engaged, so I could tell you a fair amount of what each of the frontrunners is pitching. It doesn't take a close study of their websites. Not even sure I've visited any websites - only listening to debates, social media, political podcasts, etc.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #463
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I have said multiple times Biden would beat him

Irrelevant if Canadians on CP think he is too old or bad at debates. Biden will win a the usual dem states and likely enough swing states. If it was popular vote I might go with someone else but it's not.

Yang or someone "current" can be VP
The biggest problem with Biden as the candidate is that he doesn't excite the base or those on the fence to vote. This is particularly important for the Democrats who are traditionally more fickle than Republicans when it comes to voting. You could argue that Trump himself is engaging the base to get out and vote as witnessed in the midterms. However, Clinton was in a similar situation to Biden: she wasn't an exciting candidate for the base, she didn't move the needle with independents and she was considered the 'safest' candidate.

Bernie may not win the nomination but he has definitely captured the soul of the Democratic party and moved them further to the left and away from their more recent position of being corporate centrists. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen but now most of the Dem candidates have policies that would have been considered somewhat radical just 4 years ago. Biden has not really moved in the last 4 years. In addition to his poor debate performances, it makes him seem even older and out of touch.

I suspect that if Biden does win the nomination it will help Trump despite what the polling currently shows. Trump is terrible at debates but he will make Biden look even worse. It will engage the right and deflate the left.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #464
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beto ends bid:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/polit...out/index.html

Quote:
O'Rourke told supporters in an email that he will not run for office next year. That means he will also not become a Senate candidate in Texas, despite pleas from some Democrats for him to take on Republican Sen. John Cornyn.

"Though it is difficult to accept, it is clear to me now that this campaign does not have the means to move forward successfully," O'Rourke said in a statement.

"My service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee. Acknowledging this now is in the best interests of those in the campaign; it is in the best interests of this party as we seek to unify around a nominee; and it is in the best interests of the country."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #465
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm honestly a little surprised that he didn't hang in it until Texas, which is still early in the calendar and where he's consistently polling above the 15% threshold necessary for gaining delegates. No other candidates outside of the frontrunners have that sort of path in the big picture.
It probably benefits Biden more than anyone else to lose another conservative-lane rival, but if it's enough to put Warren or Sanders over the 15% threshold in Texas then it benefits them too. Hopefully we get some more polls in Texas in the next couple weeks, as it's been over a month since the last high-quality poll.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #466
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just surprised he dropped before Gabbard, Bennett, Williamson, Castro, Bullock, Delaney, Sestak and Messam. You could even add Booker and Klobuchar to that list, who he consistently polls ahead of, but at least they're close and are major figures (although no one but the media seems to like Klobuchar at all).

The hope has to be that the herd thins before the November debates. Maybe this will produce that outcome.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #467
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Beto turned out to be an idealistic flake imo. The Democratic race will be better off with his departure.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #468
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

His speeches, if you turned on mute, appeared like he was delivering a very enthusiastic poetry slam.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #469
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andrew Yang, even with his super low chance of winning, still gives me hope for the future in this era of political madness...

His speech the other night:

Old 12-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #470
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Andrew Yang joins the group of Biden, Buttigieg, Sanders, Warren, Steyer and Klobuchar for the December debate by securing 4% of a 4th poll today. Gabbard could still qualify but already stated she wouldn't participate even if she gets the required 4% by Thursday. Harris already qualified but ended her campaign last week.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204516788731568129
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #471
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it just me, or does Cory Booker look like Iggy to anyone else? if you told me he was his older brother, I'd believe you.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #472
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Gotta love this article from Politico about an existential breakdown in the Democratic party:

‘They let him get away with murder’: Dems tormented over how to stop Bernie

Love the phrasing.

And it shows just how pathetic Democrats truly are that their lack of a spine to stand up to Republicans has forced the base farther left than they liked and now they are freaking out.

Maybe Obama should've forced through judges and Merrick Garland when he had the opportunity instead of playing a game only he followed the rules for?

Amazing how many Democratic operatives don’t understand the simple facts that: 1.) there is a big unmet need for a political movement that actually tries to help poor and working class people; and 2.) politics is a lot more appealing to people when it’s framed in moral terms rather than technical terms. Those two principles get you like 90% of the way to understanding Sanders’ appeal. But the Democratic professional class just doesn’t get it because they view politics as a puzzle game for affluent, well-educated technocrats.

Last edited by GirlySports; 01-28-2020 at 08:19 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #473
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Maybe Obama should've forced through judges and Merrick Garland when he had the opportunity instead of playing a game only he followed the rules for?
How exactly was he supposed to do that?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #474
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
How exactly was he supposed to do that?
Be as dirty as the republicans. Grind Senate to a halt or ram Garland through during recess.

The Democrats were too over confident they would win in 2016 that they weren't desperate enough.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #475
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Gotta love this article from Politico about an existential breakdown in the Democratic party:

‘They let him get away with murder’: Dems tormented over how to stop Bernie

Love the phrasing.

And it shows just how pathetic Democrats truly are that their lack of a spine to stand up to Republicans has forced the base farther left than they liked and now they are freaking out.

Amazing how many Democratic operatives don’t understand the simple facts that: 1.) there is a big unmet need for a political movement that actually tries to help poor and working class people; and 2.) politics is a lot more appealing to people when it’s framed in moral terms rather than technical terms. Those two principles get you like 90% of the way to understanding Sanders’ appeal. But the Democratic professional class just doesn’t get it because they view politics as a puzzle game for affluent, well-educated technocrats.
The Democratic party and media took a lot of heat on how they treated Bernie in 2016, so this is just a natural swing the other way where they give him lots of leeway so they don't look like they are doing it again. I don't see it as much more than that. Your two points are tertiary. Warren is running on a almost identical platform as Bernie and she has received less support (showing that its often about personality not the meta issues) and has faced much more scrutiny for her policies. (showing that people are willing to critique the policies when they aren't afraid of how it makes them look due to Bernie's history)

I will once again add that Bernie Sanders has still never actually bothered to join the Democratic party, so I'm really not sure why people think the party needs to play nice with him. But that's for another day I guess...
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #476
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
The Democratic party and media took a lot of heat on how they treated Bernie in 2016, so this is just a natural swing the other way where they give him lots of leeway so they don't look like they are doing it again. I don't see it as much more than that. Your two points are tertiary. Warren is running on a almost identical platform as Bernie and she has received less support (showing that its often about personality not the meta issues) and has faced much more scrutiny for her policies. (showing that people are willing to critique the policies when they aren't afraid of how it makes them look due to Bernie's history)

I will once again add that Bernie Sanders has still never actually bothered to join the Democratic party, so I'm really not sure why people think the party needs to play nice with him. But that's for another day I guess...
The DNC's corporate media backers have had their knives out for Bernie for months, exacerbated even further by Bernie publicly supporting CNN's unionized workers during their dispute with the company.

This is what's always made me laugh about the whole "left-wing bias in MSM" nonsense. You can call it a liberal bias, but it certainly isn't left-wing. Honestly, if Bernie gets the nom, I expect to see much more flattering coverage of Trump from CNN, NY Times, etc., leading up to the general election.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #477
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

This really demonstrates just how terrible most of these candidates are. Money is no object and everything is an entitlement. Who will pay for it all? They don't care and neither should you apparently...

Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #478
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
This really demonstrates just how terrible most of these candidates are. Money is no object and everything is an entitlement. Who will pay for it all? They don't care and neither should you apparently...
Haven't they all been clear that billionaires will pay for it all? And by cutting military spending.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #479
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Haven't they all been clear that billionaires will pay for it all? And by cutting military spending.
Bernie has also simply stated that taxes for the middle class will be going up but moderately compared to what uber wealthy individuals and corporations will be paying.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #480
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Stossel has found new life grifting for the anti-lib faction. I can't believe the guy used to be a respected newscaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote