Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is starting to wear thin on me with some of his line decisions. Like rewarding Backlund tonight for being a giant bag of suck. Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade, I can't think of any other excuse to start Backlund on line 1.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this in the other thread and I think it still rings true.

I still think he's a good coach, and this is now the third coach that has "lost" the group after a decent first season.

That's no longer on the coach being the issue IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
You can't just exclude the best section of 40 games of a 105 game sample and say "Look he's not good enough" .

Under Hartley, Peters, & Gulutzan when the team was committed to working hard and sticking to the system they looked good.

When they played lazy and uninspired hockey because they were sad, or the coach was too mean, or too nice, or now too mean again, they have looked bad.

I think at this point moving at least one of Gaudreau, Monahan, or Backlund will probably be required to shake it up.

As a whole the Flames under Peters sit 5th in the NHL with 130 points, and a . 619 points percentage. That would be a very harsh firing IMO.

If you break up the Flames under Peters into 20 game segments

2018/2019:

Game 1-20: 11-8-1 > .575 points percentage
Game 21-40: 13-4-3 > .725 points percentage
Game 41-60: 13-4-3 > .725 points percentage
Game 61--82: 13-9-0 > .591 points percentage

2019-2020

Game 1-20: 10-7-3 > 0.575 points percentage
Game 21-23: 0-3-0 > 0.000 points percentage

Peters has not had a 20 game segment as this team's coach where he's under a .575 points percentage. That is a 94 point pace over a full season, which isn't great but is a pretty good as your worst quarter of a season in his time here.

This is on the players and maybe the GM for not doing more to make sure a change happened in the offseason - not the coaching staff.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #23
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He is starting to wear thin on me with some of his line decisions. Like rewarding Backlund tonight for being a giant bag of suck. Maybe they are showcasing him for a trade, I can't think of any other excuse to start Backlund on line 1.
Who else is he going to put there?

He literally has no forwards really playing great right now, and if this team is going to succeed he needs Backlund, Gaudreau, and Monahan to get going.

So it's just an attempt at any type of spark - the fact that it's taken him to game 105 in his time here to put Gaudreau with Backlund probably shows you that Peters also doesn't think that Backlund is an ideal first line center to play with Johnny.

But at this point it's something different so why not mix it up when you haven't scored in 130 minutes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #24
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Who else is he going to put there?
Monahan. Let them play through the slump, we know they have good chemistry.

Lindholm: Takes from the wing but is still much better than Backlund.

Ryan: Offensively this year I think he is better than Backlund.

I get he is trying to shuffle lines to get a spark but rewarding a guy who has been terrible since last years playoffs with more ice time is not the message I want to see given.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #25
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Peters can't make it out of this year as coach then the Flames are approaching Cleveland Browns level of dysfunction with constant firings and short fuses on coaches. Also as others have said, this is Monahan and Gaudreau's third coach, I'm much more willing to ship out coaches over players but after you've cycled through three with the same old song of tuning them out something else has to change.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #26
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny is the one that should be punted from the top line imo.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Johnny is the one that should be punted from the top line imo.

Who takes his spot?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #28
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Who takes his spot?
Heck at this rate throw Mange up there...it's not as if he'll turn it over more than Johnny already is...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #29
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Heck at this rate throw Mange up there...it's not as if he'll turn it over more than Johnny already is...
You're looking at this the wrong way. Peters should be trying to get Gaudreau matchups he can feast on, not just top line vs. top line.

It doesn't need to be viewed as a demotion. Sure, try Mangiapane up there for a game.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #30
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What is Bill Peters?

One thing I can’t fault Peters for is trying new combinations and blending the lines when things aren’t working.

Anyone remember Gulutzan’s stubborn refusal to change anything under any circumstance? Big fat no thank you to that.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #31
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really was about availability. Trotz was not available when they got rid of GG. IIRC the options were keep GG for another year, Peters, Bourdreu (nvm he was signed before) or grabbing one from the AHL.

These were the coaches hired that spring:

Peters, Brind'Amour (CAR), Montgomery (DAL), and Quinn (NYR). Later that summer after the cup Trotz moved to the NYI and Reirden took over the Caps.
I don't think many people thought Trotz would be available after winning the cup. Last thing you want to do is go into July not having a coach and hoping one is available.

edit: Boudreau was around the GG hiring.

Last edited by Robbob; 11-19-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #32
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He is the current head coach
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
It really was about availability. Trotz was not available when they got rid of GG. IIRC the options were keep GG for another year, Peters, Bourdreu or grabbing one from the AHL.

I don't think many people thought Trotz would be available after winning the cup. Last thing you want to do is go into July not having a coach and hoping one is available.
They were saying before the final and even right as he was carrying around that he was likely done there. It was fairly well known that they wanted the new guy in.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 PM   #34
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bill Peters and his staff are all good coaches...this lies solely on the players. Bout time for the likes of Gaudreau, Monahan, Gio and Backlund to be difference makers out there.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #35
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He is a human

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #36
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They were saying before the final and even right as he was carrying around that he was likely done there. It was fairly well known that they wanted the new guy in.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/tro...tals-1.4711246

I don't seem to recall that. In this CBC story they mention it was a surprise.

No question he was on the hot seat since they had some disappointing playoffs with him at the helm. Him winning the cup actually made an extension kick in.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/tro...tals-1.4711246

I don't seem to recall that. In this CBC story they mention it was a surprise.

No question he was on the hot seat since they had some disappointing playoffs with him at the helm. Him winning the cup actually made an extension kick in.
Yeah it was pretty widely spoken about that he was done there.

IIRC after the first round against Columbus there was lip readers saying that Trotz told Tortarella in the handshake line "I'm Done Here".

It was pretty clear that he was moving on from Washington. I do think it was very likely he was going to the NYI the entire time though, guessing him and Lou had a wink wink nudge nudge think going on.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:38 PM   #38
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood why Peters was hired in the first place. Look back at the CP posts then. Nobody did.

His track record in Carolina was terrible (see Flash's chart) and its no secret he was disliked by the players.

I am willing to give him this road trip. If we come back under .500 show him the door.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #39
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I never understood why Peters was hired in the first place. Look back at the CP posts then. Nobody did.

His track record in Carolina was terrible (see Flash's chart) and its no secret he was disliked by the players.

I am willing to give him this road trip. If we come back under .500 show him the door.
The tank must continue. The only way he should be shown the door if a clear upgrade is available. Not Babcock
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #40
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

I don't think Treliving has the "balls" to make that sort of move during a season. He would let the coach play out the season no matter how bad it became. He would drag out the process and frustrate the fans and players in order to preserve the "process."
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote