Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #421
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is some value to having his posts here, just to get some insight into what one of the trolls look like. As long as we are all on the same page in recognizing exactly what he is.

It's like, no one likes rats, but they provide a valuable service in the lab.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #422
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I appreciate where you're coming from, but I also dislike seeing a thread that's on a serious topic getting filled with posts that are just mocking a troll. I would rather still write and read posts that have substance and might help people to understand the HK and China issue better while confronting trolling. I'm not just writing to him alone.
The CCP and Chinese State Media is trying to equate criticism of them to criticism of the Chinese people. This is absolutely not what most Hong Kongers, or internet posters are pushing for but the propagandists like to draw that parallel so Mainland Chinese people seem to feel like they are personally being attacked.

I'm not trying to engage the guy personally, just making sure that his viewpoints don't become the something others read as the majority post in the thread since mods seem to be asleep or something. Do I post a response or should I leave disinformation alone for it to fester? Sometimes I don't really know.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #423
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
The CCP and Chinese State Media is trying to equate criticism of them to criticism of the Chinese people. This is absolutely not what most Hong Kongers, or internet posters are pushing for but the propagandists like to draw that parallel so Mainland Chinese people seem to feel like they are personally being attacked.

I'm not trying to engage the guy personally, just making sure that his viewpoints don't become the something others read as the majority post in the thread since mods seem to be asleep or something. Do I post a response or should I leave disinformation alone for it to fester? Sometimes I don't really know.
Oh okay, so HK people beat up any mandarin speakers they come across because they think that all mandarin speakers are representatives of the mainland government, not because they are nativist pieces of garbage with a falsely instilled sense of superiority due to a colonialized mindset? Okay, whatever you want to believe bud...
AnonymousStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #424
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Remember that Taiwanese reporter that was attacked for simply speaking mandarin?

https://www.hotpot.tv/news/taiwanese...ounded-by-hong
Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #425
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I appreciate where you're coming from, but I also dislike seeing a thread that's on a serious topic getting filled with posts that are just mocking a troll. I would rather still write and read posts that have substance and might help people to understand the HK and China issue better while confronting trolling. I'm not just writing to him alone.
I find your posts insightful and helpful.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #426
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Hotpot TV? Lol

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #427
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds way to close to "honeypot" so no, I'm not clicking on that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #428
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That sounds way to close to "honeypot" so no, I'm not clicking on that.
He's a guy so it's "honey dick".
Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #429
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freedom House has an in depth article on how the CCP under Xi has been ramping up it's international media influence by conducting disinformation campaigns through official media channels, purchases of foreign media assets, infiltration of other countries media infrastructure, and strong arm tactics of media controlled by the Chinese diaspora. Definitely worth a read through for those interested.

Some highlights
Quote:
The past three years have been marked by an acceleration of this process and the emergence of more new tactics. It is notable that during the same period, Xi further consolidated his power at the 19th Communist Party Congress in October 2017 and won approval for constitutional amendments that removed presidential term limits in March 2018. The following changes in Beijing’s overseas media activities since early 2017 deserve special scrutiny:
  • Russian-style social media disinformation campaigns and efforts to manipulate search results on global online platforms have been attributed to China-based perpetrators.
  • Tactics that were once used primarily to co-opt Chinese diaspora media and suppress critical coverage in overseas Chinese-language publications are now being applied—with some effect—to local mainstream media in various countries.
  • Beijing is gaining influence over crucial parts of some countries’ information infrastructure, as Chinese technology firms with close ties to the CCP build or acquire content-dissemination platforms used by tens of millions of foreign news consumers.
  • There is evidence that Chinese-owned social media platforms and digital television providers in multiple regions have engaged in politicized content manipulation to favor pro-Beijing narratives.
  • Chinese officials are making a more explicit effort to present China as a model for other countries, and they are taking concrete steps to encourage emulation through trainings for foreign personnel and technology transfers to foreign state-owned media outlets.

The goals of the CCP’s global media influence

The CCP’s global media influence campaigns target both overseas Chinese and non-Chinese audiences. They have traditionally been designed to accomplish three primary aims, which are evident from official statements, analysis of state media content, and particular incidents involving CCP critics:
  • to promote a positive view of China and of the CCP’s authoritarian regime;
  • to encourage foreign investment in China and openness to Chinese investment and strategic engagement abroad; and
  • to marginalize, demonize, or entirely suppress anti-CCP voices, incisive political commentary, and exposés that present the Chinese government and its leaders in a negative light.
  • For the overseas Chinese audience, programming and news coverage indicate the additional goal of promoting nationalistic sentiment and Taiwan’s reunification with the mainland.

How the CCP promotes its favored content and narratives abroad

The CCP employs a variety of methods to reach global audiences with approved content. These include building up the overseas capacity and presence of official state media, insinuating official views into foreign mainstream media, cultivating foreign outlets that can produce their own favorable content, acquiring or establishing new outlets, and conducting disinformation campaigns on global social media platforms.
  • Expanding the global capacity and presence of official state media
  • Insinuating official views into foreign mainstream media
  • Cultivating foreign media that can produce their own favorable content
  • Purchasing foreign media outlets and establishing new networks
  • Conducting disinformation campaigns on global social media platforms

How the CCP suppresses critical news coverage abroad

Since coming to power in 1949, the CCP has constructed a multilayered system for censoring unwanted news and stifling dissent within China. Over the past three decades, aspects of this domestic apparatus have been adapted to impose some censorship on media outlets based outside the country. As with its propaganda efforts, the regime’s transnational censorship operation uses a combination of overt and covert methods.

Ten years ago, the CCP’s censorship of external media appeared to focus mainly on international outlets operating within China and Chinese-language outlets abroad, including those in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Efforts to influence the mainstream media in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia, and elsewhere was generally limited to propaganda—the promotion of Chinese state media content and narratives—rather than the suppression of critical local coverage.

But this appears be changing, particularly as Chinese entities increase their investments in other countries and grow more sensitive to local debates about China’s role. Chinese officials have begun to use economic leverage to silence negative reporting or commentary in local- language media with greater frequency.

The CCP’s efforts in this regard can be grouped into four main categories:
  • Direct action by Chinese government representatives
  • Economic “carrots” and “sticks” to encourage self-censorship by media owners
  • Indirect pressure applied via proxies
  • Cyberattacks, physical assaults, and online verbal abuse

Controlling content delivery systems outside China
Over the past decade, Chinese companies have become increasingly active in building information infrastructure and content delivery systems abroad. Although privately owned, Chinese technology giants like Huawei and Tencent retain close ties with the Chinese government and security services, routinely providing censorship and surveillance assistance to the party-state within China.[136] The international expansion of such companies has received the explicit blessing of the CCP. For example, in a 2017 essay in the authoritative party journal Qiushi on China’s strategy for becoming a “cyber superpower,” the authors cited the objective of enhancing “the global influence of internet companies like Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, [and] Huawei.”[137]

As these and other Chinese companies gain more influence and control over the avenues of content transmission and dissemination, they open the door to a whole new level of influence. CCP-friendly gatekeepers are now positioned to manage information flows in other countries. Analyst Peter Mattis has argued that the CCP’s approach over the past decade has been at least as much about controlling the medium as about controlling the message: “This way they can essentially have a monopoly on the information environment.… That makes it easier for their narratives to be received and accepted.”[138]

There is already evidence of Chinese companies using their control over dissemination channels to create advantages for Chinese state media or to suppress information deemed undesirable by Beijing. But even where this potential has not yet been activated, the foundations are being laid to facilitate future manipulation.

Chinese firms are pursuing the CCP’s goals on this front in three crucial ways: by leading transitions from analog to digital television broadcasting, by expanding the reach of Chinese social media platforms, and by seizing international market share for Chinese mobile devices.
  • Becoming a leading force in digital television around the world
  • Expanding global adoption of Chinese social media platforms
  • Gaining worldwide market share for Chinese mobile devices
  • Cyberattacks, physical assaults, and online verbal abuse
https://freedomhouse.org/report/spec...fluence-abroad
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #430
AnonymousStranger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really? You are going to unironically source “Freedom”house? An organization that is 86% funded by the American government through the CIA created National Endowment for “Democracy”?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_House

Seriously? Do you not see the ultimate irony of posting an article about Chinese propaganda from a source that is directly from the mouthpiece of the very heart of American propaganda meant to further America’s unilateral geopolitical interests?

It’s like you CIA shills aren’t even bothering to try any more.

https://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2...un-by.html?m=1

Also

https://www.globalresearch.ca/cias-h...groups/5423717

Last edited by AnonymousStranger; 01-16-2020 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #431
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
Really? You are going to unironically source “Freedom”house? An organization that is 86% funded by the American government through the CIA created National Endowment for “Democracy”?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_House

Seriously? Do you not see the ultimate irony of posting an article about Chinese propaganda from a source that is directly from the mouthpiece of the very heart of American propaganda meant to further America’s unilateral geopolitical interests?

It’s like you CIA shills aren’t even bothering to try any more.

https://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2...un-by.html?m=1

Also

https://www.globalresearch.ca/cias-h...groups/5423717
I didn't fact check your assertions, but the fact that you even considered using wikipedia as a source made me laugh...
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #432
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I didn't fact check your assertions, but the fact that you even considered using wikipedia as a source made me laugh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
No one likes rats, but they provide a valuable service in the lab.
Lets analyze the methodology here and see what's present in that post.
  • Immediately dismissing any quoted or posted material or arguments without examination
  • Post of disinformation from known conspiracy theory sources like Global Research and hot pot TV mixed in with semi-reliable wikipedia to lend "legitimacy"
  • Abusive language immediately present in post

These are prime examples of the "strategic distraction without engagement" employed by them and is well researched and explained in the following Harvard paper
https://gking.harvard.edu/50c
Shorter summary by the Atlantic
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...action/514589/

How I picture his posts now

Last edited by FlameOn; 01-22-2020 at 10:57 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #433
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

China has jailed a University of Minnesota student for 6 months for tweets the student sent while they were in America.

Quote:
According to an official court document dated Nov. 5, 2019, Chinese police detained 20-year-old Luo Daiqing in July 2019 in Wuhan, his hometown, where the liberal arts major had returned after the end of the spring semester.

The court document says that "in September and October 2018, while he was studying at the University of Minnesota," Luo "used his Twitter account to post more than 40 comments denigrating a national leader's image and indecent pictures," which "created a negative social impact."

After months of detention, Luo was sentenced in November 2019 to six months in prison for "provocation." (According to the court judgment, the time he spent in detention will count towards those six months).
Source
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #434
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That's pretty lenient. I thought he would just go missing.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #435
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
What the hell is wrong with citing Wikipedia? It's one of the greatest tools out their for democratising access to information, and they do a commendable job with a task that is more challenging by the day.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 PM   #436
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
What the hell is wrong with citing Wikipedia? It's one of the greatest tools out their for democratising access to information, and they do a commendable job with a task that is more challenging by the day.
It’s a thing with some people for some reason. When I wiki things I actually have knowledge about, it has always seemed fairly accurate.
8 Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #437
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whenever I see a youtube video with someone reviewing their own wiki pages, it tends to be pretty hit or miss. Wiki is a great tool for being introduced to a topic and finding sources, but it's not a great source itself.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #438
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wikipedia is a great information portal, clearly, but if you're using it in arguments you should be reading the reference material for the article and determining its worth first.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #439
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

More news today continuing on the trend started last June. Promises out of the congress in Beijing to impose new laws without going through the HK government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52759578

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #440
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1263486876800827394
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote