Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #341
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

took me a bit to get used to the new vocalists in Hammers of Misfortune's latest album, but the album has quickly grown on me

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #342
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I enjoy Violater - they aren't anything groundbreaking, but play thrash well. My problem is they appear directly after Vio-Lence on my iPod, and I have to stop and listen to Eternal Nightmare in full everytime I see that name. Which is what I shall do now
Where did you get Vio-lence? I can't find them anywhere on the internet.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #343
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
took me a bit to get used to the new vocalists in Hammers of Misfortune's latest album, but the album has quickly grown on me
It is quite different, but I loved that double album.

Speaking of good new thrash bands, check out:

Vindicator - There Will Be Blood.

Hexen - State of Insurgency

Gama Bomb - Citizen Brain

Exmortus - In Hatred's Flame (more of a death/thrash band)

Bonded by Blood - Feed the Beast

Gotta love the TMNT theme.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 AM   #344
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the Vio-Lence. The "Oppressing the Masses" album is wicked.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #345
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Also, if you didn't know Atheist and Quo Vadis are playing a festival by Red Deer first week in September.
SHUTUP!

No... freaking... way.

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea this show was happening.
Definitely going to see this one.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #346
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i'm loving the new Stream of Passion album, The Fire Within

still can't say i'm a fan of the band's name, but definitely one of my favorite female fronted acts
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #347
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

More Rock than Metal but here's a link to my cousin's band, Orbital Express. They're from Regina.

http://www.myspace.com/orbitalexpress

Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Orbita...al/55890423850

Only the one song on MySpace but it is pretty decent and I'm not just saying that because my cousin is the guitarist.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #348
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For Immediate Release: Updated!
Noctis III: Tritagonist - Scarab Metal Productions announces third annual fall Metal Fest and new Metal Music Conference for Calgary, Friday and Saturday, October 2nd and 3rd, 2009.

Calgary, Alta. Canada (July 30, 2009) Scarab Metal Productions is proud to announce NOCTIS III: TRITAGONIST; a metal festival taking place over two days at the University of Calgary’s Den and MacEwan Hall; and the Distillery Nightclub in downtown Calgary. Headlining the Main Stage on Saturday, October 3rd, will be progressive metal veterans CYNIC (USA)whose comeback album “Traced in Air” earned critical acclaim after a 12-year absence in the metal scene. The show will also feature war metalers DESTROYER 666 (AUS-NLD) in their first ever-Canadian appearance, fresh off the July release of their new album “Defiant”; and black thrashers AURA NOIR (NOR) who played the Maryland Deathfest this year. Headlining the show on “Club Night” at the Distillery on Friday Oct. 2, 2009 will be Chicago’s NOVEMBERS DOOM, with support from the underground folk/heavy metal favourites SLOUGH FEG (USA), and death/thrashers ARES KINGDOM (USA).

Opening the shows will be Alberta bands: EXIT STRATEGY, BEGRIME EXEMIOUS, DEATH TOLL RISING, SACRED ALLY, KILYAKAI, NORRATH, AKAKOR, and the new, two-woman sludge band, TOSCA. An all ages bandshowcase featuring A BLOODSHED NIGHTMARE, HROM, and FORNICATION will open the second stage.

The Festival also now includes a METAL MUSIC CONFERENCE to be held on Friday October 2nd at the Ramada Hotel, downtown Calgary. A partial list of speakers includes guest appearances from Martin Popoff (Toronto) famed metal author/ music reviewer and the former Editor of the now retired Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles magazine; Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert of Cynic, Michael Berberian, (France) CEO of Season of Mist Records, Miranda Born (Holland) a freelance metal music photographer for metalshots.com, Metalhammer, and Terrorizer; Dan Rozenblum (Florida) Thunderdome Touring; David Gold (Ontario) from Woods of Ypres, and . Topics for the conference will include items of interest to metal bands and fans and will feature live interviews; discussions on what it takes to get signed to a label; how to get endorsements and distribution deals; the latest in DIY recording; how to promote your band; improving your live metal photography; etc.

For more information on the metal music conference, bands, venue and tickets please visit: Website: www.noctisvalkyries.com

For even more information please contact:

Terese Fleming: terese.fleming@scarabproductions.ca +1.403.240.7850 or +1 403.862.8773
Matt Petti: matt@scarabproductions.ca +1.403.240.7850 --
matt@scarabproductions.ca

Another terrific Calgary metal event put on by Terese! I know that there are a ton of metal fans in this city but only a very small percentage support the AMAZING local scene and events like this, which are created by local promoters.

C'mon out, support and enjoy! \m/
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #349
jayocal
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We (Sacred Ally) are hosting a show this Sunday at Big Al's in the SE. We played a show there last February and it was amazing....huge turnout, amazing sound/sound tech, cheap drinks, good food and most importantly, METAAAAAAAAAAL!

Here's the show poster..hope to see some CP'ers show up for this one. If so, please find me and say hi! I'm the tall drummer guy in shorts (prob the only short hair band member there, lol)

This will be Hrom's first ever show...Kobra is a Calgary band with a SMOKIN hot, leather clad female singer...Striker is an amazing, top notch power metal from Edmonton...and Sacred Ally is a power, prog, thrash kind of goodness.

FACEBOOK EVENT
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 1031239286

STRIKER
http://www.myspace.com/listentostriker

HROM
http://www.myspace.com/hromcan

KOBRA & THE LOTUS
http://www.myspace.com/kobraandthelotus

SACRED ALLY
http://www.myspace.com/sacredally
jayocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #350
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayocal View Post
CYNIC, DESTROYER 666, AURA NOIR, NOVEMBERS DOOM, SLOUGH FEG, ARES KINGDOM
Damn, thats a fun lineup (albeit a weird mixture).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #351
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Where did you get Vio-lence? I can't find them anywhere on the internet.
I purchased Eternal Nightmare from Megatunes a few years ago.

Still need to track down their DVD though. They are quite the elusive one to find.

Oh, and this Metal Fest; I WILL BE THERE. D666 is one of my favorite metal bands, and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

EDIT: Also, one more band to be announced, they are waiting on an agent to return from vacation.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #352
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

So one of the best metal tours ever is going through Calgary... Just a heads up... It's in Austin in November.

Mastadon, Converge, High of Fire and Dethklok
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #353
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
So one of the best metal tours ever is going through Calgary... Just a heads up... It's in Austin in November.

Mastadon, Converge, High of Fire and Dethklok
Dethklok....
oh man... my wife's going to be bugging me like crazy to get tickets.
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #354
666DanceParty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have to throw some major horns in the air for this thread!! Some of you guys sure know your metal and have posted some wicked stuff!

I have been on the scene and played in local bands for about 8 years now (Studded For pleasure, Inner Surge) and have a lot of friends that play in great metal bands across this city. I am currently working on a new cover band project with a couple friends from the band TRUCK! and we are called BRETTT "The Hitband" HARTTT and as soon as we get a few regular venues booked, I will be starting a brand new metal project that some people might just be interested in hearing about.

Anyways, there's my shameless self promo but if you are wondering about some local metal bands i would suggest to check out some of these on myspace...
WE FOUND THE BODY / EXIT STRATEGY/ OST EST IMA/ KILYAKAI/ PHANTOM LIMB/ THE FALLACY/ DIVINITY/ AS THE ROMANS DO/ THE UNRAVELLING.....

These are just a few friends bands that I can think of off the top of my head and i am sure I am missing a whole bunch. They are all Calgary bands so check them out and support local music!!!
666DanceParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #355
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didnt go through all 18 pages but it looks like you guys know your metal. Heres a few personal favs to start. I'm definitely a fan of metal thats more melodic and progressive but I love all metal as long as its good.

I could go all day. Who knows some good metal that just came out recently?
C-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #356
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Life View Post
I didnt go through all 18 pages but it looks like you guys know your metal. Heres a few personal favs to start. I'm definitely a fan of metal thats more melodic and progressive but I love all metal as long as its good.

I could go all day. Who knows some good metal that just came out recently?
I like your taste in metal
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #357
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If anyone is a fan of video games and metal, the new game Brutal Legend is a game about Heavy Metal! The soundtrack is 106 songs long.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #358
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
I like your taste in metal
Thanks! I like to think it is pretty damn good!

Again, I like it melodic and progressive, but the more uptempo I love just as much.

example: (wait for 1:46 and CRANK IT!) (song actually ends at 2:35)
Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #359
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There's too much boring old man metal going on here.

Protest the Hero. Very young, but the real deal. Canadian!

Strapping Young lad. Here, Devon (Canadian!) demonstrates his mastery over all metal vocal stylings

The Dillinger Escape Plan, this is what happens when a math metal band tries to write a pop song.

Dimmu Borgir (NWS). Scandinavian metal. I thought this song was 8 minutes long when I first heard it, it's 3.5 min, that is epic metal.

If it doesn't melt your face off, it isn't metal, it's crappy hard rock.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #360
C-Life
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
If it doesn't melt your face off, it isn't metal, it's crappy hard rock.
What a ridiculous statement. You just failed.