Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #1261
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
When in serious roles he's done really well.

He got really good critical responses in both Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me too.

I think he just chooses not to do the more serious roles because his comedies still seem to make money no matter how bad they are.
I liked him in "Funny People", actually, although I think he was mostly playing himself.

Sandler was quoted recently to say that if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination for "Uncut Gems", he'd make his next movie to be the absolute worst movie of all times.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 PM   #1262
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Midsommar is out on prime now
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #1263
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post

Sandler was quoted recently to say that if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination for "Uncut Gems", he'd make his next movie to be the absolute worst movie of all times.
So he'd go back to making regular Sandler movies?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #1264
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
The critics love it, but a lot of audience reviews suggest that has already occurred with Uncut Gems itself. The polarizing reviews have me much more interested than universal praise.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #1265
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uncut Gems really gave me anxiety watching the lead character go around and hustle shady people. It keeps you at the edge of your seat wondering how it all ends. Very well done in that regard. I honestly can't remember a movie that gave me that uneasy feeling. I can't believe people would rate it badly. I could see so-so, but it was very good.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #1266
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well 1917 was fantastic. Captivating from beginning to end. There were moments of heroism, heartbreak and disbelief. The scene when he is running from German soldiers at night in that bomb-riddled town was incredible. The lighting with the moving shadows created such an eery awful feel; it made it seem like hell.

Likely an unpopular opinion but I am so happy Sam Mendes is not wasting his time with James Bond movies and is doing something worth watching again. I loved American Beauty, Revolutionary Road, Road to Perdition and Away We Go and then he got roped into these stupid Bond movies.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 01-15-2020 at 07:26 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #1267
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two recent ones for me.

Uncut Gems - I don't think that I loved this one as much as some people, but Sandler did a fantastic job and the pacing was well done. The third act was as intense as it gets with movies. I always want to see Sandler do more dramatic roles as I've liked him in most that he's done. 7/10

1917 - Saw this last night and I don't think that my anxiety went down until now. I agree with FFDU with the shadows in the town. But the score was perfectly done with that movie. Every bit about it was amazing. I have no doubt that it will be my favourite movie of the year and I can't wait to watch it again to see what I missed or how my anxiety feels the second time around. 9.5/10
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #1268
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I listened to the Fthismovie podcast in which all three had Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as their favorite movie of the year. I don't have a problem with that, great movie and would be in my top five. I just found it strange how 1917 wasn't even mentioned or considered in anyone's top ten. Are war movies just simply a genre that's not for everyone? I think it's best picture worthy, but not everyone may agree... Seems like it's Hollywood's to lose by most accounts.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #1269
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I listened to the Fthismovie podcast in which all three had Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as their favorite movie of the year. I don't have a problem with that, great movie and would be in my top five. I just found it strange how 1917 wasn't even mentioned or considered in anyone's top ten. Are war movies just simply a genre that's not for everyone? I think it's best picture worthy, but not everyone may agree... Seems like it's Hollywood's to lose by most accounts.
A 12/25 release date in the US doesn’t help. Everyone’s best of lists are done long before that.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #1270
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's not really a 2019 movie?
Release Date:

10 January 2020 (USA)

It had an opening in Dec 29th, I don't know how they categorize it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #1271
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Just took the family to see Jumanji - Next Level.

I didn't think they could outdo the first, yet I found myself enjoying this one alot more than the first (Rock one). My 5 year old laughed so hard and much from start to end, that he lost his voice.

Highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The asian girl doing Danny Devito killed me, I was skeptical going in but really enjoyed this one.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #1272
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed Bad Boys: For Life. Nothing earth shattering or anything, but way better than I expected. The story was actually decent, and I bought the twist. Well made, and all the characters are likable. Interesting to note Michael Bay had no involvement in the movie whatsoever, not even a producers credit. Might be the best of the series... although I still enjoy the first one.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #1273
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Bad Boys For Life has a twist?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #1274
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Bad Boys For Life has a twist?
Sure does! I bet you don't see it coming either.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #1275
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

1917 is absurdly good. Deakins should get another Oscar for that one.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 02:44 AM   #1276
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
1917 is absurdly good. Deakins should get another Oscar for that one.
-1000 1917
+1000 Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
+1200 The Irishman
+1400 Joker
+2000 The Lighthouse
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #1277
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 1917 last night and enjoyed it. It is not in my top 5 war movies though, but well done regardless. Some real wtf moments and great cinematography.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #1278
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Terminator Dark Fate wasn't... that bad? Kind of fell apart in the last third, too much CGI action nonsense, but up until then it was solid. I'm a bit of a fanboy so there's that but Mackenzie Davis was great and thought the designs of both her character and then new Terminator were pleasing.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #1279
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Terminator Dark Fate wasn't... that bad? Kind of fell apart in the last third, too much CGI action nonsense, but up until then it was solid. I'm a bit of a fanboy so there's that but Mackenzie Davis was great and thought the designs of both her character and then new Terminator were pleasing.
I kinda liked it as well. It's definitely the best one they've done since T2, although that's not exactly a high bar to clear since most of the other films have been garbage.

I was also happy with the way it basically erased the other sequels, making T1, T2, and Dark Fate feel like a proper trilogy. Mackenzie Davis was good, but I thought Linda Hamilton stole the show.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:14 AM   #1280
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

1917 was so so so good.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post: