Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #541
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I have seen the quick pull and replace used a million times in hockey its not like it's something new. Its like a free timeout, that is the theory anyway

Still a terrible idea with a guy who hasn't played a real game in months but its not unprecedented

Keenan did the same thing with Kipper in game 7 vs. SJ
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #542
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ward pulling Talbot seemed like he was trying to tell his team to be a lot better and buckle down. Which is nice and all, but as a head coach that is your ####ing job. Dont play games, communicate. Instruct, motivate, threaten, encourage, I dont care. But you need to communicate with your team. He does not seem to very good at communicating, either that or he doesn't really know what he's doing.

At the very least he's gone. So thats a win.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #543
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames had allowed 1 high danger scoring chance when Talbot was pulled...not sure how much more buckled down they could have been

you can't prevent every shot
Old 08-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #544
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I have seen the quick pull and replace used a million times in hockey its not like it's something new. Its like a free timeout, that is the theory anyway

Still a terrible idea with a guy who hasn't played a real game in months but its not unprecedented

Keenan did the same thing with Kipper in game 7 vs. SJ
Yeah, it’s dumb.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #545
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Ward pulling Talbot seemed like he was trying to tell his team to be a lot better and buckle down. Which is nice and all, but as a head coach that is your ####ing job. Dont play games, communicate. Instruct, motivate, threaten, encourage, I dont care. But you need to communicate with your team. He does not seem to very good at communicating, either that or he doesn't really know what he's doing.

At the very least he's gone. So thats a win.
Yea cause I'm sure he's made it this far in NHL coaching because he's not very good at communicating
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #546
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah, it’s dumb.
Agreed, I mean the game was still tied they just got a couple bounces
Old 08-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #547
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

And that's a move Ward would make, maybe, if he didn't have a timeout. Khoudobin's first three goals were worse than anything Talbot gave up, but Bowness didn't pull him, he called a team timeout.

Flat out, I still convinced Ward screwed that one big time and is covering his tracks. I haven't seen that move in long time, maybe since that Game 7 SJ, and given how many times Rittich had been pulled this year, it's not something Ward used before. Also, Talbot was back on the bench long before the end of the second (and I think before the 6th goal) if Ward wanted to put him back in as part of a "quick pull". And again, he had a timeout.

The players certainly didnt see it as a quick pull and out back in scenario, based on their comments post game, either.
While Rittich gets some leeway, not much. He's a pro and needs to be prepared. He played half a game albeit 3 weeks ago, but had zero confidence with any shot that came his way, and the entire team changed their style to prevent picks from going through.

Thank goodness Talbot wasn't hurt at all in the playoffs because if the Flames were up 6-0 or more, the level of play Rittich showed could've had that lead more then surmountable.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #548
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Agree with browna, Ward looked like he lost his composure on the bench.

I think Ward wanted Talbot back in there after it was clear on the first two shots that Rittich didn't have it in him to save the day.

Concern should be now is did this damage the relationship between the organization and their goalies. Rittich thrown into the fire, and talbot embarrassed and not given the opportunity to redeem himself.

Khudobin looked really bad on those first 3 goals but he battled back and made some exceptional saves later in the game.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #549
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Might not be the best, but we're not far off.

Hanifin, Brodie, & Anderson had a good playoffs.

Valimaki, Kylington both with high upside.

Decent depth.

Giordano has shown he can be exposed. He's a great person, and great in the community, but as the captain he has to be responsible for the lack of leadership and team falling apart.

The D core looks very good for the future.
It is a good group of defensemen. But they were second best out of 2 this series.

And the guy that played the best is likely gone.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:21 AM   #550
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Including the 5 wins or?
Yes. Except maybe one or two wins against Winnipeg, they were still full of moments that made me feel exactly like that.

I really don’t think they played a single good full game agains the Stars, despite being 10 seconds from a 3-1 lead. It was ugly to watch.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:50 AM   #551
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
And that's a move Ward would make, maybe, if he didn't have a timeout. Khoudobin's first three goals were worse than anything Talbot gave up, but Bowness didn't pull him, he called a team timeout.

Flat out, I still convinced Ward screwed that one big time and is covering his tracks. I haven't seen that move in long time, maybe since that Game 7 SJ, and given how many times Rittich had been pulled this year, it's not something Ward used before. Also, Talbot was back on the bench long before the end of the second (and I think before the 6th goal) if Ward wanted to put him back in as part of a "quick pull". And again, he had a timeout.

The players certainly didnt see it as a quick pull and out back in scenario, based on their comments post game, either.
While Rittich gets some leeway, not much. He's a pro and needs to be prepared. He played half a game albeit 3 weeks ago, but had zero confidence with any shot that came his way, and the entire team changed their style to prevent picks from going through.

Thank goodness Talbot wasn't hurt at all in the playoffs because if the Flames were up 6-0 or more, the level of play Rittich showed could've had that lead more then surmountable.
I feel like you’re downplaying just how bad Talbot was in Game 6. He was every bit as bad as Ritter was.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:02 AM   #552
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think what if one of those Gaudreau wrap around me had gone in when we were up by 3-0. But there are so many what ifs from this series. Lack of mental fortitude. Sucks. The players keep and kept mentioning how close this group is and appeared to be a team this year, but just missed the mojo.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:36 AM   #553
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talbot was amazing in the series when the skaters weren't showing up. When the skaters showed up facing elimination, both goalies shat the bed.

This series came down to the Flames best skaters not showing up early in the series, a missed clearance with 12 seconds to go and one game of abysmal goaltending. They were better than last year, but the playoffs don't really allow teams to have key players taking nights off and still find success. The playoffs really demand 100% of what a team and players have to give, otherwise you're headed home.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #554
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 08-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #555
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Here is where things get to be a huge problem for the Flames:

They have drafted only 1 Dman in the last 3 years and Pelletier is the only 1st or 2nd round pick used on a Forward over the same time frame.

with 15 (!) UFAs on the roster this offseason not having been moved for any picks and further picks out the door for Forbort and Gustafsson, the flames asset ledger is arguably worse than it was when Feaster took over.

Detroit has drafted 18 times in the top 3 rounds in the last 3 years.

Who will win a round first do you think?
Hmm. You asked the question, and I'm just answering, but between Detroit and Calgary, I'd say the Flames will win their first playoff round. And even though I want some significant changes this offseason, such as a retool around Tkachuk, Lindholm, Dube and Andersson, if that doesn't happen, I'd still think the Flames win a round first.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote