Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #1041
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently there was a commotion in the Jays locker room after the game, and it sounds like it was caused by Stroman who was supposedly not a fan of the trade when he first heard.

Like is said, probably was looking forward to going to a contender but instead he's going to a dumpster fire haha.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:17 AM   #1042
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like the deal personally, but that's because I wasn't expecting much more than this for Stroman. I was never really behind the idea he was going to land you multiple top 100 prospects or land you an organizations 1 or 2 prospects, especially when you factor in that the Jays were clearly focused on arms in the deal. The league really seems to be trending away from trading top prospects unless you are getting a true superstar or Ace (ala Chris Sale) and that isn't Stroman.

to get a guy who was a Top 100 prospects recently and pitched in the Future's game and then a guy in SWR who has been called a "stud" by more than a few people on twitter (and sounds like he could be a top 100 or even top 75 prospect soon) I think is a pretty good return. Not great sure, but I'm not that convinced a great return was coming for him and it sounds like that is the case from some of the insiders out there.

Last edited by cross16; 07-29-2019 at 09:20 AM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #1043
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I like the deal personally, but that's because I wasn't expecting much more than this for Stroman. I was never really behind the idea he was going to land you multiple top 100 prospects or land you an organizations 1 or 2 prospects, especially when you factor in that the Jays were clearly focused on arms in the deal. The league really seems to be trending away from trading top prospects unless you are getting a true superstar or Ace (ala Chris Sale) and that isn't Stroman.

to get a guy who was a Top 100 prospects recently and pitched in the Future's game and then a guy in SWR who has been called a "stud" by more than a few people on twitter (and sounds like he could be a top 100 or even top 75 prospect soon) I think is a pretty good return. Not great sure, but I'm not that convinced a great return was coming for him and it sounds like that is the case from some of the insiders out there.
Yes - I think I fall in the same camp. Mind you, I am not a baseball nerd, so my knowledge is superficial. The round-table discussion on the Athletic seemed to be pretty positive - the main sentiment there was "what the f are the Mets doing?"

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #1044
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'm ok with the Stroman trade. I mean the Lefty looks like your standard late 1st round college selection... a collection of average pitches with average control/command (a left-handed TJ Zeuch basically) but he's left-handed and has a pulse so he'll probably play in the majors is some role or another. Woods-Richardson seems like a guy worth getting excited about... I'm pretty sure you can count the number of 18 year olds pitching in A ball on one hand (and maybe have some fingers to spare) plus he get's K's, a lot of K's. Yeah he's really young and a long way off... but if he ends up so good that he's worth waiting for then that's really good and if you just can't wait then the higher he get's on the org chart then he returns surplus trade value.

This isn't a bad return... could have been better could have been worse.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #1045
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

People talk about Woods-Richardson being far away from MLB, which is true. But it does not matter.

It's about the asset and what its projection looks like.

In 2 years when we are hopefully in contention, and looking to add at the trade deadline from a bottom feeder. They will want prospects in return. If Woods-Richardson continues on his path, then we just loaded our chamber for a great deadline acquisition in 2 years.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:37 AM   #1046
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is there any indication that we're a couple years from contention? I thought in baseball you had to be really strong across the board. Maybe I'm a little too casual to comment but I don't feel like I see indication that there's a bunch of strong position players and pitchers that are just a couple years out and we're contending.

I see a star in the making in Vladdy and then like 3 or 4 possible strong MLB players 2 - 3 years down the road IF they all pan out. I mean it's possible we have like one good pitcher in two years.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #1047
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ehh, I get your argument Jiggy. But if we were going to be contending in two years, we'd have have some good high end arms either about to break through, or we'd have a Marcus Stroman type or two right now.

And lets face it, Rogers isn't going to hand Atkins and Shapiro an extra $50 million to buy a pitching staff.

Honestly, the trajectory we are on has us hoping to be a .500 team in two years. Contention is probably two more years after that. Though undoubtedly SWR could still be a bullet for that big name trade at that point too.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #1048
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ehh, I get your argument Jiggy. But if we were going to be contending in two years, we'd have have some good high end arms either about to break through, or we'd have a Marcus Stroman type or two right now.

And lets face it, Rogers isn't going to hand Atkins and Shapiro an extra $50 million to buy a pitching staff.

Honestly, the trajectory we are on has us hoping to be a .500 team in two years. Contention is probably two more years after that. Though undoubtedly SWR could still be a bullet for that big name trade at that point too.
We might get lucky and the team gets sold this offseason

One can wish!!!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #1049
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’m OK with the trade. B-. The 18 year old seems like the real prize who should rise up the ladder quickly given his K rate.

Never wanted Stroman to get traded so judgement is a little clouded.

Hazel Mae has confirmed Bo will be starting SS tonight.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #1050
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

My guess is 2 or 3 starting pitchers make it and are impactful mid rotation arms over the next couple of seasons. Maybe even better if a guy like Manoah or Pearson can actually become an ace. At that point the FO will use prospect capital to acquire an ace that will make the rotation contention worthy. Like Verlander and Sale as past examples.

Also, I disagree that Rogers won't pony up the dough when the time comes. If they can manage to build a contender attendance will rise again, and they will pay to put the team over the top. They did last time.

The difference will be that this time the core of position players will be mostly 25 or under instead of 30 or older. Should be able to stay in contention much longer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #1051
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a great return, but I think people were expecting too much for Stroman. He’s not a marquee pitcher. He’s in the three spot on any championship caliber team.

That said, the Jays need to have some veterans to help these young guys along. Never been a Stroman fan, but there was no reason not to resign him if he was willing.

As much as I #### on Rogers for being cheap, Stroman burned a lot of bridges with management so this one might not all be on money.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:01 PM   #1052
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I meant that Rogers wasn't going to buy a pitching staff right now, which is what we would need to contend in two years. They would spend more if/when the team starts finding success and that translates at the gate and on TV.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #1053
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bo singles in his first MLB at bat!
Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #1054
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been on vacation and haven't really been paying attention to sports... saw that Sogard got traded to the Rays but what did he end up returning for the Jays?
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #1055
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
i've been on vacation and haven't really been paying attention to sports... Saw that sogard got traded to the rays but what did he end up returning for the jays?
ptbnl × 2

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #1056
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggio homers. 4-3 Jays
Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #1057
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this is pretty much it for a while as far as future core position player prospects go.

Vlad
Bo
Biggio
Gurriel
Jansen

Only other one thats close would be Alford, if he could actually stay hot and healthy at the same time for more than five minutes.

Tellez, Urena, Mckinney aren't likely to be much more than depth players IMO.

Any other potential core position players are probably too far away to see the MLB even next season.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #1058
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the Stroman deal at all. It can't possibly be the best deal you can get for that player when it's four days away from the bloody deadline.

Lou Lamoriello says "if you have have time, use it". I don't care if Stroman wasn't a true David Price type of ace, but he's a damn good starting pitcher with two ALCS trips under his belt. Teams want to win the World Series, and to do that, you need pitching. You can never have enough pitching, and Marcus Stroman is better than an awful lot of pitchers out there. Teams get desperate as the deadline approaches, they pay more. That seems pretty basic.

You make the trade now if you're getting multiple Top-100 prospects and it's a can't miss deal. There's nothing about this that seems 'can't miss', it seems like they did the deal with the Mets to spite Stroman knowing he wanted to go to a contender.

I know that's not why they did it, but nonetheless that's how it looks to me.

I'm really curious to see Bichette. I love watching great shortstops, they can transform a team. The Tulowitzki trade transformed that Blue Jays team.

I look forward to seeing if Bichette is that guy.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 07-30-2019 at 10:46 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #1059
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

David Phelps to the Cubs for 24 year old AA starter Thomas Hatch.

Quote:
Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Slider: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 40

Hatch missed 2015 with a sprained elbow ligament that didn't require surgery, then returned to lead Oklahoma State to the 2016 College World Series by working 23 straight shutout innings during the NCAA tournament. Chicago's top pick (third round) that June, he made his pro debut in high Class A the next year. He has been durable in two pro seasons but has had some unexpected issues with his control and pitch sequencing.

In college, Hatch's two main pitches were a low-90s two-seam fastball and a low-80s slider. The Cubs wanted him to focus on using a four-seamer and changeup to combat left-handers, but he took that too far in 2018 and got hit when he relied too much on the straighter of his two fastballs. On the positive side, his changeup was his best offering at times last year, and he showed the ability to sit at 93-94 mph and touch 96 with his four-seamer.

Hatch also has had difficulty avoiding barrels because his control has been spotty. He pounded the strike zone when he was the Big 12 Conference pitcher of the year in 2016 but finished second in the Double-A Southern League with 61 walks a year ago. He has better stuff than most of the system's starting pitcher prospects, but he could wind up as a middle reliever if he can't improve at locating and mixing his offerings.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:44 PM   #1060
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hahaha. You can’t even make this #### up.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-mlb-teams-...oman-1.1344098
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote