Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it's supposed to be more energy and water efficient. Most of the time it doesn't really matter, and you can always run express wash.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #62
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have a non-Chinese Bosch from 2017 (can't recall where it was made). Fantastic dishwasher. Still works awesome, people are always blown away with what I can get away with putting in it (pots pans, dirty plates). Run it daily overnight so run time of 2:20 is zero issue, plus it has a speed cycle for when you're in a jam and need it quick.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #63
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there some secret to what makes a dishwasher more effective than others? For all intents and purposes ours has the jets and stuff in all of the right places, and I have done some thorough cleaning jobs of the part to get rid of the hard water build up, but still some things never come clean, and pre-rinsing the dishes and stuff seems counter productive. Am I expecting too much to put in a knife used to spread peanut butter or a pot that has some noodle residue on the bottom and have them come out spotless?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #64
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there some secret to what makes a dishwasher more effective than others? For all intents and purposes ours has the jets and stuff in all of the right places, and I have done some thorough cleaning jobs of the part to get rid of the hard water build up, but still some things never come clean, and pre-rinsing the dishes and stuff seems counter productive. Am I expecting too much to put in a knife used to spread peanut butter or a pot that has some noodle residue on the bottom and have them come out spotless?
I'll put pots with cooked on rice in (the residual after scraping what I can out) and they come clean, and ya, plenty of peanut butter knives go in my dishwasher as well. So you're not expecting too much.

No idea what makes a good dishwasher vs. bad. Imagine mostly related to jet placement and water pressure it can generate, and longer cycle times may also allow for additional soaking time to loosen foods.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #65
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright. Future kitchen reno includes a new dishwasher. We have some 1990s era model of a Maytag that was probably original to the house.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #66
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It doesn't require a full reno to replace a DW. They pull out fairly easily like a stove or fridge.

Probably better for your wallet too to distribute the cost over more time. Plus you can enjoy the new DW ASAP
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #67
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've got an older version of that, I think. Same controls(thoguh mine are on the front) and inside looks the same. Anyway, it's been great. Had it about 5 years, and never pre-wash anything. Nice and quite as well. Only complaint is the 2.25 hour cycle time, though you can do a speed wash in an hour. Crazy the price difference though, I paid $750 for mine in white.
Speed wash is now down to 30 min on the newer models
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #68
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So there's a down-side I've learned to our super quiet 39db Bosch: It's so quiet that I sometimes don't realize it's on and open the damn thing mid-cycle.

There's a red indicator light that shines beneath the door to let you know it's on since the display is incognito, but of course I forget to check. This is really my fault, not a fault of the dishwasher, but worth pointing out.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #69
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
So there's a down-side I've learned to our super quiet 39db Bosch: It's so quiet that I sometimes don't realize it's on and open the damn thing mid-cycle.

There's a red indicator light that shines beneath the door to let you know it's on since the display is incognito, but of course I forget to check. This is really my fault, not a fault of the dishwasher, but worth pointing out.
I have the same issue with my Miele. Like you say, it's my fault not the dishwasher, but it happens regularly in my house!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #70
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Bosch Ascenta and it's fantastic. It is super quiet and can handle almost any dish thats reasonably dirty. Love the delay start too. It was an upgrade but IMO definitely worth the extra $ over a standard one
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #71
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have the same issue with my Miele. Like you say, it's my fault not the dishwasher, but it happens regularly in my house!
Humblebraggards.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #72
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

One other thing I believe I heard is miele is the only dishwasher with a spray arm for the 3rd rack.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote