Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #41
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
With Stone and Giordano off, and Hamonic hurt they really don't have many options though.
They had three options, and chose the least desirable. It was an error, that's all I'm saying.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #42
CaptainYooh
First Line Centre
 
CaptainYooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I openly and strongly didn't like hiring of Peters. Specifically, because Treliving publicly acknowledged not even considering anyone else, especially, Darryl, who also publicly, acknowledged being interested in coming back to Calgary. Regardless, this is all history now and Peters is in charge.

With that in mind, it is just too early to make a reasonable judgement of his coaching style. When Smith lets in two goals on the first four shots, no coach can save you. What we know: Peters likes speed a lot, he likes dump a chase a lot, he likes puck possession a lot (passes, passes, passes...). Let's see if this strategy works with this team. We are going to see a much more entertaining hockey than Gulutzan's, that's for sure. But from what I have seen so far, this speedy hockey produces bad defensive holes. I mean how many two-on-ones can we afford in one game?

If we see all this, Peters sees it too. Let's give him a chance to fix the holes and adjust the game.
__________________
"An idea is always a generalization, and generalization is a property of thinking. To generalize means to think." Georg Hegel, Philosopher

“To generalize is to be an idiot.” William Blake, Writer
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #43
Kovaz
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I openly and strongly didn't like hiring of Peters. Specifically, because Treliving publicly acknowledged not even considering anyone else, especially, Darryl, who also publicly, acknowledged being interested in coming back to Calgary. Regardless, this is all history now and Peters is in charge.

With that in mind, it is just too early to make a reasonable judgement of his coaching style. When Smith lets in two goals on the first four shots, no coach can save you. What we know: Peters likes speed a lot, he likes dump a chase a lot, he likes puck possession a lot (passes, passes, passes...). Let's see if this strategy works with this team. We are going to see a much more entertaining hockey than Gulutzan's, that's for sure. But from what I have seen so far, this speedy hockey produces bad defensive holes. I mean how many two-on-ones can we afford in one game?

If we see all this, Peters sees it too. Let's give him a chance to fix the holes and adjust the game.
The way I see it, this is a product of not having the system down yet. Peters like to have the D pinch up aggressively to take away space, but you need to have forwards backchecking to cover that. It's really effective if the forwards are there, but it leaves holes if the forwards don't read the play right.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #44
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre
 
PugnaciousIntern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Coaching systems are important, but the biggest issue with last year's team was resilience and drive. When a coach like Peters is willing to shuffle the lineup, pull out all the stops (including even calling a time-out!) I think the players feel like they are being given an opportunity to win. I don't know what happens behind closed doors, but so far the team seems to have a never-give-up attitude. Perhaps that's just player personnel, and I will admit that there was a significant roster turnover this year. But the leadership stayed mostly the same. I am not sure what systems work I can credit / blame Peters for quite yet, but something certainly has changed in their attitude when playing in close games or from behind early on. I wouldn't be surprised if that's coming top-down from the coach.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #45
SeanCharles
Powerplay Quarterback
 
SeanCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
He is currently twice as good as Bennett though
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #46
heep223
Could Care Less
 
heep223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Exp:
Default

I like that Peters switched up the PP breakout/break-in strategy when it was pretty clear it wasn’t working.

I love the pressure in the neutral zone.

I think he has a good mix of dump and chase, and carrying it in.

That’s all I really have so far. Definitely room for improvement but the team has looked quite good imo.
heep223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:35 PM   #47
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!
 
Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

Last night's game reminded me of Hartley's find a way flames that never gave up and always believed they could get back in a game. Hopefully we can have that again this year along with a bit more talent on the roster
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #48
Coach
Franchise Player
 
Coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I've been trying to figure out who it is he reminds me of since the day he was hired. I was never quite able to put my finger on it, but the thumbnail for this video finally caused it to click.

Bill Peters is Gordon Ramsay in a wig.
The gif possibilities are endless.













__________________


The Slack Line Podcast. (QOTD, Flames Fried-days, Weekly Full-length episodes with J-Wow and The Boss and special guests.)

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...298772964?mt=2
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3...Js51vQ5c5EfZBw
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #49
DeluxeMoustache
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Somebody brought up time outs.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #50
shadowlord
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Vancouver, BC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
For all the hate the drop pass gets, both of the 3rd period PP goals came after a drop pass to Gaudreau, and we've also seen some success gaining the zone with other breakouts. Predictability was our downfall last year so this is a really good sign.
The problem isn't so much with the drop-pass, it's the fact that the Flames used it over and over and over and it was always Johnny who carried it in. Usually multiple times within the same PP unit.

Like you said, it became way too predictable in Game 1. Going back to last seasons, every team would just stack the blueline at Johnny's entry point and cut off his passing options.

Game 2 has a much more varied PP zone entry scheme, and so that's why the drop pass was working better, because we kept the opposition PK guessing.

Now that's we've eliminated drop-pass-every-time, the next thing we need to work on is for PP unit 1 to have other entry options aside from Johnny.

A deadly PP should have multiple strategies. We've addressed the scoring part with Lindholm and Monahan as shooting options.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #51
Wingman17
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I don't like Ryan getting over double the amount of icetime that Jankowski or Bennett gets..

I'd like to see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Czarnik
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Dube-Ryan-Frolik

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone
I’d like to see something like:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal
Bennett-Backlund-Czarnik
Dube-Ryan-Frolik

Last edited by Wingman17; 10-07-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Wingman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wingman17 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #52
SeanCharles
Powerplay Quarterback
 
SeanCharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Exp:
Default

Well I know it's early but I've been the least impressed with Frolik and Ryan out of the forwards so far.

I like Ryan as a servicable face-off man and Frolik as a PK mainstay but prefer them being just that - utility players. They both should be on the 4th line IMO.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #53
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger
 
bucksmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman17 View Post
I’d like to see something like:
Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Dube-Ryan-Czarnik
Agreed. I love backlund but it's getting tiresome watching plays die on his stick with minimal pressure. Janks has a little more offensive tenacity and size to protect the puck and create chances. I believe we have a clear 1st line, a potential great and line and 2 checking 3/4 lines that may pot the odd goal. I'm not on board with us having three 2nd like some have suggested. I hope the talent gets concentrated on the 2nd line with Neal, tkachuk and janko
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #54
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre
 
PugnaciousIntern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Somebody brought up time outs.
FWIW, if you're referring to me, it was tongue-in-cheek. The timeout thing never bothered me. But the lack of adjustments and 'playing the situation' did.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #55
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksmasher View Post
Agreed. I love backlund but it's getting tiresome watching plays die on his stick with minimal pressure. Janks has a little more offensive tenacity and size to protect the puck and create chances. I believe we have a clear 1st line, a potential great and line and 2 checking 3/4 lines that may pot the odd goal. I'm not on board with us having three 2nd like some have suggested. I hope the talent gets concentrated on the 2nd line with Neal, tkachuk and janko
Not sure I'm seeing any of that.

Backlund's may not be finishing but I would hardly say plays are dying on his stick, he was huge in the last half of that game last night.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #56
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player
 
ForeverFlameFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Exp:
Default

Lol @ Backlund as 3rd line C.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #57
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger
 
bucksmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not sure I'm seeing any of that.

Backlund's may not be finishing but I would hardly say plays are dying on his stick, he was huge in the last half of that game last night.
Last night's game he skated it into the o zone and made weak wiffle shots at the net or no look passed it to the nearest canuck. I don't dispute he played a role in the win but it was mainly defense.
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #58
Bingo
Owner
 
Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksmasher View Post
Last night's game he skated it into the o zone and made weak wiffle shots at the net or no look passed it to the nearest canuck. I don't dispute he played a role in the win but it was mainly defense.
You should look again.

Specifically the two times he shredded Vancouver defenseman to create odd man chances for himself and his wingers (one was against Tanev)

The line over passed the puck or had some back luck with pucks hitting defenders stick shafts, but I wouldn't say the puck was dying on his stick at all.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #59
soulchoice
Powerplay Quarterback
 
soulchoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You should look again.

Specifically the two times he shredded Vancouver defenseman to create odd man chances for himself and his wingers (one was against Tanev)

The line over passed the puck or had some back luck with pucks hitting defenders stick shafts, but I wouldn't say the puck was dying on his stick at all.
Agreed, Backlund is one of the teams best players on the team for zone entries with the puck. He has an ability to carry it in without losing the puck and holding it to dish off when the others enter the offensive zone. He is not the third line centre on this team.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #60
rooster
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Janko and Bennett need more time at the expense of Ryan and Frolik. Ryan looked good early against AHL players but hasn't done well the last few games where the heat has been turned up.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016