Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #61
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Anyone ever tried Spin Classes? I've heard good things.
Did this for a couple of years. Quite enjoyed it. Was a great way to blow off steam after work too. It was another one of those exercise classes where you work harder and longer than you would on your own, due to peer pressure and the desire to finish the class.

It was actually one of the most social exercise type endeavors I've done too. After seeing the same group for 3 times a week, everyone just got to know each other.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #62
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I started with F45 in August and it's been amazing for me. I worked out at home before and did my own thing. I was incredibly skeptical and thought I'd likely hate it and quit a month in. Instead, some huge changes took place for me!

- I thought that I would absolutely hate the structured nature. They have "classes" and you show up, the have it all set for you and you run through a circuit in 45 minutes. I didn't like that aspect...but frankly it's fantastic. Some days are more cardio and some days are strength, and the workouts are excellent.

- Part of what I didn't want to do was interact with other people. I just want to get my workout done and move along with my day...or so I thought. One of my absolute favourite things is the community. Maybe it's that we're all suffering together? Maybe it's the endorphins, but I really love this aspect and for it made something I was dreading to be a pure positive!

- I NEVER worked out as hard as this on my own. I would workout and take too long to rest, or do 3/4 of my workout and decide "that's pretty solid. Most people are doing nothing, so good job just doing this much today Slava!" When I went to the first workout I thought I might die. I realised that I'd need to workout in order to do the full workout! (It's a go at your own pace sort of thing, so you can still take extra breaks or catch your breath)

Anyway, for me it's been an enormous impact. I'm totally not connected in anyway, and don't get any benefit telling people about it aside from the fact that I think people would benefit from it. In the past 6 months or so I've dropped about 25-30 lbs of fat and added a few pounds of muscle. My cardio is miles better than where it was before and most importantly, I feel great. I've seen the same changes for other people there as well, and I really just can't recommend them enough!
+1 on this posting. I just started with F45 at the start of January and I am enjoying it so far.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #63
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just had this revelation this last year.

For the first 45 years of my life I ate and drank anything and everything I wanted.

My biggest concern was trying to put on weight.

That all changed with a degenerative neck injury.

I still go to the gym, but I find regulating my eating and drinking so much harder. Although I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 2020.
Heh - this was me 5 years ago - 40 yr old UCB gave me this pep talk back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What a load of bollocks.

But hey, if life is short, you go ahead and spend it:

I would rather spend the time I have active and enjoying myself.

Enjoy your miserable existence.
All in good jest UCB, it's quite amazing how health issues and plain old life changes what one considers fitness.

Aside from trying to multitask and work in fitness alongside kids activites - my big thing has been a smart trainer for the bike and Zwift. I'm not an elite rider but if I'm watching TV or the Flame - hop on the bike and burn 500 cals/hr. Do this 5 times a week, eat better (well...less) and things trend upwards.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #64
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Slava,

How long did it take you to be able to work out and not have soreness? I'm hoping it will go away after 2 weeks. I am so muscle sore today but in the way I need to be. I feel pain in areas I forgot had muscles!

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 02-12-2020 at 08:53 AM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #65
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Slava,

How long did it take you to be able to work out and not have soreness? I'm hoping it will go away after 2 weeks. I am so muscle sore today but in the way I need to be. I feel pain in areas I forgot had muscles!
Yeah, it was for sure a week or two of pain. It goes away though and honestly the best medicine for that is increased movement. Stretch, keep mobile and your body will deal with that. The other factor is that F45 has the workouts set so that you aren't focused on the same muscles every day. It gets better!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #66
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first time I did ring rows I had t-rex arms for about 4 days.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #67
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yea, it's that good soreness where I can feel It's working, I can't wait to just be able to do the full week without soreness. I'm thinking once I get to that point I'll give it a week or 2 before upping my weights.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #68
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The body is really incredible. You will find that within 2 weeks, the soreness will have been replaced by a noticeably larger store of energy.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #69
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget to stretch lots after. Really helps reduce the amount of pain, and duration. I like to spend 30 minutes after working out watching tv and stretching.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #70
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soreness is tricky though. From what I've read, and this may change tomorrow, if you're sore for longer then a day or two or if you're sore in the wrong area of the muscle then you might be doing more damage then good. You might not be repairing and you may end up weaker, more vulnerable to injury and even wind up with less immunity. Also what matters more than the workout you did is what you do to recover. Soreness is good and leads to muscle growth, but it is not the only way to get stronger.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:47 AM   #71
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soreness from squats never goes away for me, but it's just DOMS.

Regularly foam rolling is just as important as stretching for myself.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #72
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Soreness from squats never goes away for me, but it's just DOMS.

Regularly foam rolling is just as important as stretching for myself.
Where are you sore? Sounds like a problem with form.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #73
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Where are you sore? Sounds like a problem with form.
Sounds like you're not lifting enough.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #74
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sounds like you're not lifting enough.
Typically if you are always really sore from a particular exercise, it is a problem with form, macho man.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #75
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Typically if you are always really sore from a particular exercise, it is a problem with form, macho man.
I think you are confusing muscle soreness with say joint soreness which would be an issue with form. Also as nik says below soreness =/= pain.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #76
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a difference between soreness and pain.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #77
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I may be wrong, but aren’t you relatively new to working out? You don’t need to be a macho man, which I interpret to mean heavy lifter, to get sore. Do a full range squat with a weight you can manage 10 reps with over 4 sets and you will be sore. My experience has been that the day of the workout is mostly a feeling of fatigue. The day following the leg workout is some soreness with a hint of what day 2 is going to be like. Day 2 is almost always quite sore. Then my legs recover for several days and I repeat the process. I’m envious of anyone who doesn’t have leg soreness from a good workout.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #78
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad form will hurt your joints. But it's only the eccentric contraction that causes muscle soreness. You can alter your squat to avoid the eccentric phase all together if you want. Or focus on that phase if you want. A lot of exercises can be altered so you can workout if you're already sore and don't want to make it worse.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #79
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I may be wrong, but aren’t you relatively new to working out? You don’t need to be a macho man, which I interpret to mean heavy lifter, to get sore. Do a full range squat with a weight you can manage 10 reps with over 4 sets and you will be sore. My experience has been that the day of the workout is mostly a feeling of fatigue. The day following the leg workout is some soreness with a hint of what day 2 is going to be like. Day 2 is almost always quite sore. Then my legs recover for several days and I repeat the process. I’m envious of anyone who doesn’t have leg soreness from a good workout.
I used to work out a lot and then I had some back issues and stepped away from it for a year or two. I'm just getting back into it now.

I would say being sore the next day is good, but being extremely sore after your body has grown used to the full range of movement is probably a form issue - especially if it is in the lower back or glutes.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #80
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im sore from being lazy and not working out for a very long time. I wouldn't call any of it pain or bad form just overall weakness