Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2022, 09:39 AM   #201
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Denmark post BA2 has over 3 million infections so 50% infection rates aren’t unreasonable to be at.
True, but Denmark's most recent wave has been far more prolonged than Canada's. Their case levels have been significantly elevated above the prior baseline for over 4 months now, while Canada's wave was about half that long. They've also had something like 30K hospitalizations in this wave, which is about equivalent to 23K hospitalizations in Alberta (that's more than Alberta has had the entire pandemic). And that's despite them having a very fast booster rollout, which would tend to depress hospitalization rates at a given case level, as it would shift infections to a younger demographic and reduce severity in the older boosted demographic. I don't know, maybe Canada has seen attack rates that high, but I don't think the hospitalization rates support it, particularly given our poor booster rollout. Nor do I think there's any reasonable argument that Canada has seen a higher attack rate than the UK, who is likely seeing their highest infection rates of the entire pandemic right now, and are about the break the hospitalization record.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #202
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Serious question, does anyone here know anybody who has been hospitalised because of covid in the last 2-3 months? I ask because between my GF and myself we know or know of over 70 people who got it with varying degree's of sickness but with the worst being a bad cold or a moderate flu but most just sore throat and minor cold that lasts a couple of days.
So while I mentioned a few months ago that I got covid and it was mainly mild cold like symptoms at the time when I posted, I ended up getting complications after about 10 days where I developed acute bronchitis for over a month. There were definitely some bad days where I felt I needed to go the emergency room and had difficulties breathing and chest pain with a wheezing cough, but I still decided to tough it out. I most probably should have gone with the symptoms I had.

For viral bronchitis there's really nothing much to do but wait it out. I still have a lingering cough and my chest still feels rough, but nothing like how it was. I've had bronchitis from a bad flu in the past and my experience from that time and going to the hospital is all they can do is alleviate your symptoms.

Triple vaccinated. Maybe it didn't do nothing for Omicron, maybe it saved me from even worse complications. Either way never got clinically tested or gone to the hospital, so I won't be a statistic, but there are situations like mine that didn't make the hospitalization numbers.

My wife meantime got absolutely nothing this whole pandemic. I also know of of a couple anti vaxxers who just got a bit of a cold with Omicron. That's how life goes sometimes.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:13 PM   #203
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Serious question, does anyone here know anybody who has been hospitalised because of covid in the last 2-3 months? I ask because between my GF and myself we know or know of over 70 people who got it with varying degree's of sickness but with the worst being a bad cold or a moderate flu but most just sore throat and minor cold that lasts a couple of days.

I know of two people who have family members who were fine with covid, but needed medical care for the long covid after their initial recovery. One who was in hospital for about a week (and is still on bed rest for the foreseeable future), one who has almost permanent chest pains.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:06 PM   #204
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

We got another weekly update today. It looks like there has been no appreciable decline in non-ICU hospitalizations in about 2 weeks. The ICU count is under 50 for the first time since late-August.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...evere-outcomes
Old 03-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #205
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Best wishes. You are not alone.

We also got sick last week, our first bout with covid... after 2 years, surprised we held out this long- and honestly, at least since school had started last fall, we were back to pretty much "normal" life.

Our 7 month old started coughing Wednesday. Wife and I with the dry/scratchy throats Thursday & Friday. Saturday I had pretty tough headache/body ache/tiredness. Sunday it got a bit better, but the cough started. Wife was always slightly less severe than me. Monday both even better, cough intermittent. Today I feel like a human being again, just in time for our 7 year old to start coughing. She was doing the puking thing BEFORE the baby was sick last week, and she had tested negative then so I thought it was a different thing... maybe not. Weird that she is now getting the cough though.

My wife and I lost our taste and smell yesterday. I was feeling better so I took a shower, and I could not smell the smelly soaps. Reading online about that is scary, it could be back in a few days, weeks, months, or never

The worst part (so far) has been the baby coughing at night. It interrupts our her rest, our rest, and my mental well-being. I'm so worried that she'll need some help that any noise wakes me.

Anyway, I am 3x vaccinated, wife 2x, 7 year old none yet, and baby none. The only thing different lately is that we've not been wearing masks...
Regarding the taste and smell, I lost mine for about 2 weeks. Weirdest thing ever - literally zero taste or smell yet my nose was perfectly clear.

As I said, mine came back, but then about 8 weeks later my sense of smell went all wacky. Meat and well, poop and gas has a sweet metallic smell. Some flavours have a perfume taste and I can't figure out which ones. And I think overall, my sense of taste and smell is less than what it use to be. Maybe a good weight loss program.

Hope you're feeling better.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #206
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
We got another weekly update today. It looks like there has been no appreciable decline in non-ICU hospitalizations in about 2 weeks. The ICU count is under 50 for the first time since late-August.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...evere-outcomes
The graph goes up to March 28th, so two weeks prior would be the 14th.

March 14th:
Non-ICU: 953
ICU: 71

March 28th
Non-ICU: 917
ICU: 47

Considering the wholesale relaxing of restrictions, the fact that things are going down is great news.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2022, 07:44 PM   #207
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My ex's friend is one of he unlucky ones suffering from long covid. She got it before vaccines were available in 2020 and has been suffering from severe fatigue ever since, unable to walk at a slow pace for long durations without panting for breath. Feel so bad for her. She's part of BC's long covid study group.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:28 AM   #208
Knut

Exp:

Vitamin D supplementation had no effect on preventing Acute COVID illness.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/vit...qT8eyaC-Tafn5E

Quote:
There were multiple strengths to this study, including the baseline low levels of vitamin D, and the demonstrable effectiveness of the supplements. Compared to the study I blogged about a year ago, this was a more typical (daily) dose versus a single massive dose. There were few dropouts and a modest number of COVID-19 cases. The limited number of cases, particularly of hospitalizations, means we need to be cautious in making definitive conclusions. However, there was no suggestion of benefit.

In this randomized controlled trial, vitamin D had no effects on the incidence or consequences of COVID-19 or other acute respiratory infections. This was despite active treatment with vitamin D that did meaningfully raise serum vitamin D levels.

This is another prospective trial with vitamin D in COVID-19 to show no meaningful effect in the prevention of acute illness. Having said that, it’s clear that (at least in this population) vitamin D deficiency is widespread, and supplementation may be appropriate for individuals anyway. But there continues to be no persuasive evidence to suggest that vitamin D supplementation will help protect you from COVID-19 infections.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 10:22 AM   #209
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Vitamin D supplementation had no effect on preventing Acute COVID illness.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/vit...qT8eyaC-Tafn5E
Yeah I am gonna wait until I hear from Joe Rogan on this, but thanks.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2022, 11:43 AM   #210
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Regarding the taste and smell, I lost mine for about 2 weeks. Weirdest thing ever - literally zero taste or smell yet my nose was perfectly clear.

As I said, mine came back, but then about 8 weeks later my sense of smell went all wacky. Meat and well, poop and gas has a sweet metallic smell. Some flavours have a perfume taste and I can't figure out which ones. And I think overall, my sense of taste and smell is less than what it use to be. Maybe a good weight loss program.

Hope you're feeling better.

Thanks for the well-wishes. We are slowly improving.

Can't wait to get smell back, although yes we have been eating less since becoming sick. I could lose a few, so in the short-term this would be ok
Old 03-31-2022, 12:21 PM   #211
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
One of my staff had a short stay in the hospital after Christmas due to covid complications. He was dangerously dehydrated and was taken via ambulance to the hospital. They gave him IV fluids and released him the next day. He is obese and has other health issues.

A friend's Dad and former boss of mine has been in the ICU for the last 6 weeks or so. He was sedated and intubated the last time I checked with the family. He is in his late 60s, obese, and was posting in support of the convoys before his hospitalization.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #212
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A former colleague passed away earlier this week. Early 50s. I am unsure of comorbidities or vaccination status as I have not seen him in years, and obviously did not think it appropriate to ask.

Just after Christmas, the 20 year old daughter of a friend contracted COVID and had respiratory issues serious enough to visit urgent care, but did not get admitted. She is a U-Sports athlete.

That said, my teenage son had COVID in the same timeframe, and it was nothing more than a sore throat for a few days. No one else in the household contracted it.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 10:28 PM   #213
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I just got Covid for the second time. Felt a bit off today, took a rapid test and 15 minutes later, those two red lines. So lots of couch time for Peter12. FFS, when will this bad boy be gone?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:09 AM   #214
darkmemoria
Draft Pick

Just tested positive for the second time. Had omicron at the beginning of January, just about 90 days...
darkmemoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:39 AM   #215
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Well I just got Covid for the second time. Felt a bit off today, took a rapid test and 15 minutes later, those two red lines. So lots of couch time for Peter12. FFS, when will this bad boy be gone?
It is out there like crazy now. Hope you feel better.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #216
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmemoria View Post
Just tested positive for the second time. Had omicron at the beginning of January, just about 90 days...
Hmm, that's somewhat troubling to hear, that is a super short interval between reinfections.

My social/family/work circle was nuts with Omicron from Christmas to early February then dropped off to nothing. In the past week there have been close to 1/2 dozen people I know who have got it.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #217
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmemoria View Post
That's crazy how short the immunity is after getting it. Hopefully it will be a mild go.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #218
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's odd, because most scientific data shows reinfection that quickly being exceedingly rare. But there's simply far too much anecdotal evidence of it happening to believe it's that rare. I'm guessing that BA.1 and BA.2 are different enough from one another that some people can get reinfected in pretty short order.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #219
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe UK was saying that over 10% of all their infections currently are people who had Omicron in the past 90 days so it's somewhat common with this strain.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/rise-c...ry?id=83809079
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:58 AM   #220
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slept 11 hours, woke up feeling like I had a bad cold. Definitely a fever, chills, and dry cough. Feeling pretty damn tired too. Thank god for the vaccines.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote