Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #41
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The time to trade Johnny was before he hit the skids.

At this stage, you need to hope he comes out of it or you are getting cents on the dollar.
Wait until the team comes out of its slump before you even consider such a move.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #42
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
He’s playing like he’s having girl problems. He’ll come out of it, people need to chill out
My theory is that the real Flames were abducted by aliens during last season’s All Star break.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #43
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days now:

Gaudreau and Monahan

For Hall and Hischer

For the Devils, they get a local boy American star who can also help Jack Hughes. Monahan is Gaudreau’s partner in crime and also gives the Devils some size up the middle replacing the smaller Hischer.

For the Flames, they have to be able to talk extension with Hall and have a reasonable sense that they can sign him. Hischer replaces Monahan at the centre position and it is a bit of a gamble for both teams. Hischer signed a big extension in the Summer that kicks in next year but he hasn’t exactly produced like a $7 million player yet. We know that in the right mood and situation, Hall can be productive even with a 50 point Hischer but for the Flames the hope is Hischer will be more than that.

Hischer isn’t an ideal number 1 centre, he’s probably a second line centre, but if he can anchor a second line with Hall, then Lindholm can centre Tkachuk on the first line and you’ve got your top pairs for the top lines.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #44
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is gonna be hilarious when the Flames snap out of their slump and Johnny goes on a multiple-game hot streak.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #45
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If the acquiring of Lucic is the reason for the team's problems this year, the Flames have bigger issues than we think. Lucic being the catalyst to the problems is simply untrue and is being said more due to spite and unhappiness with the trade.

The Flames will have a tough time winning any deal involving Gaudreau during the season. I'd prefer Treliving wait until the offseason or draft.

Lucic + the team's buyouts costs the Flames almost another 8M in cap space.

I'm not spiteful at all, it was just a dumb trade to make.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #46
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think y that you need to consider it at the very least. An underperforming Gaudreau is not going to fetch you anything in return, unless you can find someone that thinks that there team or system can turn him into a better player.

I sure hope that I am wrong, but I think you have seen peak Johnny.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #47
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

A team like Philly would see Gaudreau - even in his current "slump" - as a cash cow and would trip over themselves to get him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #48
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate that this thread exists because it's exactly what the Flames would do. Trade a player when his value is at (or near) his all time lowest. It would be an obviously stupid, reactionary trade, and the Flames are all about that.

If you trade Gaudreau, you may as well get rid of everyone over 23 and start again with a new core + Tkachuk. Personally, the biggest fault right now lies with Treliving and his stupid, stupid signings that were called out the days they were made that have forced this team to either buy players out or trade them for equally bad contracts.

I'd probably be done for a while with this team.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #49
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Trade him.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #50
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
[...]

If Gaudreau is to get back to where he was he has to do it with someone more physical than just Lindholm...Mony isnt that guy.

[...]
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #51
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see it happening if the Flames aren't in a playoff position come trade deadline. I won't like it, but I can imagine it being done.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #52
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

He put up 100 points last season. His cap hit is less then $7 million. He's been an elite player since the day he showed up in Calgary. Yes it sucks his line sucks right now. But IMO he's earned a longer leash to work through this.

Trading him right now, in the midst of a slump while the team is still (somehow) in a playoff race would be very foolish. Plenty of other junk can be traded away before he is.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #53
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
He put up 100 points last season. His cap hit is less then $7 million. He's been an elite player since the day he showed up in Calgary. Yes it sucks his line sucks right now. But IMO he's earned a longer leash to work through this.

Trading him right now, in the midst of a slump while the team is still (somehow) in a playoff race would be very foolish. Plenty of other junk can be traded away before he is.
But the other junk as you call them, won't get you much back.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #54
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I hate that this thread exists because it's exactly what the Flames would do. Trade a player when his value is at (or near) his all time lowest. It would be an obviously stupid, reactionary trade, and the Flames are all about that.

If you trade Gaudreau, you may as well get rid of everyone over 23 and start again with a new core + Tkachuk. Personally, the biggest fault right now lies with Treliving and his stupid, stupid signings that were called out the days they were made that have forced this team to either buy players out or trade them for equally bad contracts.

I'd probably be done for a while with this team.
People who want Gaudreau gone had better get ready for more Lucic, Backlund, Bennett, and Derek Ryan next season.

Can't wait for the next awesome UFA signing either, because that's when Treliving adjusts his roster.

Ugh.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Don't think it'll be as disastrous as the Phaneuf trade, but in the same ballpark, yes. A couple of middle 6 players, a non-first round pick, and a minor league nobody.
Never say never. What if you can get a Doug Gilmour for a Mike Bullard? A strong two way guy who typically has had 60-85 points, for a pure offensive 105 point guy who disappointed in the previous playoffs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
But the other junk as you call them, won't get you much back.
That is true, but I feel most people want to trade Johnny out of anger for the team's lack of success thus far. Bring up this topic 2 months ago and you'd get run off the forum.

Now our star player is in the midst of a slump, and the go-to action is trade him. Typical Canadian hockey fan response. What if the new guy he's traded for sucks worse? With Gaudreau we know what we are getting and have witnessed him reach tiers very few other Flames' players ever have, and he's done so consistently. For less then $7million.

I am against trading Gaudreau until at the very earliest during the off-season after he has demonstrated he's either completely checked out from the team, or demands a trade. And even then it would have to be a king's ransom that no GM could possibly resist. But in the midst of a losing streak where the entire team is sucking? We've all witnessed as Flames' fans what happens during panic trades. Let's not repeat that again.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 11-18-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #57
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have traded Gaudreau a couple seasons ago when they could send him to Ottawa and draft Brady. Having both Tkachuks would've been amazing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #58
ignite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
You People who want Gaudreau gone had better get ready for more Lucic, Backlund, Bennett, and Derek Ryan next season.

Can't wait for the next awesome UFA signing either, because that's when Treliving adjusts his roster.

Ugh.
ignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #59
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Nope. Lots of options before Gaudreau. Team friendly deal, almost scored 100 points last season. He’s basically our best forward. We are a team that struggles to score so I don’t think trading away our best forward is the right idea. I think our lack of centre depth is what is really holding us back.
He’s nowhere near our best forward. Tkachuk and Lindholm are far better overall players.

Gaudreau is magical but too often he plays soft, scared and careless.

I would look to trade him at some point. I think his value is through the roof but umm not convinced he can lead us anywhere in the playoffs.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #60
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1196425230761238529
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: