Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #4281
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
You can have a very rich life filled with friends, family, community, and contribution while guided by a strong moral compass without also believing in fairytales and choosing baloney over rationality.

At the very least, I am strongly opposed to indoctrinating children with BS and potentially damaging beliefs, traditions and rituals (eg circumcisions, boys alone with priests, etc). If people want to join areligious clubs and teams, there are plenty out there. Adding in teachings from a book or two that have been outdated for a good couple thousand years is poor parenting imo.
I often admire the organizing ability of religions, and lament that we aren't able to pull together and have the same effects as they are, without turning it into some kind of gimmick (church of Satan). It's probably the same reason that they have such an outsized impact on the American political process.

You know, I am super careful to make sure my kids don't get the blind unquestioning indoctrination, they go to public school, they have never been inside a church, they rarely if ever have interacted with people who go to church unsupervised by me, and still they have managed to bring home questions about god.

I've actually found the marvel movies, and planets very useful for this. I can compare the gods represented by the planets or Thor & Odin to jesus, Using names they recognize, talk to my kids about how a lot of these myths were developed to explain things we didn't understand like the motion of the planets, the cause of thunder and lightning or origins of earth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #4282
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Interesting fact that is more random than a sign of Trump losing, but never in American history have 4 straight presidents been re-elected to serve a full 8 years. Prior to Clinton -> Bush -> Obama, the only other time 3 consecutive have served 8 years was Jefferson -> Madison -> Monroe.
Trump is in the same league as Monroe if he wins next
Old 09-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #4283
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1310378828188057605

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 09-27-2020 at 06:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #4284
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
of course it had to be Florida
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #4285
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
New York Times just dropped what looks like a massive expose on Trump's tax history:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ump-taxes.html

I haven't dug into it yet, but the un-shocking nutshell is that he's worth a lot less than claimed, but also may have misrepresented losses to claim tax refunds.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/27/u...takeaways.html

This link provided a point form overview for optimum forum posting:
Quote:
Among the key findings of The Times’s investigation:

- Mr. Trump paid no federal income taxes in 11 of 18 years that The Times examined. In 2017, after he became president, his tax bill was only $750.

- He has reduced his tax bill with questionable measures, including a $72.9 million tax refund that is the subject of an audit by the Internal Revenue Service.

- Many of his signature businesses, including his golf courses, report losing large amounts of money — losses that have helped him to lower his taxes.

- The financial pressure on him is increasing as hundreds of millions of dollars in loans he personally guaranteed are soon coming due.

- Even while declaring losses, he has managed to enjoy a lavish lifestyle by taking tax deductions on what most people would consider personal expenses, including residences, aircraft and $70,000 in hairstyling for television.

- Ivanka Trump, while working as an employee of the Trump Organization, appears to have received “consulting fees” that also helped reduce the family’s tax bill.

- As president, he has received more money from foreign sources and U.S. interest groups than previously known. The records do not reveal any previously unreported connections to Russia
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:04 PM   #4286
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Why are people fleeing California en mass?
People are leaving the California for other states more than any other state for a couple of reasons it seems: housing prices and the political climate.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #4287
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Why are people fleeing California en mass?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...20756734_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...19590183_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...60962495_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...64732139_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...45615685_zpid/

I think you get the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #4288
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
People are leaving the California for other states more than any other state for a reason it seems: California is the single most populated state in the US therefore a relatively small percentage of migration, far lower than most states looks like a large amount on paper if you are looking to prove the libtards are screwing the state up, which if course ignores the fact that California is just about the economic engine of the US which somewhat belies the idea the libtards are doing anything wrong
fyp
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #4289
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/27/u...takeaways.html

This link provided a point form overview for optimum forum posting:
It's not a big deal. I bet you Locke could get trump down to $0 without much effort given the right circumstances. The tax code is awful and a rich guy taking advantage is somewhere ranging from non-story to positive because only an idiot intentionally overpays taxes.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #4290
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Which is a bigger deal? Trump paying next to no tax or the fact that he's got like $400m in loans coming due in the next couple of years?

I know covid time is wacky, but I had no idea it was October already
Old 09-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #4291
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
At the very least, I am strongly opposed to indoctrinating children with BS and potentially damaging beliefs, traditions and rituals (eg circumcisions, boys alone with priests, etc). If people want to join areligious clubs and teams, there are plenty out there. Adding in teachings from a book or two that have been outdated for a good couple thousand years is poor parenting imo.
I occasionally go to church.

I have never been alone with a priest or minister or the like. I didn’t have to get circumcised to attend church or join a congregation (in fact, no one has ever asked if I am not and I’m not aware of anyone else being asked either).

One can certainly go to a church, listen to the sermons, take away from them what you want, and not believe in so-called fairy tales or allegedly outdated teachings or whatever it is you are ranting about. Indeed, not much of most mainstream Christianity is fire and brimstone anymore and most sermons in most churches are about social justice, trying to be a better person, using biblical stories to teach about wisdom or love or understanding, and lessons that are more or less about general positivity. Some churches are into the whole prosperity gospel too, but that is another topic.

Can you live a good, moral life without going to church? Of course. But some of us need some encouragement and reinforcement, and church helps with that.

Regardless, it should be noted that areligious clubs and teams and groups have their share of moral and ethical lapses too, and kids in them are sometimes subject to damaging behaviors and acts too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #4292
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's not a big deal. I bet you Locke could get trump down to $0 without much effort given the right circumstances. The tax code is awful and a rich guy taking advantage is somewhere ranging from non-story to positive because only an idiot intentionally overpays taxes.
Ok, but where's his wealth? It's not like he is Jeff Bezos with billions of dollars in stocks. He has a bunch of property that is over leveraged or he just puts his name on for a fee and doesn't own at all.

He's always been about borrowing money to build a shiny facade with TRUMP in giant letters, and using that fake wealth to borrow more money.

It gets him the use of jets, gold plated penthouses, high end golf courses, and eastern european trophy wives, but not actual money in the bank account that can be taxed. If you push that too far, you probably go to jail.

He's running the country the same way and it will catch up to us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 09:04 PM   #4293
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

And Jared deleted all his tweets tonight. Coincidence?
Old 09-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #4294
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
I occasionally go to church.

I have never been alone with a priest or minister or the like. I didn’t have to get circumcised to attend church or join a congregation (in fact, no one has ever asked if I am not and I’m not aware of anyone else being asked either).

One can certainly go to a church, listen to the sermons, take away from them what you want, and not believe in so-called fairy tales or allegedly outdated teachings or whatever it is you are ranting about. Indeed, not much of most mainstream Christianity is fire and brimstone anymore and most sermons in most churches are about social justice, trying to be a better person, using biblical stories to teach about wisdom or love or understanding, and lessons that are more or less about general positivity. Some churches are into the whole prosperity gospel too, but that is another topic.

Can you live a good, moral life without going to church? Of course. But some of us need some encouragement and reinforcement, and church helps with that.

Regardless, it should be noted that areligious clubs and teams and groups have their share of moral and ethical lapses too, and kids in them are sometimes subject to damaging behaviors and acts too.
I always go to church when I am in the UK, there is something deeply moving about sitting in a stone building that's a thousand years old listening to evensong or just quietly meditating, I also tend to go to midnight mass and pray for my kids, its a tradition for me that goes back almost 40 years, I cant say there isnt a God and I will take any help I can get, even from the flying spaghetti monster
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #4295
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought a lot about Trump not paying taxes was mostly known already because of some heavy losses. What new information is this providing?
Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #4296
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

That the vast majority of what he has done is fraudulent. He's over-reported the value of properties to generate losses so he can dodge taxes on his income. He's a grifter that is finally being caught in his grift and will have to answer for it. There is so much shady stuff in those returns that the audit has to come against him. He manufactured deductions by doing a lot of borderline stuff that may just land not only him in prison, but his kids too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #4297
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I always go to church when I am in the UK, there is something deeply moving about sitting in a stone building that's a thousand years old listening to evensong or just quietly meditating, I also tend to go to midnight mass and pray for my kids, its a tradition for me that goes back almost 40 years, I cant say there isnt a God and I will take any help I can get, even from the flying spaghetti monster
Really cool post.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #4298
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought a lot about Trump not paying taxes was mostly known already because of some heavy losses. What new information is this providing?
There's much talk of trump supporters not admitting they will vote for him to pollsters, I wonder if it might end up being the other way round though, that there will be a chunk of them to say they are Trump till they die but will actually not bother because its really hard not to realize its all a con
Old 09-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #4299
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
of course it had to be Florida
We all like to make fun of Florida, but this isn’t a “Florida thing.”

Wishing him and his family the best. Suicide is no joke.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #4300
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
We all like to make fun of Florida, but this isn’t a “Florida thing.”

Wishing him and his family the best. Suicide is no joke.
I agree, a tad flippant of me
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread