Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #221
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
$30 for 300MB on an iPhone isnt the greatest
I don't think these are the iPhone plans. I think these are the "everything else" plans.

I may be wrong, though.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #222
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
$30 for 300MB on an iPhone isnt the greatest
Not only is it not the greatest, I won't even think about getting one at that cost. I need at least 5GB or unlimited.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #223
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so I don't really understand all of this techie jargon...

I am a current Rogers subscriber, and want an iPhone. I don't care if I have to extend my contract by three years.

Currently, I am paying 30 dollars a month for my voice plan...if I want one of these new iPhones, how much am I going to have to pay TOTAL? And with the data plans, what does that mean? Can I receive my Shaw emails on it? And for internet browsing, that means UNLIMITED browsing of any and all websites?
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #224
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I don't think these are the iPhone plans. I think these are the "everything else" plans.

I may be wrong, though.
And this is where ive been very confused. I tried to ask the Rogers guys yesterday about this but they didnt know cause nobody has told them anything.

I have a iPhone right now, will they come out with plans that will work for mine or just the 3G plans? The CSR said that she would assume they would but cant confirm it.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #225
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Ok, so I don't really understand all of this techie jargon...

I am a current Rogers subscriber, and want an iPhone. I don't care if I have to extend my contract by three years.

Currently, I am paying 30 dollars a month for my voice plan...if I want one of these new iPhones, how much am I going to have to pay TOTAL? And with the data plans, what does that mean? Can I receive my Shaw emails on it? And for internet browsing, that means UNLIMITED browsing of any and all websites?
- You will have to sign a new 3 year contract.

- You will pay an extra $30/month for data (in addition to your current voice plan).

- Yes, you can get your shaw emails on your iphone.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #226
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:

I may be wrong, though.
Wouldn't the "everything else" plans become more competitive due to the (hopefully true) iPhone data plans? Doesn't seem the case, and I don't see Rogers having that much disparity between the two.

While these aren't the iPhone plans, it should at least give us a hint at the ballpark cost/structure shouldn't it?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #227
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
And this is where ive been very confused. I tried to ask the Rogers guys yesterday about this but they didnt know cause nobody has told them anything.

I have a iPhone right now, will they come out with plans that will work for mine or just the 3G plans? The CSR said that she would assume they would but cant confirm it.
The general consensus is that the iphone will have the earlier mentioned unlimited plans, and that these newly mentioned plans will be for everything else.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #228
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
- You will have to sign a new 3 year contract.

- You will pay an extra $30/month for data (in addition to your current voice plan).

- Yes, you can get your shaw emails on your iphone.
Alright, that's not that big a deal. Thanks
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #229
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Wouldn't the "everything else" plans become more competitive due to the (hopefully true) iPhone data plans? Doesn't seem the case, and I don't see Rogers having that much disparity between the two.

While these aren't the iPhone plans, it should at least give us a hint at the ballpark cost/structure shouldn't it?
The thing is... 300MB on a BlackBerry is pretty much unlimited data. The BB has insane data compression. Like the PDF said... 300MB on a BB is like 5000 emails a day for an entire month (or 150000 emails a month). I don't know why they don't just create an unlimited plan for the BlackBerry... but that's Rogers for you.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #230
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is... 300MB on a BlackBerry is pretty much unlimited data. The BB has insane data compression. Like the PDF said... 300MB on a BB is like 5000 emails a day for an entire month (or 150000 emails a month).
Did not read the pdf . Browsing the internet is compressed also? Downloading a 100kb photo won't count as 100kb?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #231
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I love this gem about the lack of a BES plan adjustment:

In other words: Rogers isn't offering a new BES plan, because Bell and Telus aren't offering one either.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #232
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Did not read the pdf . Browsing the internet is compressed also? Downloading a 100kb photo won't count as 100kb?
Well I went to TSN.ca, used the weather application, downloaded 1 email, and used the stocks application

That was about 850KB

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #233
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
That I don't know about... In all honesty, the internet is a gimmick on current cell phones anyway. That's what makes the iPhone and the Bold so attractive.

That's a good question though. I wonder if web data is compressed on a Berry or not...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #234
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

nm

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-19-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #235
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Erm.. what?

Via Installer I have 14 3rd party applications on my iPhone.

Best of all has to be the mobile scrobbler for last.fm.
I am quite sure the application libraries of both windows mobile and s60 dwarf that of the iphone.

Out of curiosity what kind of apps are out for the iphone?
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #236
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I may be wrong, though.
I wouldnt be surprised, rogers really doesnt understand the word "unlimited".

Anyways I remember an article where they stated that no truely unlimited data plans would be released due to the strain it would cause (insufficient infrastructure). However i read this article a couple months ago.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #237
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I did say that that a BlackBerry is one of the most elegant and efficient corporate phones on the planet. I also think the way I emphasized the word "PHONES" when comparing to an ipod or a macbook was another clue.

I guess I just assumed that the term "corporate phone" and the descriptors "elegant" and "efficient" were pretty self-explanatory within the context of this discussion.
Don't get all condescending on me here. Just calling a BB elegant or efficient doesn't say anything. What is it more efficient at?

Quote:
I don't really have time to write out a bullet-point list, to be honest.
You've made 12 posts in this thread since saying that I'm quite capable of looking up reviews on my own but you were participating in this discussion and I was interested in your opinion since you've got experience with both.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #238
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On this "everything else" plan that was posted... I can't use that with my unlocked iPhone, eh?

I can't see anything that is super wonderful that will make me upgrade other than access to data. *IF* I can use the other plan, I will....
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #239
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
On this "everything else" plan that was posted... I can't use that with my unlocked iPhone, eh?

I can't see anything that is super wonderful that will make me upgrade other than access to data. *IF* I can use the other plan, I will....
I honestly have no idea how the older iPhone fits into all of this. Smoke and mirrors are pretty much the way Rogers likes to do business. I guess we'll have to see what happens on the 11th.

It would be nice to see some info before then, though, so people can plan ahead.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #240
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess this comes under the "if you can't afford it, don't buy it", but all in all, if you were a new customer to Rogers, buying a blackberry and wanting to browse the internet, your still paying through your nose probably in the area of $90/month including taxes for your data and talktime. Is it just me, or is this over the top for the average consumer? While the iPhone data charges will be less, when you're paying $75/month on a cell phone bill every month for 3 years at a minimum, how can you justify that to yourself? I'm really interested in getting my first BB and I want to get either the Bold or Thunder when they arrive, but at these prices, I couldn't justify getting it for those monthly prices. I just wish some of these companies could look at it like this and truthfully say they're not giving it to the consumer in the hind.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote