Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #421
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
A goalie stealing a couple games is how you win the Cup. You need that at least once or twice in a 4 round grind.
Sure, no argument here, but now I want to see some push back from the Flames. A goalie stealing one here and there is fine, but getting outplayed on a regular basis isn't going to get them very far.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #422
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
This is exactly it. If you really want to win the Stanley cup, you’re going to have to win in all sorts of different ways and in different types of games. 89 and 04 wouldn’t have been the great years they were without goalies stealing a game or two. Take them however you can get them and focus on the next one.
Haha exactly. If you hate goalies stealing games you would have hated the '04 run with Kiprusoff standing on his head every series.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #423
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Sure, no argument here, but now I want to see some push back from the Flames. A goalie stealing one here and there is fine, but getting outplayed on a regular basis isn't going to get them very far.
A better effort next game would soothe a lot of concerns for sure. I agree they can't rely on great goaltending every night.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #424
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I mean how many times have we seen the Flames totally dominate and get shut down by a goalie while also shooting wide on multiple glorious chances? Its happened countless times. As far as I'm concerned we are due for a game or eleven like this.

Thanks Talbot, do it again and again.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 05:29 PM   #425
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I mean how many times have we seen the Flames totally dominate and get shut down by a goalie while also shooting wide on multiple glorious chances? Its happened countless times. As far as I'm concerned we are due for a game or eleven like this.

Thanks Talbot, do it again and again.
Oh yeah for sure, and I really don't care if they win all 16 games that way if that's what it takes to win the Cup.

Just not likely is all.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #426
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
It sure as frick was something.

Just blows your mind that between 4 on ice officials they miss that stuff.
The part I don't get is why he was mad. Comeau made that exact play basically every shift as a Flame. Fly by everybody like they're standing still into the offensive zone, circle the net as everyone else gets into dangerous scoring positions, then either fumble the puck at the blue line like last night, or voluntarily bring it back out of the zone despite not being pressured at all.

At a certain point I guess I assumed it was intentional. If it wasn't, you'd think he'd be used to fumbling it. Either way, it seems to me trying to put something through the glass is a wee bit more of a "delay of game" than flipping it over the glass. But I guess I'm nitpicking now.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #427
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Here's that clip of Benny trash talking Klingberg:

Link
https://gfycat.com/creativeglassamericankestrel

Probably asked him how he's liked getting crushed into the glass every time he has the puck in the corner. Heiskanen has been great obviously, but Klingberg hasn't looked particularly effective through 3 games. I wonder if the relentless hits by Bennett and Lucic have contributed to that.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #428
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

What I’d give to know what the ref said.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #429
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
It really was a great goal, recognizing whats happening, takes off with 3 strides, bumps the puck ahead between his legs as he spins around at the blueline, LIFTING HIS LEG to stay onside while spinning, still keeps his speed to cut outside Perry while protecting the puck with his body, cuts hard to the net, dragging the puck and is able to raise it with a one handed backhand. Simply a world class shorthanded goal.

[...]

I like Backlund too, but that wasn't an intentional shot. He flubbed it trying to pull it to his forehand. The puck wasn't flat but it wasn't going to make it over Khudobin's pad either except that it got deflected up by Khudobin's stick, hit Khudobin's glove, then fell onto the back of his leg and rolled into the net. This is all very clear if you go frame by frame.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #430
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I like Backlund too, but that wasn't an intentional shot. He flubbed it trying to pull it to his forehand. The puck wasn't flat but it wasn't going to make it over Khudobin's pad either except that it got deflected up by Khudobin's stick, hit Khudobin's glove, then fell onto the back of his leg and rolled into the net. This is all very clear if you go frame by frame.

Sounds like a typical playoff goal to me.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #431
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to the net seems to result in good things, especially when goals are hard to come by. I agree the shot itself was likely accidental but in total, a really good play by Backlund there. Also looked like it was tricky staying onside.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #432
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Its amazing how much work it is to get lucky!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #433
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was actually encouraged by Gaudreau last night to be honest. He wasn't particularly awesome or anything, but he had some solid flashes of his old brilliance at times, and seemed to be generating more offensive chances than probably all of the previous games combined. I wish he got through Oleksiak - almost made him look like a fool.

Hopefully it was the start of the top line feeling it a bit more and turning things around. Flames are going to need their production if they want to keep playing games. Hope they turn it around, and after last night, I feel better that they actually might just do that.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #434
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I was actually encouraged by Gaudreau last night to be honest. He wasn't particularly awesome or anything, but he had some solid flashes of his old brilliance at times, and seemed to be generating more offensive chances than probably all of the previous games combined. I wish he got through Oleksiak - almost made him look like a fool.

Hopefully it was the start of the top line feeling it a bit more and turning things around. Flames are going to need their production if they want to keep playing games. Hope they turn it around, and after last night, I feel better that they actually might just do that.
I would imagine that Gaudreau is one pretty play that counts on the scoresheet away from remembering that he is a Jedi and exploding offensively.

Confidence is the engine that drives 90% of his game.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 PM   #435
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally was able to watch the game

Ugly win but it’s a big 2 points

Gio was good, which is good to see

Get the next one
Old 08-15-2020, 09:26 PM   #436
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the patchy iggy-style beard is weighing Gaudreau down.

Time for a fresh shave and a clean start Johnny, cause so far - you're a bum!
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #437
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Here's that clip of Benny trash talking Klingberg:

Link
https://gfycat.com/creativeglassamericankestrel

Probably asked him how he's liked getting crushed into the glass every time he has the puck in the corner. Heiskanen has been great obviously, but Klingberg hasn't looked particularly effective through 3 games. I wonder if the relentless hits by Bennett and Lucic have contributed to that.
Broadcast said that Klingberg was chirping in the media that the Flames hits had no impact on him and were a waste of energy. I’m sure Bennett was telling him to keep his head up on Sunday Bloody Sunday.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:05 AM   #438
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I also didn’t think he was quite as bad as others claim, but I’m a bit of a Gaudreau fan.

The book on Gaudreau in the playoffs simply seems to be to swarm him, which really shouldn’t work at this level.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
two big points