Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #81
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Oh boo hoo, the Latte Sippers are having NIMBY problems.
Nobody has said NIMBY in this thread. I live a few blocks away and our building has seen increased breakins lately but I still support safe injection. There just needs to be better police presence and a policy to keep the needles off the streets.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:14 PM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Nobody has said NIMBY in this thread. I live a few blocks away and our building has seen increased breakins lately but I still support safe injection. There just needs to be better police presence and a policy to keep the needles off the streets.

On top of that, this report is really going to make it tough to establish safe injection sites anywhere. I would expect that these communities will fight it using this police report to provide a link to safe injection site = rise in crime rates.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't have had the safe injection site at the big drop in center?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #83
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
On top of that, this report is really going to make it tough to establish safe injection sites anywhere. I would expect that these communities will fight it using this police report to provide a link to safe injection site = rise in crime rates.

I'm wondering why they wouldn't have had the safe injection site at the big drop in center?
I don’t think the DI wants their clientelle, many of whom are in recovery, mixing with drug users even more than they already do.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's fair enough, I was kind of curious about that, it just seems like a decent option to me, its close to LRT, they have the real estate, they have access to programs.

But I get what you're saying, but I'm making a assumption that a people that use the drop in use safe injection.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #85
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I am not sure where this level of attitude is coming from?? A police report is showing significant level of increased crime in the area, an increase that is being attributed to this injection site.

Are you not a citizen of the city? Do you not feel for the poor victims who have been affected by this level of crime? I don't live in the area but have a family business several blocks away. I

I take it by your comments that if you or members of your family were robbed, broken into, violently assaulted, sexually assaulted, mementos stolen and your place of employment being either ruined or destroyed, Calgary Police wouldn't need to address the concern ???

I highly doubt that if you were being victimized or members of your family seriously harmed you wouldn't care. I highly doubt that you would be here talking about the hometown hockey club with a loved one in hospital. But hey, of course we shouldn't worry about YOUR backyard, wherever that may be.

This isn't a tree being chopped down or a cell phone tower going up. These are serious crimes with serious victims.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #86
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...sive_spike_in/

People and the businesses in the area suffer while bleeding hearts that don't live in the area pat themselves on the back for "helping" "those in need"

Meanwhile, CFCN news piece on it.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1598628
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #87
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was (am still am) a supporter in general for safe injection sites but it's clear that there are major issues that need to be resolved - and quickly.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:12 AM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm for safe injection sites, but I'm not sure in terms of the overall strategy and execution that we're seeing now.

This report isn't the only report of issues around these sites, we've seen then in Edmonton and Vancouver, where there's a crime bump, and things like dirty needles and other bio waste left scattered in the neighbourhoods around.

I think that there does need to be serious discussion around these issues, or neighbourhoods are really going to go NIMBY when new ones are discussed.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #89
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Tristan Hopper got absolutely skewered for his Twitter rant about the safe injection sites in Edmonton, and for good reason. An absolutely terrible NIMBYism take, and he should feel bad.
Looks like he was right after all given the state of crime and City Council being forced to respond in the area.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1090675338814853120
Old 01-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #90
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

huge shock that crime has spiked around these sites. Who would have ever thought that.

i suppose the sad reality is that the crimes in question would still happen, but they would happen away from the injection site.

i'd imagine there is no real answer to this. although the part of me that is a law abiding tax paying citizen wonders why we are paying to have a place for these folks to break the law - but of course that misses the fact this is also a mental health issue
Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #91
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The irony with this post is that it exemplifies NIMBYism more than any other in this thread.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #92
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm not criticizing, but if this is just what works out to a needle exchange, and people are coming in and getting needles and leaving, is it really doing much to help these people?

I mean, I guess the idea is to reduce blood born diseases. And make sure they don't over dose. But if people are just getting needles and leaving, then is it really helping with either of those situations?

Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #93
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no history of Handsome B. Wonderful's post history, but I immediately thought his post was in jest.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #94
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I have no history of Handsome B. Wonderful's post history, but I immediately thought his post was in jest.
Apparently use of the term Latte Sippers is serious business for some people.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #95
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

sorry it just sounded like some of the posts early on in this thread. i see the sarcasm now.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #97
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn't this predictable though? You're attracting people more likely to commit crimes (because of their drug dependency) into you're neighborhood. NIMBYism aside, there have always been legitimate concerns with SIS, but those concerns were known beforehand, were they not?
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 PM   #98
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Wasn't this predictable though? You're attracting people more likely to commit crimes (because of their drug dependency) into you're neighborhood. NIMBYism aside, there have always been legitimate concerns with SIS, but those concerns were known beforehand, were they not?
and the city has completely dropped the ball dealing with them.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:17 AM   #99
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The police has completely dropped the ball.

1) I called my district police office four to six weeks ago to tell them about this spike in crime issues and they told me I was wrong. The officer on the line had the nerve to tell me "I'm sorry you feel this way, but our stats stay crime has been static over the past couple years, so maybe you're just personally affected over the past month, but we know from the stats that its status quo for the neighborhood as a whole." He wouldn't listen to anything I was saying but instead treated me like a whiney citizen.

I went and looked on the crime stats page for my neighborhood for December and I almost knew of more instances of b&e and car break-ins for decemeber than they had reported for the entire neighborhood. So clearly, something is very wrong with the CPS when a private citizen is almost as plugged in with regard to neighborhood crime than they are.

2) the clowns on the non-police lines try to avoid filing police reports because "the police is too busy". They won't allow you to file multiple reports at once. They make you wait up to four hours at an address for the police to arrive to file a report. They wony give you a call when the police is on their eay. They don't want to come out for a theft report until you know what was stolen. They don't want you filing at the station because an officer needs to check the crime scene. As result of increasing this burden required to report crime, crime is increasingly underreported in high crime areas. I mentioned this to the police commissioner last week and his response was that because the operators are not police, they're not governed by the oaths and police act. So basically he said in a polite way that its not his problem.

Nevermind that if crime stats are underreported, the police have weak data, which leads to weak police strategy and a slow response to increasing crime.

Which is exactly what happened with the safe injection site.

Exactly what happened.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #100
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything, I'd imagine the crime uptick is under reported. Even CPS acknowledged it.

Unfortunately, this is probably what City Council had in mind when it came to "cleaning things up". Distill and concentrate it into one part of the city without a plan, maybe turn it into a ghetto.

https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...injection-site

The drug dealers, the meth addicts, the idiots who beat people, steal from them, steal from their vehicles, steal from their homes and businesses, damage their property, scare the hell out of them.

“Officers observed incidents of threats, assaults and alarming behaviours where bear spray, knives and machetes were used,” is just one of many nasty sentences from the cop report on the mayhem.

“These police observations are consistent with concerns raised by some community members and suggest violent crime is under-reported.”

Under-reported, when violence in 2018 was officially 47% higher than the three-year average. Yikes.

Nicola Gargan is 28 and she works here as a barber. Nicola is from Ireland and has been in Canada less than a year.

She lives in an apartment right near the so-called safe injection site. She wants to move from the buffer area “because of all the crap.”
A month ago, Nicola and her boyfriend were leaving their apartment and there was a girl in the foyer “spazzing out,” her needle on the floor next to her with her lighter.

She was spitting all over the place. Nicola called the cops, and when she went back downstairs to see if they’d come, the girl “had her tinfoil out, ready to take another hit.”

The girl ran away before the police arrived.

Now he takes us to the garbage behind the barber shop and the trail of filthy needles leading to a cardboard house somebody built and lives in.

Nicola gets the final word. She lives here, in the cesspool. If she could speak to city council what would she say?

“Clean your city up.”

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: