Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #301
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I'm really sick of hearing this from Flames fans. Monahan may not be a superstar center, but he is still a top line center. Yeah on an elite team maybe he is a #2, but that doesn't change the fact he's a top 31 center in the NHL.
IMO was not one of the top 31 centers in the NHL this past season. His line was outplayed plenty 5 on 5, and they weren’t always up against other top lines.

I like Monahan, he’s tougher than people give him credit for and he has good hands. But his 200 foot game doesn’t exist and too often he looks lost in his own zone and doesn’t have the attention to detail you’d like to see.

If Sean Monahan is your number #1 center, you better have Ovechkin on his wing if you plan on winning. Or one hell of a team behind him.

Now feel free to challenge me on the 31 centers better than him and God knows I haven’t gone and added up everyone who was better. But his game is awfully one dimensional and certainly this past season, that dimension wasn’t good enough to make up for his play elsewhere.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #302
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Can we have a potential trade thread for every player? Or do we randomly pick a player we want to see traded? Asking cause than I want to start one for Monahan.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
You still haven’t created a Monahan trade talk repository.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #303
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Gaudreau > Konecny
Bennett has more value than Gostisbehere
Kylington = 2nd (though this part maybe doesn't need to be there)
Frost makes up for the first two parts

Reasonable value - at least in the ballpark for discussion (unlike the Ghost + Voracek suggestion)

Many here would say that Konecny has more trade value than Johnny because he’s younger and signed to a cheaper and longer contract. He also led his team in scoring and out scored Johnny last year.

It depends on whether you think Johnny had an off year and will rebound, or is this his new norm.

I have no idea what the Ghosts value is, I suspect it’s not great.

I suspect if Johnny is traded, he’ll be the clear cut best player in the trade. But teams won’t be giving value like he’s a franchise player.

I hope Calgary waits and hope he rebounds. I think it’s worth the risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #304
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Many here would say that Konecny has more trade value than Johnny because he’s younger and signed to a cheaper and longer contract. He also led his team in scoring and out scored Johnny last year.

It depends on whether you think Johnny had an off year and will rebound, or is this his new norm.

I have no idea what the Ghosts value is, I suspect it’s not great.

I suspect if Johnny is traded, he’ll be the clear cut best player in the trade. But teams won’t be giving value like he’s a franchise player.

I hope Calgary waits and hope he rebounds. I think it’s worth the risk.

Many people live in the world where you are only as good as your last game.

Konecny broke 60pts once and has never scored 25 goals. He also failed to score a single goal in 16 playoff games and managed to score the same amount of points as Johnny (who is apparently a playoff choke artist) in 6 more games.

Philly probably doesn’t care that Johnny is actually cheaper in actual cash over the next 2 years. Career averages have Konecny scoring 0.62ppg and Johnny at 0.96

If Johnny was traded for Konecny you would be right in the fact Johnny would be the clear cut best player in the deal. I don’t like that trade unless Hall is signed then I am in.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 08:25 PM   #305
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If Johnny was traded for Konecny you would be right in the fact Johnny would be the clear cut best player in the deal. I don’t like that trade unless Hall is signed then I am in.
He might be the better player, but when you factor in age, cap hit and contract length, he likely doesn’t have more trade value.

If would depend on whether Philly sees much growth left in Konecny.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #306
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
That's just total BS, man. Monahan is a top-six forward on every single team in the league.
If Gaudreau is on his team and feeding him passes in the slot
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #307
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He might be the better player, but when you factor in age, cap hit and contract length, he likely doesn’t have more trade value.

If would depend on whether Philly sees much growth left in Konecny.

That’s true it also depends if Philly thinks Johnny is the player that scores over a point per game and flirts with 100pts or if he is the 60-70pt winger you have often described him as.

Tough to say who has more trade value. I think a team that is close and wants to win ASAP they would prefer the more proven and dynamic Gaudreau. If a team was starting to open their window they would likely prefer the younger more cost secure Konecny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #308
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
IMO was not one of the top 31 centers in the NHL this past season. His line was outplayed plenty 5 on 5, and they weren’t always up against other top lines.

I like Monahan, he’s tougher than people give him credit for and he has good hands. But his 200 foot game doesn’t exist and too often he looks lost in his own zone and doesn’t have the attention to detail you’d like to see.

If Sean Monahan is your number #1 center, you better have Ovechkin on his wing if you plan on winning. Or one hell of a team behind him.

Now feel free to challenge me on the 31 centers better than him and God knows I haven’t gone and added up everyone who was better. But his game is awfully one dimensional and certainly this past season, that dimension wasn’t good enough to make up for his play elsewhere.
Yes, he had a bad season and maybe this one season he wasn't quite in that range, but looking at just 1 year to rank players and determine what they are is a fools task.

Claiming his 200 foot game doesn't exist is simply wrong, again not elite but he is still above average and has regularly taken a step forward.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #309
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, he had a bad season and maybe this one season he wasn't quite in that range, but looking at just 1 year to rank players and determine what they are is a fools task.

Claiming his 200 foot game doesn't exist is simply wrong, again not elite but he is still above average and has regularly taken a step forward.
Poor choice of words on my part. His 200 foot game exists, it’s just not good enough to center a first line on a team that hopes to win. He has several steps forward to take in that regard IMO.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 PM   #310
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

If the trade isn’t there, don’t do it. Don’t force something that doesn’t make sense if it would mean higher value in a trade at the deadline with a team under pressure.

Basically, write this season off and set up a long term plan, such that you can be sure to maximize value of life after Gaudreau and Monahan as our cornerstone forwards because we aren’t winning with them.

Make somebody pay fair market freight. Can’t see how a team like the Rangers wouldn’t give up a studly young prospect for Gaudreau if they have Panarin and Lafreniere and then the confidence to re-sign Gaudreau.

Could we get a guy like Kakko + other interesting pieces for example?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #311
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
If the trade isn’t there, don’t do it. Don’t force something that doesn’t make sense if it would mean higher value in a trade at the deadline with a team under pressure.

Basically, write this season off and set up a long term plan, such that you can be sure to maximize value of life after Gaudreau and Monahan as our cornerstone forwards because we aren’t winning with them.

Make somebody pay fair market freight. Can’t see how a team like the Rangers wouldn’t give up a studly young prospect for Gaudreau if they have Panarin and Lafreniere and then the confidence to re-sign Gaudreau.

Could we get a guy like Kakko + other interesting pieces for example?
“fair market freight” or best offer is the best rendered offer. After that it is up to Treliving to decide if he wants to pull the trigger and accept.

The market interest decides the market value.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:42 PM   #312
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I’m aware, but the market can also potentially not make sense. Like any market. Retaining could be your BATNA depending on how low the low balls are because timing matters immensely and trade value may rise by the trade deadline.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:47 PM   #313
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’m aware, but the market can also potentially not make sense. Like any market. Retaining could be your BATNA depending on how low the low balls are because timing matters immensely and trade value may rise by the trade deadline.
Exactly. That’s when Treliving declines and is patient or decides the offer is worthy.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 03:05 AM   #314
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
LOL how many teams have a #3 centre who scores 25-35 goals a season? Monahan is at least a #2 on almost any team.
He's a slot sitting merchant that's spoonfed topline and powerplay minutes on a mediocre team with one elite forward. His possession metrics are abhorrent, his defensive ability is poor, he can't skate or create for his linemates. On most cup winning teams, he's a clear #3. Like a Jordan Staal lite. But most cup winning teams don't trot out one dimensional slow forwards in their top 6 center ice position anyways.

Last edited by Love; 09-29-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 AM   #315
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Poor choice of words on my part. His 200 foot game exists, it’s just not good enough to center a first line on a team that hopes to win. He has several steps forward to take in that regard IMO.
His defensive game is better than many #1Cs
Old 09-29-2020, 04:17 AM   #316
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
He's a slot sitting merchant that's spoonfed topline and powerplay minutes on a mediocre team with one elite forward. His possession metrics are abhorrent, his defensive ability is poor, he can't skate or create for his linemates. On most cup winning teams, he's a clear #3. Like a Jordan Staal lite. But most cup winning teams don't trot out one dimensional slow forwards in their top 6 center ice position anyways.
I've literally never read a worse take on Monahan. This is blatant bull crap that si so bad it borders on slander.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 07:15 AM   #317
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His defensive game is better than many #1Cs
Who are you referring to? You say his defensive game is above average and how are you concluding that? It’s not as good as Backlund, Ryan or Bennett IMO.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #318
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That’s true it also depends if Philly thinks Johnny is the player that scores over a point per game and flirts with 100pts or if he is the 60-70pt winger you have often described him as.

Tough to say who has more trade value. I think a team that is close and wants to win ASAP they would prefer the more proven and dynamic Gaudreau. If a team was starting to open their window they would likely prefer the younger more cost secure Konecny.
If they do, you talk trade with them. If they don't, you don't.

This idea that some teams might value a player less, and therefore you have to accept a lesser return just shows a complete lack of understanding of how to trade.

You find a trading partner that WANTS your assets, not one that undervalues them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #319
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so glad I don’t have a HFBoards account I would just argue all day on that site.

I see Habs fans arguing that Gaudreau is maybe not worth Domi straight up saying false things like Johnny is 3 years older (only 1.5 years older) and they keep calling Domi a 70pt center and of that is the case Johnny is a 100pt winger.

I now see a horrible proposal that has the Oilers acquiring Johnny via a 3 way trade for Nurse (Flames end up with DeBrusk+Boston 1st).
Old 09-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #320
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Who are you referring to? You say his defensive game is above average and how are you concluding that? It’s not as good as Backlund, Ryan or Bennett IMO.
Backlund is elite defensively. Ryan is very good. Sam Bennett though? Bennett is not remotely good defensively and other than physical play and skating he s worse in every other aspect of the game.

Who am I referring to? That McDavid guy is a pretty terrible defensive player. Draisaitl is worse than Monahan in that regard. Matthews is poor defensively, so is Kuznetsov and that's just off the top of my head.

Tags
johnny gaudreau , trade idea