Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2018, 12:28 AM   #41
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Kypreos is kind of a prime example why they are taking head injuries more seriously.

He was complaining tonight in the first about Cole's and Keiths ejections " they are just Hockey plays" then Kelly responded that its just a different landscape now and head injuries are taken more seriously.

I see Kypreos talk on t.v and I can see clear signs that he has taken 1 to many smacks to the head. I'm not saying this only because I disagree and whant to be over the top . I do see signs that he has done some damage to his brain due to his role on the ice.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:50 AM   #42
joejoe3
Powerplay Quarterback
 
joejoe3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Kypreos is kind of a prime example why they are taking head injuries more seriously.

He was complaining tonight in the first about Cole's and Keiths ejections " they are just Hockey plays" then Kelly responded that its just a different landscape now and head injuries are taken more seriously.

I see Kypreos talk on t.v and I can see clear signs that he has taken 1 to many smacks to the head. I'm not saying this only because I disagree and whant to be over the top . I do see signs that he has done some damage to his brain due to his role on the ice.
Not sure if serious... or poking fun... or both?
__________________
GO FLAMES GO!
joejoe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:04 AM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I've always figured Kypreos was the voice of the dead puck era of fans. Where everything was about putting on the hurt. I've never thought of it much more than that. He's come a long way in adjusting to modern hockey. So I don't expect him to make a sound opinion on things like the Dube hit or even the Cole hit. Let's be honest, that Cole hit was normal not any more than 5 years ago.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:13 AM   #44
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Not sure if serious... or poking fun... or both?
A bit of both.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #45
SeanCharles
Powerplay Quarterback
 
SeanCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Exp:
Default

Bennett and Neal are the least of my worries outside of the big boys..

It's guys like Ryan, Jankowski and Czarnik I feel we need more from...

Bennett and Neal are easily top 7/8 in icetime among forwards...

Maybe that is considered low but should they really be ahead of Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm or Tkachuk? The answer is no because the above are all young core players that are key contributors to our success..

When you toss a top defensive center like Backlund into the mix it shouldn't be too shocking that Bennett and Neal are 6-8 in icetime among forwards.

Last edited by SeanCharles; 11-04-2018 at 05:43 AM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #46
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
The best part of this season so far is that the flames are a top team in the league and:

1) Goaltending can be a lot better
2) Bennett could break out in a big way
3) Neal is still settling in
4) Tkachuk could give us a 1b line if he finds the right linemates

5) Jankowski has had a disappointing start
6) Goals from defense are almost non-existent

As for Tkachuks linemates, since the 3M line as a whole has once again shown they can shut down any line they're up against, I wouldn't worry about them.

Besides, Backlund is on pace for 50+ which is completely adequate, and since Peters isn't afraid to mix the lines when needed, I wouldn't be too worried about Froliks lack of offense. (Although of course Frolik IS on pace for 40+ goals )
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #47
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Captaincanada80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Not only did Peters address why he didn’t play in the post game, he was the first guy he credited for the comeback and firing up the team to allowing them to come back. What a bonehead comment by a hack.
__________________
Originally Posted by oilboy2
This deal is DONE, im not sure what the worry is. Heatly is an Oiler, just some paperwork to get done. This isnt another Nylander incident
Captaincanada80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captaincanada80 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #48
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

I think Kypreos is more connected that 90% of the posts in here give him credit for.
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #49
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I think Kypreos is more connected that 90% of the posts in here give him credit for.
You are just making up numbers here, and I continue to see no good evidence to suggest Kypreos is meaningfully connected to players and team management in today's NHL. Seven or eight years ago I think still had ins with former teammates and coaches, but with a lot of turnover I question how many of those continue to be relevant. He is a lot like Rhett Warrener—a player who became a broadcaster, but who will always be more player than broadcaster. Over time, there is less and less reason for any teams to talk to Kypreos, and I think we see more evidence of this as time passes.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Whether or not Kypreos is 'connected' is irrelevant IMO, what matters to me are the quality of his takes. And that take on Bennett last night was horrific.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #51
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You are just making up numbers here, and I continue to see no good evidence to suggest Kypreos is meaningfully connected to players and team management in today's NHL. Seven or eight years ago I think still had ins with former teammates and coaches, but with a lot of turnover I question how many of those continue to be relevant. He is a lot like Rhett Warrener—a player who became a broadcaster, but who will always be more player than broadcaster. Over time, there is less and less reason for any teams to talk to Kypreos, and I think we see more evidence of this as time passes.
I don;t think his connections come from team brass. I think it comes from the NHLPA and Agent connections.

I consider Friedman to be the team brass connection on that panel.
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #52
LWcrowfoot
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I think Kypreos is more connected that 90% of the posts in here give him credit for.
No one doubts his connections, it's his ability to process and interpret information we are worried about. Looking at the game sheet (or watching highlights) would have provided a reason behind 93's ice time.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #53
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
No one doubts his connections, it's his ability to process and interpret information we are worried about. Looking at the game sheet (or watching highlights) would have provided a reason behind 93's ice time.
Read post #:
4 (and the 19 people who thanked it)
9
13
23
30

Debate the quality of his takes (that is a separate issue). However he is one of three pundits on the highest profile panels in hockey. I think that the NHLPA and agents are constantly reaching out to him (and him to them) with information and positions to advance.
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #54
Jiri Hrdina
Moderator
 
Jiri Hrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Exp:
Default

Not a good take last night but overall I enjoy Kypreos ever since he joined hnic
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

I think we’re on the brink of seeing an “explosion” from Bennett and Neal. Once Ryan gets dumped from PP2, and (hopefully) Frolik gets added - things are going to start popping.

Frolik
Bennett-Neal
Backlund - Andersson

That should be PP2.

Also, yeah - count me in on those thinking this is a bad take. Neal signed to give the team depth. Bennett is back on track.

Things are good.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #56
flamesfever
First Line Centre
 
flamesfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

I've always thought of Frolik as a very skilled and reliable winger, and would hope he was way down the list of someone they would consider trading.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #57
Freeway
Franchise Player
 
Freeway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Peters addressed this specifically after the game. He narrowed the bench while Bennett was still in the box and the team started gaining momentum. By the time Bennett was out of the box and available to go on the ice, he had been sitting for 45 minutes. It would be dumb to play a cold player seeing how badly the Flames were dominating at that point.

Peters interpreted this correctly and the Flames won. Had nothing to do with Bennett's play.

Peters actually went out of his way to mention this while answering a question about Jankowski's status.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #58
Mattman
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Mattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: You can find me in the 'dome, chilling with... #### he's gone
Exp:
Default

Alright let's say for a minute what Kypreos is saying has a hint of truth to it. That the Flames are trying to find more ice time for all these good players.

I want to go back to loosely quote what Bill Peters said last night in regards to Neal and Frolik moving up and down the lineup.
"Pro's like Fro are good at that. They know their role on the team and they contribute where ever they can"

This is the mindset Peters has instilled in these guys, along with some hard nosed veterans who have been around the block to know they are on a team and not playing individually for 'The most ice time' or 'Playing on a higher line'.

So far this season I have heard Monahan, Tkachuk, Neal, Gio, Frolik, Peters, Valimaki, Bennett, Gaudreau, Backs all say some sort of version of "Hungry to win" "Do what it takes to win" "We want to win". When your core group of players seemingly has it driven into them that they will do what ever it takes to win, I believe it.

Block a shot, drop the gloves for a teammate, make that hit, be faster, play on this line when needed, etc..

I think this team is really acting like a team right now, they believe in each other and they are all playing their part in this teams success even if that means sitting on the bench to have the right guys out there to win the game.
__________________
Mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Imagine what you can get for a Frolik whos on pace for 41 goals and 0 assists! And Im guessing just a bit over half of those goals will be EN'ers.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #60
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Not a good take last night but overall I enjoy Kypreos ever since he joined hnic
I mean, he's an upgrade on Francis, but that hardly says much given their roles on HNIC are to be the village idiot that makes everyone else's takes look better. See also: Mike Milbury on NBC.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016