Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #481
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Are the odds specifically for sacking, or just for not being the manager? Sacking seems insane, but he could walk, especially if (when?) Barca comes open.
yeah, somehow I doubt that.

"I would never coach Barcelona," he said last year. "I would sooner go back to my farm in Argentina. I'm very attached to Espanyol, I'm a big fan of Espanyol. I'm faithful to my heart and my emotions."

https://www.marca.com/en/football/ba...2708b45c8.html
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #482
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the guy was the first manager in 27 years to not get a single signing in and he still took them to the CL final. That's a manager that just feels unsackable to me, and a loss to Newcastle and a tie against Arsenal certainly doesn't change that IMO. If they sit outside the top 6 by Christmas then that's a different story, but right now? Seems crazy to me.
As mentioned no one is suggesting he's going to be sacked.

In the last 15 PL games they have 15 points. That's relegation, not top four form. And that's a sample size of nearly half a season. He's in year six I think, and I would hardly consider the squad solid or gapless. Not to mention there is a strong chance they have to cash in one of their best players in January or lose him for nothing in the summer.

I'm guessing the money is being placed on the chance of him walking. No doubt between now and January is going to be interesting times for Spurs.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #483
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
That's not how odds work. They'll offer bigger odds to attract coin.
Yeah I got that backwards. Maybe the odds were driven down by people buying the idea of a loss against Arsenal and him getting axed after that? It just seems crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Are the odds specifically for sacking, or just for not being the manager? Sacking seems insane, but he could walk, especially if (when?) Barca comes open.
I don't know. I would think that he'll end up at Madrid, but allegedly he was approached last summer and declined. Of course that could be entirely made up, and it's impossible to know, but I would think he'd be more likely there than Barcelona.

I actually could see him staying at Tottenham for a while though, and then going to coach the Argentinian national team.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #484
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As mentioned no one is suggesting he's going to be sacked.

In the last 15 PL games they have 15 points. That's relegation, not top four form. And that's a sample size of nearly half a season. He's in year six I think, and I would hardly consider the squad solid or gapless. Not to mention there is a strong chance they have to cash in one of their best players in January or lose him for nothing in the summer.

I'm guessing the money is being placed on the chance of him walking. No doubt between now and January is going to be interesting times for Spurs.
who was the last high profile manager to walk? They never do, and for good reason. Pochettino isn't stupid, he wouldn't give up the money. His last renewal was kind of high-profile, I'm sure he'd get paid quite a bit if sacked. And as for the links, the first one even specifically says "first to be sacked".

Their PL form in the past 15 has been bad, no doubt about it. But again, he made top 4 and the CL final without any additions. I imagine his leash is considerably longer than it would be for other managers.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #485
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
who was the last high profile manager to walk? They never do, and for good reason. Pochettino isn't stupid, he wouldn't give up the money. His last renewal was kind of high-profile, I'm sure he'd get paid quite a bit if sacked. And as for the links, the first one even specifically says "first to be sacked".

Their PL form in the past 15 has been bad, no doubt about it. But again, he made top 4 and the CL final without any additions. I imagine his leash is considerably longer than it would be for other managers.
And further, if a club like Spurs are sacking their manager there had best be someone better readily available.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #486
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like Bagor engaging in some wishful thinking. Maybe they can fire up the "Poch to United" bots and get rid of OGS, who looks to be way over his head.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #487
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This sounds like Bagor engaging in some wishful thinking. Maybe they can fire up the "Poch to United" bots and get rid of OGS, who looks to be way over his head.
some people think he is, and while I wouldn't outright object to that, I think "OGS is not good enough" simplifies matters too much. He's made mistakes for sure, but Woodwards squad planning is a huge issue as well and if they had actually converted their god damn penalties the start to the season would have been a lot more positive. I'm certainly willing to give him time, I know many fans aren't. But at some point, you just have to accept it's not always the manager.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #488
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So deflective and defensive.

You presented a question. I presented the odds. Not bots.

Bookmakers adjust odds based on money laid down coupled with their personal estimate. Joe Public feels Poch is one of the favourites to be not in their position in the near future.

Knock yourself out. Have a bet.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #489
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Again. No one is suggesting he is going to be sacked, or for that matter he is on a short leash. Takes the time and actually open and read the links.

Managers walk all the time if a better opportunity comes up? Such a subjective question based on what you define a high profile manager to be? Most recent I can think of is Rogers left on the verge of clinching a title to join Leicester.

You seriously suggesting if things continue to go south for Zidane and Madrid come knocking Poch is guaranteed to stay put?

Old 09-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #490
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again. No one is suggesting he is going to be sacked, or for that matter he is on a short leash. Takes the time and actually open and read the links.
I don't know what your problem is here. I understand how betting works, I'm just stating why I think that Joe Publics decision to throw a lot of money at Poch leaving is stupid. Then again, I'm one of those who think that sports betting in general is dumb and needs to die, so what do I know.

Quote:
Managers walk all the time if a better opportunity comes up? Such a subjective question based on what you define a high profile manager to be? Most recent I can think of is Rogers left on the verge of clinching a title to join Leicester.
fine, maybe "high profile" was a bit vague. Let's talk top 10 teams in the PL then. I'd imagine it'd be a very, very, very short list.

Rodgers did what every sane person would do, he left a truly terrible league for a job at a solid top 8 PL team. That's a huge step up. But realistically, I don't see a lot of teams that would represent a better opportunity for Pochettino. You'd have to imagine that the other top PL teams are not an option and he's said many times that he'd never go to Barcelona.

Quote:
You seriously suggesting if things continue to go south for Zidane and Madrid come knocking Poch is guaranteed to stay put?
no, but I doubt that happens anytime soon. I think IF Poch was to walk, then it would be for Real for sure ... but Zidane got a lot of power and money when he came back, I don't think there's going to be an opening there anytime soon.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #491
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what your problem is here. I understand how betting works, I'm just stating why I think that Joe Publics decision to throw a lot of money at Poch leaving is stupid. Then again, I'm one of those who think that sports betting in general is dumb and needs to die, so what do I know.

fine, maybe "high profile" was a bit vague. Let's talk top 10 teams in the PL then. I'd imagine it'd be a very, very, very short list.

Rodgers did what every sane person would do, he left a truly terrible league for a job at a solid top 8 PL team. That's a huge step up. But realistically, I don't see a lot of teams that would represent a better opportunity for Pochettino. You'd have to imagine that the other top PL teams are not an option and he's said many times that he'd never go to Barcelona.

no, but I doubt that happens anytime soon. I think IF Poch was to walk, then it would be for Real for sure ... but Zidane got a lot of power and money when he came back, I don't think there's going to be an opening there anytime soon.
My problem is that despite my insistence that I believe the money is based on the chance that he will leave the conversation reverts as to why he won't be sacked. Nothing to do with how betting works.

And Rogers didn't do what any sane person would do. Rogers did the opposite of what Fergie did. And the complete opposite of what Martin ONeill did. So no, it's not strictly a matter of sanity. Nor is high profile an EPL exclusivity.

Might I remind you that Fergie at Aberdeen turned down offers from two stable top six teams (Arsenal and Spurs) to stay in a "truly terrible league". Insane? He would say not and moreso a case waiting on the right club. Strange thing for a low profile manager to do.

And if Rogers's move was so sane I take it you consider Martin ONeills was absolute insanity considering he did the complete reverse a few years earlier despite Leicester wanting him to stay. Suddenly going from a high profile to a low profile manager?

My point is. Managers will always move when they feel they have reached their expiry date or when they feel a change is warranted and the team fits.

Unless you're Steve McLaren.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #492
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

dude this isn't the 80s, football is different today. Fergie is the perfect example, he didn't win anything in his first years at United and still wasn't canned. No manager will get this kind of time these days, especially at a bigger club. And that isn't the only thing that's changed since then, the PL is a completely different beast these days than the First Division was back then and the Scottish league has faded into obscurity. Fergie won the Cup Winners Cup in 83 with Aberdeen, these days Celic are runaway league winners every year and they do nothing in Europe. Is Scotland even a top 10 league in Europe right now? A top 10 PL club is easily a big step-up.

As for Rodgers, I do think he was waiting for the right club. He was linked to Newcastle and West Ham last year, but declined. Then Leicester came along and it's a good fit. He wasn't going to get a better gig, it's a stable top 8 club.

Discussion has spiraled away a bit from Poch now lol. I won't argue your point that managers are going to leave when they feel they've overstayed their welcome and/or a bigger club comes calling, I just don't see it. Especially it being the start of the season and all, I just doubt there'll be an opening at Real soon and I doubt he'd just leave Spurs.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:41 PM   #493
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fergie is the perfect example, he didn't win anything in his first years at United and still wasn't canned. No manager will get this kind of time these days, especially at a bigger club.
Poch?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #494
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
some people think he is, and while I wouldn't outright object to that, I think "OGS is not good enough" simplifies matters too much. He's made mistakes for sure, but Woodwards squad planning is a huge issue as well and if they had actually converted their god damn penalties the start to the season would have been a lot more positive. I'm certainly willing to give him time, I know many fans aren't. But at some point, you just have to accept it's not always the manager.
I definitely think OGS' leash is longer largely because of the lack of transfers and what that signifies in terms of the club's state and current goals.

The Squad needed some turnover and this is likely a transition period and I'd bet management has given him a target to hit and its likely Top 4, but if they're smart they've got a longer term plan in mind and its about taking steps in that direction right now.

Very similar to what Spurs did with Pochunspellableino. He got little in the way of transfer support and depth but that was clearly outlined in the agreed-upon plan.

Frankly, most clubs are and should be, wary of handing large transfer warchests to new managers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #495
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not going to pretend that football isn't a fast-paced and cold-blooded business these days, but man, Watford sacking Javi Gracia after 4 games despite a really solid last season just feels wrong. Bringing back Quique Sanches Flores to replace him is a bit of head scratcher as well.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #496
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not going to pretend that football isn't a fast-paced and cold-blooded business these days, but man, Watford sacking Javi Gracia after 4 games despite a really solid last season just feels wrong. Bringing back Quique Sanches Flores to replace him is a bit of head scratcher as well.
It's normal in Italy tho, so for pozzo hes probably been waiting a while to be able to bring this to england
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 AM   #497
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cantona, and this hard man, are my two faves ever.

Give this a gander. No punches pulled towards SAF.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #498
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Premier League champions Manchester City are the first team in football history to spend more than €1 billion to assemble their squad, a study has shown.

Quote:
French champions Paris Saint-Germain were second having spent €913 million and Spain's Real Madrid were third with €902m.

Manchester United (€751m) have the second-most expensive squad in the Premier League followed by Champions League winners Liverpool (€639m).

This study follows a report from Deloitte which showed European clubs from the "big five" leagues spent over €5bn during the summer transfer window for the first time.

The top 10 clubs to spend the most on current squad:

1. Manchester City (€1.014bn)
2. Paris Saint-Germain (€913m)
3. Real Madrid (€902m)
4. Manchester United (€751m)
5. Juventus (€719m)
6. Barcelona (€697m)
7. Liverpool (€639m)
8. Chelsea (€561m)
9. Atletico Madrid (€550m)
10. Arsenal (€498m)
https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchest...on-squad-study

Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #499
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, you now know the exact cost of buying the title.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #500
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really speaks to the job Poch has done at Spurs when you consider they're not even in the top 10 there.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote