Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #2101
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the whole problem was that WB and Snyder wanted different things from the start and those issues were never resolved. Snyder wanted to make a 5 movie epic arc similar to the Lord of the Rings where those 5 movies would function as a stand alone series to watch. WB saw what Disney/Marvel was doing and wanted a continuous universe where we get solo films and then they tie into an event film.

If they do release the Snyder Cut of JL and it is well received I do wonder where the franchise goes from here. It doesn't seem like WB is too keen on JL2 at this point but with the success of Joker and Aquaman hopefully they see that DC is there most valuable franchise.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #2102
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No but there’s been an online campaign and the actors have tweeted support, after being silent on the issue for quite a while. Then yesterday the score composer tweeted a teaser that said “tomorrow”.

While it could be all coincidence, it seems odd all these things would happen at once. Speculation is DC has already decided and this is all just hype.
I really hope it's true. However, I was under the impression that the Snyder Cut still needed 10s of millions of dollars of production to finish the effects. I can't see WB putting that kind of money into this film.

If we end up with an unfinished copy, it'll be interesting to watch just for the sake of seeing "what could have been".
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #2103
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snyder had control of Batman vs. Superman and IMO that movie was even worse than JL.

So yeah...not sure why we should think that Snyder's version of JL will be much better than what it ended up being.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #2104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Snyder had control of Batman vs. Superman and IMO that movie was even worse than JL.

So yeah...not sure why we should think that Snyder's version of JL will be much better than what it ended up being.
On top of the fact that...its just a different cut.

People can complain about the 'Whedon Cut' or whatever the hell they want to call it, but in all reality the truth is more likely:

"This is a giant mess, that guy is gone, just finish it."

I cant even see it being even all that different.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #2105
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

So, uh, Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing etc) with some positive words on the comic book movie craze and pop culture in general...

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #2106
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
So, uh, Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing etc) with some positive words on the comic book movie craze and pop culture in general...

He definitely makes some interesting points. I'm not surprised that Moore, who's initial idea behind Watchmen was to brutally murder all the Charlton Comics characters that DC had just acquired, thinks like this.

It is a bit strange that Moore, who wrote comics that largely only adults would get, is now campaigning against adults enjoying comic books. He also fails to mention that most of the creators of the early comics were actually Jewish, and many of the heros were actually misfits (for example, the Hulk, X-men, Batman, etc). So I'm not sure his point about Aryan supermen really holds up.

The idea that comics and animation were originally just for children, simply isn't true. Much of the early animation and comics were aimed at an adult audience. It wasn't until the 1960s (in the camp-era) when everything became censored, that things started to change. For example, comic books were very popular with soldiers during WWII:

https://www.military.com/undertherad...se-comics.html

I agree with Moore, that comic books are about escapism, but I don't see anything wrong with that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #2107
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

Coming to Calgary Jan 17. Tickets on sale next Friday.

https://rebootroadshow.com/
Evening show sold out. 2nd show added for afternoon of 17th.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #2108
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker sequel in the works, and Todd Phillps is also looking to direct another DC origin film....

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r_breakingnews

Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #2109
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ok so the whole SnyderCut thing didn’t happen but a lot of people are still clamouring for it.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #2110
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Joker 2 rumours are being debunked now, but Phillips has inquired about doing other villain origin stories.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #2111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok so the whole SnyderCut thing didn’t happen but a lot of people are still clamouring for it.
Is it because they think that the movie shouldnt have sucked? Because, it likely shouldnt have and there are definitely a multitude of things that could have made it substantially better.

But its highly unlikely given his track record that Snyder would be responsible for such an event.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #2112
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The SnyderCut is a completely different movie. First of all it is 3 hrs long so there is another hr of footage and the story is completely different. It features Darkseid and we already know that Iris West was completely cut from the theatrical version. Cyborg also had several scenes cut from the theatrical version including all his high school football footage and scenes with his Mom.

Even if you hated MOS, BvS, JL , having the Snyder Cut of JL released doesn't affect you. If you don't want to watch it then dont watch it lol. But for the studio to change directors after the film was finished and to use Snyders daughters suicide as the excuse was pretty scummy. It was also unfair to Wheadon and put him in a tough spot which resulted in getting the film we got. And I say all this as someone who actually enjoys JL and owns 3 copies of the film.

There is no question that DC is hot right now, and I think WB now realizes that DC is their most valuable property. Now would be the perfect time to release the Snyder Cut.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #2113
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That's all well and good but the studio would have to put up the money to complete the effects, re-market and release it. Would it be direct release or theatrical? Would they make their money back for the effort?

If it was a non-CGI heavy movie I could see a directors cut working. There have been lots that worked well.

This would be expensive.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #2114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The SnyderCut is a completely different movie. First of all it is 3 hrs long so there is another hr of footage and the story is completely different. It features Darkseid and we already know that Iris West was completely cut from the theatrical version. Cyborg also had several scenes cut from the theatrical version including all his high school football footage and scenes with his Mom.

Even if you hated MOS, BvS, JL , having the Snyder Cut of JL released doesn't affect you. If you don't want to watch it then dont watch it lol. But for the studio to change directors after the film was finished and to use Snyders daughters suicide as the excuse was pretty scummy. It was also unfair to Wheadon and put him in a tough spot which resulted in getting the film we got. And I say all this as someone who actually enjoys JL and owns 3 copies of the film.

There is no question that DC is hot right now, and I think WB now realizes that DC is their most valuable property. Now would be the perfect time to release the Snyder Cut.
Heres the thing...

If it was significantly better, and mind you thats not a very high bar here, they'd have either released it as he envisioned it or instructed it to be completed similarly.

That fact that its incredibly long doesnt necessarily mean its any better. The movie was already criminally long to go along with its meandering pointlessness.

But you're right, if you dont like the movie then the Super-Cut isnt likely to change that opinion one way or the other.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #2115
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've read online most of the movie is already completed. Snyder was working on the post production VFX for a while before being let go. Jason Mamoa said he say the Snyder Cut, which is a risky thing to say when your currently under contract by WB.

Look, I have no idea if it's better or not,or if audiences will enjoy it more or less, but I'm super curious to see what the story was and what Snyder had planned. Justice League is such an amazing comic book group (maybe the best ever?) it's a shame there first movie has so much controversy around it. I think releasing it on HBO Max would be a smart move and get people to sign up to
Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #2116
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
From what I've read online most of the movie is already completed. Snyder was working on the post production VFX for a while before being let go. Jason Mamoa said he say the Snyder Cut, which is a risky thing to say when your currently under contract by WB.

Look, I have no idea if it's better or not,or if audiences will enjoy it more or less, but I'm super curious to see what the story was and what Snyder had planned. Justice League is such an amazing comic book group (maybe the best ever?) it's a shame there first movie has so much controversy around it. I think releasing it on HBO Max would be a smart move and get people to sign up to

I don't think it's controversial at all, it was almost universally panned by critics and audiences. A movie like The Last Jedi is controversial, not Justice League
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #2117
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

John Turturro cast as Carmine Falcone in The Batman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #2118
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1200564131969032192?s=09
Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #2119
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Widow trailer looks good. My only complaint is the timing of this film. We know what happens to her in EG, but I imagine this will set up Florence Pugh as the new Black Widow going forward.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #2120
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Black Widow can fit in the timeline now so that Natasha's death in Endgame feels a bit stronger. (ie, in future binges, watch it before IW).