Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #101
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pettersson was hurt in the first period of last night's win. Never got an update on him in the 2nd and unfortunately I couldn't watch the third
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #102
AutoCorrect
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Pettersson was hurt in the first period of last night's win. Never got an update on him in the 2nd and unfortunately I couldn't watch the third

Looks like he was injured and will be out for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AutoCorrect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AutoCorrect For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #103
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Ya I agree, it’s too early to make any claims about what type of player he projects as but it’s looking promising. Seems like a very cerebral player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d like to see an improvement in goal scoring as we already see he has an elite IQ and passing ability (I can’t speak to his defensive game either)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #104
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Hobey Baker Hat Trick has been announced.

Adam Fox, Cale Makar, and Jimmy Schuldt (who just signed with Nashville Vegas)

Last edited by sureLoss; 04-04-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: brainfart
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #105
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hobey Baker Hat Trick has been announced.

Adam Fox, Cale Makar, and Jimmy Schuldt (who just signed with Nashville)
Jimmy Schuldt signed with Vegas, not Nashville.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe this is the first time the final three for the Hobey Baker are all d-men.

Makar could win the Hobey Baker on Friday the 12th; then win the national championship on Saturday the 13th; then make his NHL debut against his hometown team, the Flames for game 3 on Monday the 15th.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #107
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see them throwing a college kid into the middle of a playoff series. If he was a forward, sure. But defense is a completely different ballgame.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #108
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I can't see them throwing a college kid into the middle of a playoff series. If he was a forward, sure. But defense is a completely different ballgame.
If they are getting tuned - they may roll the dice.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:14 AM   #109
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Didn’t BOS do exactly that with Charlie McAvoy one year? He was good wasn’t he?

COL is mediocre on defense. Makar is a top 5 pick. I could certainly see them roll the dice on him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #110
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to Denver's coach, Pettersen has not been practicing with the team and they are waiting to hear on his status for tomorrow's game. There is a "small chance" he could be cleared to play.

It doesn't sound very likely though.

The Denver-UMass game is scheduled to start at 6:30pm MT, so you can watch about half the game before the Flames game starts (it will be on TSN2).
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #111
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
According to Denver's coach, Pettersen has not been practicing with the team and they are waiting to hear on his status for tomorrow's game. There is a "small chance" he could be cleared to play.

It doesn't sound very likely though.

The Denver-UMass game is scheduled to start at 6:30pm MT, so you can watch about half the game before the Flames game starts (it will be on TSN2).
Hope he doesn’t play. Need UMass to win so Makar stays in college and Nemeth stays on the ice bleeding goals to us.

MEP needs to think 4 steps ahead here.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #112
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

As expected, Pettersen didn't play for Denver in their game against UMass.

Denver took the early lead, but UMass scored 3 unanswered before the end of the 1st. They carried the 3-1 lead through the second and halfway through the third before Denver scored 2 late ones to tie the game and force OT. UMass won in OT to punch their ticket to the national championship game on Saturday.

UMass will face last year's champion, Minnesota-Duluth in the final. This is the third straight year that UMD will play in the championship game.

The Hobey Baker award will be presented tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #113
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keith Primeau's son, Cayden has won the Mike Richter Award as the best goaltender in the NCAA. He recently signed with the Montreal Canadiens.

Calgary's own, Cale Makar has won the Hobey Baker Award as the best player in the NCAA. Makar is expected to sign with the Avalanche after tomorrow's national championship game and make his NHL debut sometime during Colorado's series with the Flames.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:08 AM   #114
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Calgary's own, Cale Makar has won the Hobey Baker Award as the best player in the NCAA. Makar is expected to sign with the Avalanche after tomorrow's national championship game and make his NHL debut sometime during Colorado's series with the Flames.

This I need explained to me. I've tried looking for an answer (and maybe I didn't look deep enough)

What's the rule for a college prospect to play in the NHL playoffs?

Free agents have to be signed by December 1 of that season, otherwise, they're ineligible for the playoffs... what about prospects?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #115
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
This I need explained to me. I've tried looking for an answer (and maybe I didn't look deep enough)

What's the rule for a college prospect to play in the NHL playoffs?

Free agents have to be signed by December 1 of that season, otherwise, they're ineligible for the playoffs... what about prospects?
To address your last point first...
RFA players must be signed by December 1 or else they can't play at all for the rest of the season, not just the playoffs. That's why there was such a last minute rush to get Nylander signed in Toronto this year.

UFA players can be signed at any time up to the trade deadline and still be playoff eligible. Think of when the Flames signed Cujo, he had played in the Spengler Cup, then signed with the Flames in mid-January. He ended up playing in the playoffs that year.

The only caveat to this is that if the player has played in any professional league other than the NHL since the start of the season, he must pass through waivers before joining the team that signed him (this is how the Islanders ended up with Nabokov when he had signed a contract with Detroit).

----------

With regards to College players...
As I understand it, any player who is on a team's Reserve List at the Trade Deadline is eligible to play for the team for the rest of the season, including the playoffs. The player doesn't need to be under contract at the trade deadline to be eligible, but he does need to be signed before he plays a game.

A team's Reserve List includes any player the team owns the NHL rights for, which includes any player signed to a valid and active NHL contract and any unsigned drafted players whose rights are owned by the team.

Because Makar was drafted by the Avs, he was on their Reserve List at the deadline. As a result, he can sign with them and play in the playoffs this season.

On the other hand, undrafted College players who sign with a team after the trade deadline can't play in the NHL playoffs. For example, Jimmy Schuldt (who Makar beat for the Hobey Baker) signed with Vegas and played in their final regular season game to burn off his ELC. Because he was undrafted, he wasn't on their Reserve List at the deadline and is not eligible to play for Vegas in the playoffs.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #116
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

wrong thread
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote