Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #81
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love one, despite never having seen one in person, but Rogers is not getting a lick of my money for this unless they come out with reasonable data plans. I have no *need* for an iPhone or anything like a Blackberry, so I can wait and be patient.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #82
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The GPS is AGPS, but I can't find out what kind of AGPS.. some AGPS uses the assist from the carrier just to get the first locate faster, while others need to talk to the carrier for every locate. The first will work without any carrier connection at all.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #83
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

The AGPS would likely be a time assistance. You could conceivably navigate with three satellites given you have a decent estimate of time from the cellular network.

For all those worried about data, FYI, I have a 1GB per month plan that costs $65 a month I think, I barely go NEAR that amount of data, but I don't find a need for data all the time.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #84
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah hopefully that's all that it is. It was handy to have my N95 with the maps preloaded in the mountains driving around when I didn't have any cell signal actually.

I hope they come up with something cheaper than that, if Bell can offer unlimited for $30, Rogers should be able to do at least 1GB for $30, I agree 1GB without tethering would probably be well over enough for the vast majority.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #85
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 06-10-2008 at 12:02 AM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #86
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

its going to have GPS too. YAY! So even if you dont have nav in your car, just take your IPhone!
OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #87
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersBaby View Post
its going to have GPS too. YAY! So even if you dont have nav in your car, just take your IPhone!
The skeptic in me wonders who much extra Rogers will charge you to use that feature.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #88
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
The skeptic in me wonders who much extra Rogers will charge you to use that feature.
Yeah. I hate being compelled to pay for features that are native to the phone.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #89
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
I'm not really sure Rogers can make you pay for that. Could be wrong, but I assume it'll be included.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #90
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm not really sure Rogers can make you pay for that. Could be wrong, but I assume it'll be included.
If they lock down that feature of the phone then yes, they may be able to charge you to use it.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #91
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
If they lock down that feature of the phone then yes, they may be able to charge you to use it.
That would drive me up the wall. Honestly the fact that it has gps is almost the tipping point for me to get one of these.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #92
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would drive me up the wall. Honestly the fact that it has gps is almost the tipping point for me to get one of these.
Not to derail the thread but it's rumored that the proposed changes to Canada's copyright act would make it an offence to muck around with and unlock features that are locked down on cell phones.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #93
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

i can't see apple letting rogers lock down there phones
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #94
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
i can't see apple letting rogers lock down there phones
Most (all?) other equipment providers allow it. I would prefer if Apple would buck the trend and prevent such a thing from happening.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #95
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Apple controls all aspects of their phones. There is no such thing as a "supplier" altering any aspect of an Apple product.

AT&T found this out the hard way. They had to change the entire way they do business in order to sell the iPhone - and Rogers will do have to do the same.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #96
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

I don't think it really matters. There is a huge community of people out there that are unlocking and enhancing the iPhone for their use.
No matter what Rogers, AT&T "lock" you into, there will be a way around it.
Plus on the upside, there wont an easy way to tell if the phone has been unlocked or not, at least from a cosmetic point of view.

I guess it comes down to if Rogers is going to put in their own software to track phones that do get unlocked. Kind of like a phone home "feature".
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #97
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
I don't think it really matters. There is a huge community of people out there that are unlocking and enhancing the iPhone for their use.
No matter what Rogers, AT&T "lock" you into, there will be a way around it.
Plus on the upside, there wont an easy way to tell if the phone has been unlocked or not, at least from a cosmetic point of view.

I guess it comes down to if Rogers is going to put in their own software to track phones that do get unlocked. Kind of like a phone home "feature".
This goes back to a different thread topic, but I'd really like to not be a criminal simply for using the features of a device that I paid for. Locking features sucks.

And in other news, the unlimited data plans from AT&T for the 3G iPhones will cost more: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25791 Also, it appears that Apple won't be getting a cut of the new 3G sales, at least not the same way it was sharing revenue from monthly contracts with the original iPhones.

So AT&T will be subsidizing the cost of the iPhone in order to offer it for the price promised by Jobs and plans to make up the difference based on higher data plan charges:

Quote:
In the near term, AT&T anticipates that the new agreement will likely result in some pressure on margins and earnings, reflecting the costs of subsidized device pricing, which, in turn, is expected to drive increased subscriber volumes.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #98
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Apple controls all aspects of their phones. There is no such thing as a "supplier" altering any aspect of an Apple product.

AT&T found this out the hard way. They had to change the entire way they do business in order to sell the iPhone - and Rogers will do have to do the same.
Excellent to hear. I will never complain about somebody forcing Rogers to do their business differently.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #99
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Excellent to hear. I will never complain about somebody forcing Rogers to do their business differently.
Yeah, except it's Apple..
Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #100
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Yeah, except it's Apple..
The "Unstoppable force hitting the immovable object"?
—WKRP in Cincinatti