Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Cutting the cord

I've been thinking for a while now that I may cut the cord and get rid of the cable bill. I have a few questions though that I was hoping people might be able to help me with...

1) I heard a while ago about stations switching over to digital and that you can no longer pick the signal up with rabbit ears. Did this ever happen? Is there a certain box I need to make it work or do the newer OTA antennas pick them up fine? From what I figure I could get 3 stations in my area (CBC, CTV and Global) which is good enough for me.

2) I signed up for the free month of Netflix to try it out but haven't used it yet because I don't feel like sitting at the computer. How do I get it to broadcast on my non-smart TV? I don't have a laptop to connect to the TV (that would be the easiest way) but the house has wifi.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You can watch netflix on your ps3 or xbox but you'll need to be signed up on xbox live. I think there are a bunch of media players that also have the netflix app on them.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't have an Xbox or PS3, you can also buy a set top box like an AppleTV or Roku or similar for Netflix (and other streaming sources).
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I've been thinking for a while now that I may cut the cord and get rid of the cable bill. I have a few questions though that I was hoping people might be able to help me with...

1) I heard a while ago about stations switching over to digital and that you can no longer pick the signal up with rabbit ears. Did this ever happen? Is there a certain box I need to make it work or do the newer OTA antennas pick them up fine? From what I figure I could get 3 stations in my area (CBC, CTV and Global) which is good enough for me.

2) I signed up for the free month of Netflix to try it out but haven't used it yet because I don't feel like sitting at the computer. How do I get it to broadcast on my non-smart TV? I don't have a laptop to connect to the TV (that would be the easiest way) but the house has wifi.
1) You need rabbit ears that are UHF capable. It's basically like regular rabbit ears except there's a connected ring to the base. Depending on whether your TV has been manufactured in the last 5 years, it may or may not have the digital conversion built in. I don't quite remember what the manufacturer term for that feature is. If it turns out that you don't, you will need to get a converter box from a place like London Drugs or the The Source.
If you haven't already, tvfool.com would tell you where the signal is coming from and what channels you should get.

2) Keep in mind the moment you are billed for Netflix your month starts, regardless if whether you use it or not. If you have a non-smart TV, don't have a laptop or a setup box like Boxee, Apple TV, or WD Live, you don't have any way of getting it to your TV.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the replies. So if I get something like this I'd be able to stream from my computer to it by wifi and could have it hooked up to my TV? Does it have some sort of browser built in or would I have to keep running upstairs to where the computer is to hit play on what I want to watch.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watch my Netflix on the Wii and have it setup to get the US version. Works on Wifi perfectly. You just download the Netflix channel and your set to go.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't had cable in over a year and don't miss it too much. Netflix is a good option but you can get Global, CTV, CityTV online and watch shows that way as well. If you run a proxy you can get the American netflix along with NBC, CBS etc.

I miss channel surfing every now and then on a lazy sunday but with 3 kids that is few and far between.

I use a laptop with wireless mouse keyboard hooked up to the tv but if I could or eventually will pick up the Roku. I think it is the best of the bunch of the streaming devices but I am also not an Apple household so you might think differently if you are. And these devices are independent of your computer, essentially they are mini computers.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Thanks for all the replies. So if I get something like this I'd be able to stream from my computer to it by wifi and could have it hooked up to my TV? Does it have some sort of browser built in or would I have to keep running upstairs to where the computer is to hit play on what I want to watch.
If it's the same as a WD Live (it should be) then it will have a built in netflix app and built in wireless capability. You can stream directly from your wireless router to your TV. Your computer wouldn't need to be turned on. You would navigate the netflix menus with the remote control. You could also stream shared media files directly from your computer if you wanted.

If you don't mind spending more the Boxee Box is even better.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Depending on whether your TV has been manufactured in the last 5 years, it may or may not have the digital conversion built in. I don't quite remember what the manufacturer term for that feature is. If it turns out that you don't, you will need to get a converter box from a place like London Drugs or the The Source.
If you haven't already, tvfool.com would tell you where the signal is coming from and what channels you should get.
You are looking to see if your TV has an ASTC Tuner. If your TV has that- you are in business. I would also recommend going to somewhere like Princess Auto and getting an antenna for $20-25.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to do this. How do you guys deal with the live sporting events though? I guess just pay for gamecenter or something?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I built an ugly OTA antenna out of a 2X4 and coat hangers for a grand total of 4.50$

And it works perfectly.

That with Netflix and some sort of Media Server would have you set.

Though I have still yet to find a suitable alternative to TSN and Sportsnet for my cheap ass.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I want to do this. How do you guys deal with the live sporting events though? I guess just pay for gamecenter or something?

Paying for live streaming of NHL, MLB, NFL games is definitely an option.

I use other methods but the quality is not the greatest but serviceable. Live sports streams are not to difficult to find and I do a have a few reliable sites to use.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

does something like the WD live or any of the other devices allow me to go to sites like Discovery Channel, CBC, etc... and watch some of their videos or would I be better off hooking a laptop to the TV to do stuff like that?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can connect your computer to your TV. The best way is by an HDMI cable. You can run up to 25' with no problem. You could also use a DVI to HDMI or VGA connection if your TV has one but they don't carry audio like the HDMI does.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pisses me off to no end that you have to have a gold live subscription for netflix to work on the Xbox.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
NHL = Gamecentre Live
CFL = TSN
Blue Jays = suck
NFL = go to a bar

NFL is just TOO expensive... sometimes I'll find free streaming over the web.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
NHL = Gamecentre Live
CFL = TSN
Blue Jays = suck
NFL = go to a bar

NFL is just TOO expensive... sometimes I'll find free streaming over the web.
Game centre will black out local and national broadcasts so you may need a proxy.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Pisses me off to no end that you have to have a gold live subscription for netflix to work on the Xbox.
Doesn't the PS3 version of Netflix also run at a higher resolution too? Either way, I use the PS3 for Netflix because no XBL gold needed, the PS3 runs quietly compared to the Xbox, and the Wifi connection seems to be much smoother/faster on the PS3 as well.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might have to find a cheap used PS3.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #20
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
This is what prevents me from cutting the cord completely. I like my Flames hockey and Game Centre blacks out Calgary market which kind of ruins the point.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post: