Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:
Default Johnny Gaudreau: Trade or Keep?

This was kicked around the forums last night after the 6-0 loss to LVK. Is it time to trade Gaudreau? Time for an old-fashioned hockey trade? Futures are great but Gaudreau would be able to bring back a quality player in return. Do I want to see John get traded? Not particularly but I think Treliving should be having the conversations for sure.

Quote:
This team is loaded with young talent still very much on the rise. In fact, at 26, Gaudreau is the second-oldest of the so-called next wave, who are already here: Matthew Tkachuk, 21; Elias Lindholm, 24; Sean Monahan, 25; Noah Hanifin, 22; Rasmus Andersson, 23; Juuso Valimaki, 21; Andrew Mangiapane, 23; Sam Bennett, 23; David Rittich, 27; Oliver Kylington, 22; Dillon Dube, 21.
In that group, you have at least three-quarters of what should be the top four on the blue line for the next several years — and those guys are good, too. It’s reasonable to think there are as many as five players in that group who could make up Calgary’s top-six forward group for a long time to come. They have their starting goaltender for potentially many years.
It feels like something of significance has to happen with this club soon to change the core (and no, recalling Dillon Dube as they did on Sunday does not count), shake up an underperforming group and also salvage this season. Perhaps the place to start is the guy who is struggling the most, yet would also command a significant return. Yes, perhaps it’s time for general manager Brad Treliving to explore trade possibilities for Gaudreau — one of his most lucrative assets — and not necessarily for futures either. Think: an old-fashioned hockey trade. Two teams changing their mix.
https://theathletic.com/1385118/2019...hnny-gaudreau/
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem with trading Gaudreau is that you need to get a #1 center back and they aren't available. So you would likely end up with someone like Zibanejad/Johnsson/Trocheck type plus some additional minor pieces.

No team will trade their #1 center of equal quality for Gaudreau (unless it's a ROR type of situation which is rare).
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, but am I ever glad I took him as my first pick in a pool
Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

who would you get who is better?

to me, trading him at this point of the season is hitting the panic button. to me it is an off-season deal
Old 11-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

The time to trade Johnny was before he hit the skids.

At this stage, you need to hope he comes out of it or you are getting cents on the dollar.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nylander, Kapanen, Barrie

Gaudreau, Brodie
Old 11-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ If you try to trade him right now, I suppose. Off season? He's still got value. Still under contract on a team friendly deal. teams in the States will be very interested in adding him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Nope. Lots of options before Gaudreau. Team friendly deal, almost scored 100 points last season. He’s basically our best forward. We are a team that struggles to score so I don’t think trading away our best forward is the right idea. I think our lack of centre depth is what is really holding us back.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 11-18-2019 at 07:34 AM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think Johnny is the guy that leads you to a Stanley Cup. Currently he is too soft and small for playoff hockey. I always hoped he could handle a tougher style of play as his game matured, but I just don't see it happening.

IMO, if Treliving could strategically extract a high price for him sometime in the next 18 months it could be a huge win. I am not going to speculate what that would be.

As much as I like Johnny, I just don't see much playoff success if he is considered the Flames best player.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 11-18-2019 at 09:58 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

[Edit: Unnecessary]

Last edited by Split98; 11-22-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised this is coming from Haynes. Sure he's had a rough go of it now, but the Flames can't take on extra salary right now and they aren't going to be able to replace Gaudreau's production with another guy making the same money.

Trade mentioned in this thread - Trochek or Zibanejad + others - the others would have be making the minimum salary so it wouldn't be much

Nylander, etc trade doesn't not work under the cap.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #12
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Surprised this is coming from Haynes. Sure he's had a rough go of it now, but the Flames can't take on extra salary right now and they aren't going to be able to replace Gaudreau's production with another guy making the same money.

Trade mentioned in this thread - Trochek or Zibanejad + others - the others would have be making the minimum salary so it wouldn't be much

Nylander, etc trade doesn't not work under the cap.
What about Taylor Hall?
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:38 AM   #13
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also talking about trading Gaudreau on NHL Network radio this morning. Clearly this is becoming a hot topic.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Move him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving painted himself into a corner with the lack of cap space. Has to happen in the summer for the cap to be there, at which point he's being sold low coming off the back of a bad season. I expect it to happen, and I expect the return will not be what many here would like.

Probably doesn't help that the market for him will be limited to the northeastern teams.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #16
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Also, something of note is that Gaudreau has a modified NTC that kicks in for the 2021/22 season. This is what painted the Flames into a corner with Iginla. Harder to make a deal when the player is calling the shots.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #17
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The time to trade Johnny was before he hit the skids.

At this stage, you need to hope he comes out of it or you are getting cents on the dollar.
It’s a nice thought that you would trade players only when there is no real reason to trade them, but it’s primarily just a nice thought.

I’ll take 98 cents on the dollar.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #18
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep him, but build around him. It's not like he is making $10 mill a year. Chicago was able to win multiple Cups with Patty Kane as their best player because they put a great team around him with multiple scoring threats.

Trading a good players for multiple okay players didn't work out when we traded Phaneuf to the Leafs.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Very surprising to see an article like this from Haynes.

A sign of internal temperatures changing? You don't often see this kind of article from the local guys out of the blue like this.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #20
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I dont think hell ever have the support he needs like the Mullens, Loobs, Fleurys .
Players like the above had Linemates and never had to worry about getting slashed, double teamed , figured out etc because they were all dangerous and could all arguably drive their own lines in some way.

Loob had Robert's and Neiwendyk
Mullen and Fleury had so many because they were so versatile .

If Gaudreau is to get back to where he was he has to do it with someone more physical than just Lindholm...Mony isnt that guy.

They need to do something however as soon hell have little to no value anywhere unless where hes going that's provided .

Knew this day would come....just not this soon however.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote