Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Has Jack Eichel already played his best hockey?

Sorry for another Eichel thread but I think this question won’t get adequately answered elsewhere.

First off, the premise. I think everyone here agrees that adding a top flight centre to the Flames would be awesome and worth the assets used to do it, but what I think the divide is is whether or not anyone agrees on if Eichel’s many question marks will get good answers.

So the question is: Has Jack Eichel already played his best hockey?

If Eichel is traded for, once he comes back from surgery, can he be expected to still play at a ~90 point pace and be a threat every night? Or will the injury and potentially risky surgery not be the perfect fix, and he’s constantly in and out of lineups with issues relating to it or just never the same player afterwards.

I ask because I really don’t know. If I knew Eichel would come back as an elite center, I’d be comfortable trading big assets for him, but I’m also very uncomfortable with his health status. Is this a gamble worth taking?

Side discussion, don’t let it derail the thread: The same thing is going on with Monahan right now, can he ever be the same player again? If he won’t be then why will Eichel?

Merge/delete this if it’s dumb
Old 10-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

More Jack Eichel talk please.
Cycling76er is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cycling76er For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Moar Eichel!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack Eichel was a couple goals shy of PPG while playing through this injury before shutting it down.

I am confident that not only will he be a dominant force, but the chance to play on a balanced roster will make his job easier than it's ever been.

He's too explosive a creator to not be a very effective piece. A linedriver who can produce on PP1, with speed, size. And under Sutter, he'll probably learn to play more of a Kopitar style conservative game where he doesn't need a four point night to be a dominant force.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I want to see another one just to see how many heads will explode.

I would make it but don't want to be sin binned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

For 10M we should be talking 100 points...PPG bare minimum
Old 10-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll use this extra Eichel talk as an opportunity to trash the Oilers.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid hits his career high in points this season, while he hit his career high in points per game last season. It's downhill from there.

Elite players often peak offensively around the age of 24/25.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s hoping. **** the Knights.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Actually thats a good direction to take this thread. Are the truly elite players peaking earlier than the good ones?

Ovi and Crosby both had their 100+ point seasons in the first 5 years of their careers.

Still had strong PPGs later, but had more shortened seasons so didn't hit those totals
Old 10-29-2021, 08:22 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nobody really knows the answer to this. If I had to pick one or the other, I would say yes. He missed a large part of his 23 year old season (pandemic), most of his 24 year old season (injury), and will be missing most of his 25 year old season (injury). Those are the years that elite players usually hit peak production these days. There is a good chance that by the end of this season, he will have played less than 30 games over 2 calendar years, and less than 100 over 3 calendar year. All in his early 20s.

Of course, production is not all there is. Most elite players slow down in producing, but become better overall players on the back half of 25. I worry that not playing a lot, and not even being able to practice hard, are going to affect his development.

For his sake I hope I am wrong, but I think there is a lot of reason to be concerned that his best years have already passed.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #12
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think he is going to be a way different player and whoever gets him will regret what they gave up to get 3 or 4 years of him. That's my opinion.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The surgery may work, but there could be scarring, the area could be weaker and susceptible to further injury, he may not come back as strong.

I’d still roll the dice but it’s a significant risk.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep bouncing back and forth on this.

I really don’t know if I want the Flames to trade for Eichel or to stay away, and I really want make up my mind before he is traded.

Crosby had some bad injuries and came back, Kucherov of course came back, I can’t think of many big stars that didn’t come back from injury so early in their careers. It makes me think that yup, Eichel will be back, no problem, but then I think neck issues are voodoo. I’m definitely thinking about it too much.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:27 PM   #15
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's still a surefire bet to be a PPG player or a notch above it.

But he may have missed that point in his career where he would've flirted with 110 or 120, if he had that capability in him. Because of covid and the injury, we probably won't know.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #16
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
I think he is going to be a way different player and whoever gets him will regret what they gave up to get 3 or 4 years of him. That's my opinion.
Its not "3 or 4",

It'll be 4.25 years, roughly. And 5 post-seasons, depending on the team he goes to.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #17
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He's still a surefire bet to be a PPG player or a notch above it.

But he may have missed that point in his career where he would've flirted with 110 or 120, if he had that capability in him. Because of covid and the injury, we probably won't know.
He has been this type of a scorer 2 times in his career out of 6 years. I hope he comes back strong but I wouldn't be laying any bets that he is PPG player.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #18
Stochansky
Draft Pick

Long time lurker weighing in: I’ll totally admit that I was so frustrated with the last several seasons that I was 100% on board with Eichel regardless of cost. Feel free to paint me a complete homer, but I look at how this team is playing under Sutter (small sample size acknowledged) and I can’t help but think that the cost of Eichel isn’t worth what we’re currently working with. I’m leaning towards being very happy if the Flames avoid an Eichel deal (presuming it is involving a Dube/Mangiapane + draft picks) and look at other avenues to improve moving forward. *Thanks Zamler*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stochansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope he isn't another Lindros. I know that head injuries are different than spine injuries, but both should give people concern.

A lot of people who missed Lindros's early years don't realize that he was a phenom who was considered "the next one", and how truly dominant he was. A few teams chased the dragon after Philly's medical and training staff broke him, but he was never the same. I don't want to see Eichel in that pile.

Guys like Crosby and Lemieux overcame some serious injuries and were still dominant, but for every example of success, there are ones who aren't as lucky.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #20
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Buffalo really screwed him. By the time he plays again it will be over a year since he played a game. It will take him a while to get back into game shape and speed. And then the team that trades for him hopes the surgery goes well and he can be back to full health for the 3.5 years they have him. It's a big gamble.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote