Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #8681
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default American Politics 3.0 - Back to Brunch

Garland appoints special counsel in Biden documents investigation

https://cnn.it/3Xrz8Kp

Quote:
- JUST IN: Attorney General Merrick Garland announced he has appointed a special counsel to take over the investigation into President Joe Biden’s potential mishandling of classified documents.

- The White House confirmed Thursday aides located documents with classified markings at two locations inside Biden's home in Delaware. Biden told reporters the materials were in a locked garage and that he was cooperating fully with the DOJ.

- Several people associated with Biden have been interviewed as part of the department's investigation into these documents from his time as vice president, according to sources.
The special counsel is Robert Hur.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:32 AM   #8682
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe these classified documents should just self destruct after a period of time. Mission Impossible has been doing it for decades. Hell, even Inspector Gadget had it figured out.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:38 AM   #8683
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
That kind of theater is exactly what's wrong with journalism these days.
Ok, so you disagree with the presentation of the information, but what about the information.

Do you disagree with the information presented?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:53 PM   #8684
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Ok, so you disagree with the presentation of the information, but what about the information.

Do you disagree with the information presented?

I don't want to speak for the other poster but this presentation and "60 second analysis" does come off as child like. "Well what we did wasn't good but the other guy was worse"

That may be true, but the level of accountability here stinks for the Democrats and the Republicans.

You can't always accuse the other side of being worse if your doing the exact same level of garbage but with a more polished look.

We can sit here and say that Trump is (insert whatever words we want) but in the grand scheme of things, are the Democrats really better in this scenario? In most scenarios?

If we go back to the Hillary Clinton email scandal from the election years ago, this is similar, if not way worse because of what we don't actually know about the material and the communication what was in them.

A lot of people don't really understand the background story with regards the Hillary Clinton Blackberry/email scandal and think it's a small thing but it wasn't.

The rules and the laws apply to everybody, not just the little minions like us. Whatever reason, Democrats and Republicans like to think it doesn't and play these games and have (insert political media) feed us with their garbage.

After the entire scenario with Trump and these documents, did nobody in charge from the Democrat side actually go ahead and ask the question "do we have anything to actually worry about on OUR side, so we don't look like ****'s?" Does Obama have anything to worry about? If regular people did even 1% of this garbage in the corporate world, they would be fired and potentially charged with an offense.

I just think we need real journalism asking real questions about the people who have their power. Not some 60 second clip of some idiot who can't breath properly explain to us why breaking the rules in a less bad scenario is ok cause the other sides idiot was worse.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:38 PM   #8685
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I don't want to speak for the other poster but this presentation and "60 second analysis" does come off as child like. "Well what we did wasn't good but the other guy was worse"

That may be true, but the level of accountability here stinks for the Democrats and the Republicans.

You can't always accuse the other side of being worse if your doing the exact same level of garbage but with a more polished look.

To me, this viewpoint is exactly why we are in the world we are in. If the degree of difference between the two situations is ignored then it just feeds into the “all politicians are crooks so it doesn’t matter if we elect one” viewpoint that prevails today. Accountability doesn’t exist - when was the last time a sitting politician in the US was forced to resign due to public pressure?

Quote:

The rules and the laws apply to everybody, not just the little minions like us.
Completely agree
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 03:21 PM   #8686
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1613575271273173004

The Dems must have not been able to talk Biden out of running in 2024.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 03:42 PM   #8687
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

They're reporting it because..........it's news?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 03:59 PM   #8688
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Imagine being so warped by your views that you can't fathom the idea of holding everyone accountable regardless of what team they play on. Scary stuff.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 04:10 PM   #8689
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Imagine being so warped by your views that you can't fathom the idea of holding everyone accountable regardless of what team they play on. Scary stuff.
In fairness, I haven't seen anyone here argue that should be the case.

There HAS been an argument of proportionality.

You can't say drinking and driving, and doing 60 in a 50 are both driving offenses and call it a day.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 04:15 PM   #8690
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
In fairness, I haven't seen anyone here argue that should be the case.

There HAS been an argument of proportionality.

You can't say drinking and driving, and doing 60 in a 50 are both driving offenses and call it a day.

I was referring to Yoho and whomever he was posting the tweet from being so utterly cynical, and thinking that the only reason a news source would be reporting on a Biden issue has to be due to some other underlying reason or intent. Instead of...just reporting the news.

I won't reiterate what Sliver already nailed earlier, but there is a strange idea in some circles that think that "the other team" on whatever issue would be furious if their own members were held to the same standards they hold others to...while the majority of people would be content with everyone being held to that same standard regardless of what team they play for.

Last edited by Cain; 01-12-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 04:57 PM   #8691
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1613575271273173004

The Dems must have not been able to talk Biden out of running in 2024.
It’s disappointing that with so many actual conspiracies that you could be dedicating your time to exposing you’re just regurgitating the non-sense someone else is likely peddling on other social media platforms and passing it off as your own thoughts. If speculation that is only supported by hypothetical plausibility was facts you’d really be on to something here. Wishing you all the best in getting better.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:29 PM   #8692
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:41 PM   #8693
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden is an idiot.

You have to investigate with the same vigor as that used to investigate Trump.

While I agree that the notion of proportionality should exist, this is just a bone headed move by Biden.

I sure hope the Dems are able to convince him not to run again.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 08:51 PM   #8694
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1613548933241774083
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 09:47 PM   #8695
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Biden is an idiot.

You have to investigate with the same vigor as that used to investigate Trump.

While I agree that the notion of proportionality should exist, this is just a bone headed move by Biden.

I sure hope the Dems are able to convince him not to run again.
I think the Americans need to revisit handling and control of classified documents.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:43 PM   #8696
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I think the Americans need to revisit handling and control of classified documents.
In truth the whole Trump thing was probably somewhere between him doing it as some weird power play just because he wasn't supposed to but figured that he could, and a backup plan where he thought he could sell something off to bad actors with money in the future if required. An explanation half way between those two seems to match up best with the pieces of his twisted mind that have been revealed to the public.

And the whole Biden thing is probably a symptom of over classification. the Full weight and resource of the American government will be musted for a years long investigation which will reveal the day after he leaves office it was something completely benign that really didn't need to be marked classified. But you know now we can't complain that plan C for Trump was to sell of nuclear secrets if the grift catches up to him, because Biden did something vaguely similar.

I could be wrong, but those two explanations match perfectly with who those two guys have repeatedly told us they are.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:57 AM   #8697
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If Biden treated top secret documents incorrectly, he should be punished. There's still a huge if there. I don't see anything wrong with that statement at all.

Trump most certainly mistreated top secret documents. He should also be punished. I personally think that he is most deserving of the punishment codified for the treason he committed.
This. Best take. Biden should be punished to the full extent of the law (at the time the documents were obtained) just like any other citizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
If we go back to the Hillary Clinton email scandal from the election years ago, this is similar, if not way worse because of what we don't actually know about the material and the communication what was in them.

A lot of people don't really understand the background story with regards the Hillary Clinton Blackberry/email scandal and think it's a small thing but it wasn't.
Okay, I'm curious. Would love to hear your take on an issue that boiled down to a policy violation and an action to cover-up a procedural error by the third party supporting her personal email server. What exactly was so egregious here that it wasn't a small thing, because I see the same or worse every day in local and state government.

Quote:
The rules and the laws apply to everybody, not just the little minions like us. Whatever reason, Democrats and Republicans like to think it doesn't and play these games and have (insert political media) feed us with their garbage.
They clearly don't apply to everybody. Those in more senior and powerful positions routinely get away with transgressions that would get lesser people fired or arrested. There SHOULD be a more consistent application of such rules and laws, but the reality is there is preference given to those who are in positions of power - and this happens at every level of government. I could tell you stories that would straighten your pubes.

Quote:
I just think we need real journalism asking real questions about the people who have their power. Not some 60 second clip of some idiot who can't breath properly explain to us why breaking the rules in a less bad scenario is ok cause the other sides idiot was worse.
Agreed 1000%!!! The role of media used to be to speak truth to power. Now they are a promo tool. They suck up to those in power because if they don't they are refused access. It used to be that if a politician refused access to a journalist that they would get raked over the coals and get booted from office. Now it is viewed as a badge of honor if you can duck the media and refuse access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
No, curves is right in saying that the rules just need to be applied fairly, equitably, and judiciously. All of these politicians are schooled on how to handle such data, they just need to follow through.

On the Biden issue, we need more information. These people have a number of aides who put information and briefings together for them and then handle the docs after the fact. This could very much be a situation of classified materials being filed after a brief and forgotten about after moving on to a new assignment or workspace. Seen this happen a lot. The issue here, as with all handling of classified materials, will be intent. Trump REMOVED materials with intent and was not doing so related to his duties of office. Biden appears to have had these documents as part of the execution of the duties of his office and has turned them over as soon as they were discovered. Intent will matter here. There is purposeful intent on one individual's part and no intent on the other. Biden may get a slap on the wrist for failure to follow document handling policy but Trump should face criminal charges for actual breaking of the law, and it is all based strictly on intent.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:14 AM   #8698
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

it should be noted that the only way to get things back to normal is applying the laws fairly and not as a bludgeon to use on the other side when one gets back into power.

that said, I have way more confidence that Biden and his lawyers will be more cooperative and forthright with investigators than Trump has been.

self-reporting demonstrates that already.

the two situations are not equal on their face, based on the information that has come to light so far...but we'll see if there's anything else
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:49 AM   #8699
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
This is so ridiculous. The fact the Democrats couldn’t do proper oppo research should require the passing of a law.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:09 PM   #8700
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
This is so ridiculous. The fact the Democrats couldn’t do proper oppo research should require the passing of a law.
OR...and hear me out here...we would like to ensure ALL candidates submit truthful backgrounds/resumes/ CV's. Or, if you'd rather, you could have Herschel "I was an FBI agent" Walker in the senate passing bills like President Camacho.

I truly cannot understand how anybody could be against something like this. We already have enough issues with broken promises, slanderous campaign ads, and general misinformation in election cycles. You don't want to remove just a small amount of dishonesty in politics? I don't get you at all.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote