Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #4561
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I doubt they or their supporters would see it that way.

The BC NDP knew their law wouldn't stand up, they passed it anyways and pushed it as far as they could through the courts to vexate the project and put on a show for their supporters. And the subset of supporters that show was for think the apocalypse will come if Alberta bitumen reaches tidewater, so to them anything and everything should be tried to prevent that, and it's the law that is wrong now.
Speaking from the BC side, I really can't say for sure how the electorate will take it. Probably minimal. I do think the integrity of the Attorney General's office has been somewhat compromised but hey, that isn't new in this day and age.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #4562
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The deliberation time says it all, BC had no chance on this one. They were basically challenging one of the core tenets of the constitution with disengenuous arguments about problems with Bitumen specifically, with the overhanging fact that the government who initiated the suit is on record as willing to do anything possible to stop the project. It's good that it was dismissed, better than the other way, but this had no chance and the most important thing is pipe in the ground with oil flowing to the coast which we're still two years away from. It's not even the biggest challenge remaining, the continuing suits about FN consultations before the FCA are much more of a wildcard given how undefined the consulation processes are.

We're still a long way from being to claim victory and finally get fair value for our resources. The WTI-WCS spread is out to $25 dollars now, $10 more than when curtailment was announced and the highest since it disastrously blew out in 2018. Mexico and other resource-competent countries get to sell their comparable heavy crude for $52 while ours sells for $35, and we're going to have to take that punishment until TMX is finished, which is minimum two years away IF all these suits continue to get quashed, which they could not. One hurdle is cleared but many still remain, and tripping on just one of them brings us back to square one and extends the timeline of Canadians getting ####ed over on value for our finite non-renewable resources.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #4563
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1218934884741394434

What comes next

Quote:
Lionel Hutz: Don't worry, Homer. I have a fool proof strategy to get you out of here: surprise witnesses, each more surprising than the last. I tell you, the judge won't know what hit him!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #4564
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The government canceling the rail deal is hurting $18-$20 cost for rail could have helped
Produce more barrels under curtailment.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #4565
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Bust a move?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #4566
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Bust a move?
Elizabeth May vs Jason Kenney dance off.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #4567
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Elizabeth May vs Jason Kenney dance off.
An unnecessary, non-consensual and wholly undesired expenditure of energy to just hasten the already unfathomable warming of our planet.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #4568
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnesota Public Utilities gave Enbridge their certificate of public necessity to replace line 3. I think that is the last thing they need to go ahead with that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/minne...212208135.html
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #4569
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Minnesota Public Utilities gave Enbridge their certificate of public necessity to replace line 3. I think that is the last thing they need to go ahead with that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/minne...212208135.html
Good news for sure. Hopefully Enbridge could get that done this year, they only need to do the stretch in Minnesota as an updated pipeline is already in service in Canada and Wisconsin. It was only this time last year that Enbridge was saying this would be done by Q4 2019, so besides being yet another example of the ridiculous delays facing any project relating to Canada, it’s hopefully some data that this could be done this year.

This was a good step but tomorrow is the big one, the FCA ruling on TMX. Who knows what direction that could go, hopefully three random judges don’t condemn an entire region to be economically hamstrung on the disingenuous law suits of bad faith obstructionists. But we’ll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #4570
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

FCA dismissed the challenge, and the pipeline is a go!

(The Liberals of course bought it to kill it, and it will never happen though...)

Heres the link to the decision: https://decisions.fca-caf.gc.ca/fca-...60815/index.do

In particular, section 86 stresses that consultation does not equate to a veto. This was the last legal challenge and a major hurdle cleared.

Last edited by Slava; 02-04-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: ETA: The actual decision
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #4571
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Somebody call Subway and get them to double their meat order!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #4572
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
FCA dismissed the challenge, and the pipeline is a go!

(The Liberals of course bought it to kill it, and it will never happen though...)

Heres the link to the decision: https://decisions.fca-caf.gc.ca/fca-...60815/index.do

In particular, section 86 stresses that consultation does not equate to a veto. This was the last legal challenge and a major hurdle cleared.
It's technically not the last, the obstructionists have 60 days to appeal to the Supreme Court, which they will. They've gone this far and have plenty of money from their American environmentalist friends to further their obstruction efforts so that will happen. So we can sweat out that decision sometime later, as well as any other suits these groups can throw against a wall in the two years it will take to get this thing built.

But yeah, it's a good step and positive development. Credit to the Trudeau Government for satisfying the consultation requirements. Hopefully they keep fighting the fight against further suits and civil disobedience because this decision and all the money spent so far mean nothing unless there's pipe in the ground flowing oil to the coast ASAP.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #4573
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It's technically not the last, the obstructionists have 60 days to appeal to the Supreme Court, which they will. They've gone this far and have plenty of money from their American environmentalist friends to further their obstruction efforts so that will happen. So we can sweat out that decision sometime later, as well as any other suits these groups can throw against a wall in the two years it will take to get this thing built.

But yeah, it's a good step and positive development. Credit to the Trudeau Government for satisfying the consultation requirements. Hopefully they keep fighting the fight against further suits and civil disobedience because this decision and all the money spent so far mean nothing unless there's pipe in the ground flowing oil to the coast ASAP.
Yeah they could appeal of course, but it's still a big deal. I do like that there is some fairly strong language there and while I think that this should have been a foregone conclusion, it still is meaningful.

As far as the civil disobedience goes, there's not much that can be done to halt that. These people are effectively radicals, so they're going to be problematic regardless of whether the courts and every legal body is aligned to allow construction.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #4574
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah they could appeal of course, but it's still a big deal. I do like that there is some fairly strong language there and while I think that this should have been a foregone conclusion, it still is meaningful.

As far as the civil disobedience goes, there's not much that can be done to halt that. These people are effectively radicals, so they're going to be problematic regardless of whether the courts and every legal body is aligned to allow construction.
Oh for sure, it's a great development and this was definitely the biggest challenge to the pipeline that we know of. It's just that this is one battle and not the war, the reality on the ground is the differential is still $20 and we're two years away, best case, from not getting ass ####ed any more. I have no problem giving Trudeau's government props for getting the pipeline through this hoop, I hope they can continue to guide it through the hoops upcoming.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #4575
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vexatious litigants on the hook for court costs.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 11:37 AM   #4576
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll believe it once it's constructed and has been piping oil for 15 years.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #4577
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This is important

https://twitter.com/user/status/1224755674199908352

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #4578
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not that important as it's been decided on time and time again, including in the last FCA decision. They've always emphasized there was no veto, just meaningful two-way consultation required.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #4579
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Had a pretty good giggle when I read at para. 84 that this is the end of the decision here as we've met the requirements under Vavilov but we're gonna spend 150+ paragraphs now addressing things we're not required to in order to dispel any ideas that we didn't listen.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #4580
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh good, they are appealing to the Supreme Court...."This is not over".
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote