Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #3401
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Going back to the December 2015 Green Line pitch to council, it was argued that they should skip BRT to go directly to LRT precisely because that Centre Street N ridership would pretty quickly exceed the capacity of BRT.

Reading through the material, it should have been an easy choice to go North first, when it became clear there wasn't enough money to do both directions. Yet, the fact they chose the SE first, and not even making 16th-Beddington as Stage 2 (even after 2.5 years) suggests that the City planners have little interest in the NC, unless Council forces them to.
Ya, I'm pretty sure the pressure for the south is all on council, Shane Keating in particular. It doesn't help that the north has to depend on the City's most worthless councilor for support, Sean Chu. Maybe if he had half a clue about anything other than re-tweeting right wing politicians he may have been able to influence this decision. Alas, he's a moron.

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-17-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #3402
VintageMilanLucic
In the Sin Bin

All the more reason to live in Southwest Calgary.
VintageMilanLucic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VintageMilanLucic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #3403
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice recognition. Always enjoyed his morning update when I was on his train. Good at brightening up an early morning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ains-1.5367475

Quote:
Anyone who boards Banks's train is familiar with his voice, as he proceeds to serve as a weatherman, sportscaster and even a brief stint as a tour guide.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #3404
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know cross-posting reddit comments is usually pretty lame, but I don't think r/transit is a particularly toxic wasteland, and this sounds plausible and explains the present debacle (I'm sure the full/true story is more complicated, but no less interesting):

Spoiler!
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #3405
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However at the time the north councillor just wasn't enthusiastic and didn't champion for the line like Shane Keating did in the SE.

All Chu's fault!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #3406
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Layperson here but is there really that much demand to move people into the core nowadays? And in the future? Office towers are sitting empty, people are working remotely, and what about automated driving technology? In other words, will the problem of 2010 or even 2015 (getting more people into downtown faster) really the problem of 2020, 2025, or 2030 and beyond?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #3407
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Layperson here but is there really that much demand to move people into the core nowadays? And in the future? Office towers are sitting empty, people are working remotely, and what about automated driving technology? In other words, will the problem of 2010 or even 2015 (getting more people into downtown faster) really the problem of 2020, 2025, or 2030 and beyond?
Havent you heard, Jason Kenney will have everyone's jobs back, and another 50,000 new ones, likely by the end of December, or mid January at the latest? Although, all those amazing paying jobs will be held by people far too well off to have to ride the proletariat chariot.

Seriously though, good question, especially when it comes to Calgary. We have the worst habit of building infrastructure to fill our needs literally today, with no thought to 20-30 years down the road. The LRT system was a perfect example. Ran at 80% of capacity the day it opened, with no flexibility to increase (i.e. the 3 car platforms). I travel on a lot of mass transit systems, and almost every other one has stations with the capacity to add cars to each train as needed.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #3408
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post

Seriously though, good question, especially when it comes to Calgary. We have the worst habit of building infrastructure to fill our needs literally today, with no thought to 20-30 years down the road. The LRT system was a perfect example. Ran at 80% of capacity the day it opened, with no flexibility to increase (i.e. the 3 car platforms). I travel on a lot of mass transit systems, and almost every other one has stations with the capacity to add cars to each train as needed.
Because when we do (airport tunnel) it becomes controversial.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #3409
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes Calgary overbuilds. The SW leg of the ringroad was designed to be expandable to 16 lanes, which transportation planners are already acknowledging is unlikely to ever be needed with the way technology is going.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #3410
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Sometimes Calgary overbuilds. The SW leg of the ringroad was designed to be expandable to 16 lanes, which transportation planners are already acknowledging is unlikely to ever be needed with the way technology is going.
Technically that’s the province overbuilding.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #3411
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
All Chu's fault!
And Stevenson; it could be argue that the NC LRT is even more needed for the North of Beddington Trail communities.

And while Chu certainly did not champion the NC line, it shouldn't have mattered once the Green Line, that was going both to the Far North and the Deep SE, was approved in 2015. The bulk of the blame is on the City for under-estimating the costs so badly, and then prioritizing the maintenance yard at Shepard over the ridership of the NC.

Even somebody pessimistic wouldn't have predicted that just Beddington-Shepard (the supposed core of the Green Line and sufficient for Ward 4) would end up costing more than $4.6B.

accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #3412
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is the additional cost of designing this expandability in? Whether it's regular lanes, a BRT, or some other wacky ROW use in the future, it seems prudent to spend a few extra loonies now to move more dirt and save yourself from throwing 10x more C-notes at the problem in the future.

Prelim work on potential interchanges on North Stoney look like it will pay off soon. It's becoming increasingly clear that more lanes is rarely the solution, but when you're stuck between a reservoir and a reserve, it might actually be the best option.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #3413
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe a big part of the reason for doing that is because it required an extremely lengthy negotiation with the Tsuut'ina for the land, so they wanted to make sure everything was taken care of for the maximum possible needs of the road. When/if they ever need to expand it in the future, they won't need to go back for another multi-decade negotiation.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:14 PM   #3414
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random question: how long does it take to get from bridlewood station to the core shopping centre via the lrt during the morning rush?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #3415
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Random question: how long does it take to get from bridlewood station to the core shopping centre via the lrt during the morning rush?
36 - 60 minutes.

Usually about 40 assuming no delays.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #3416
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.435mag.com/kansas-city-b...ublic-transit/

Can't imagine a free city wide system working on Calgary Transit's scale, but it's interesting to see how other municipalities go about things.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #3417
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
https://www.435mag.com/kansas-city-b...ublic-transit/

Can't imagine a free city wide system working on Calgary Transit's scale, but it's interesting to see how other municipalities go about things.

I suppose at the very least it would give CT an idea of how many people would be willing to take public transit. What is the operations cost of CT right now? If the economy were better, maybe the City could try an experiment for a year. More people taking transit = less people on the road = less accident = less emergency personal spending time responding to accidents. Can that be quantified? I mean, today was an okay driving day, but there was at least half-dozen little accidents all over Deerfoot alone.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #3418
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I suppose at the very least it would give CT an idea of how many people would be willing to take public transit. What is the operations cost of CT right now?

A system like KC can do this because ridership provides less than 10% of its revenue; the transit agency gets access to sales tax revenue and generous funding from the Federal government.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #3419
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I suppose at the very least it would give CT an idea of how many people would be willing to take public transit. What is the operations cost of CT right now? If the economy were better, maybe the City could try an experiment for a year. More people taking transit = less people on the road = less accident = less emergency personal spending time responding to accidents. Can that be quantified? I mean, today was an okay driving day, but there was at least half-dozen little accidents all over Deerfoot alone.
I would say the current system is near capacity during peak hours so I don’t think you’d get much benefit just making it free. I think discounted evenings, weekends and families could improve ridership in non peak hours
Old 12-05-2019, 11:37 PM   #3420
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would say the current system is near capacity during peak hours so I don’t think you’d get much benefit just making it free. I think discounted evenings, weekends and families could improve ridership in non peak hours
I agree with this completely. When I worked downtown commuting by train was an unbelievable bargain, and I would have done it at twice the price. One train fare compared to gas/maintenance/expensive parking.

But taking my family to an event downtown/zoo/etc on the weekend is totally different. 4x return train fare is invariably more expensive than gas/maintenance/cheap parking.

The reason airlines, hotels, cruise ships and every other business with a perishable product adjusts prices by demand is that it makes sense. If you build for peak usage, you have excess capacity during off peak. Discounting to fill that capacity likely increases revenue, and also provides some of the other benefits of transit use to society (less ghg emissions, traffic, etc)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings