Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #181
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
Yeah I had tix lined up to go, but I can't get out of work. Sucks, but hey, there is a pile of good concerts coming up this summer.

I can't wait for monsters of rock, or basically, Testament. Dillinger Escape plan should be cool as well, hopefully their music doesn't get lost in the open air.

Paul Gilbert + Marco Minnemann FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6hZW3Wsr8

Anything Paul Gilbert is good, racer X, SOLO
and even hair metal Mr. Big
Rhetts_the_Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #182
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been listening to a lot of Dream Theater to get myself pumped for Saturday.

If you like DragonForce give Iced Earth a shot, similar sort of sound.

New bands (new for me at least) that I have been enjoying are Killswitch Engage and Children of Bodem.

Great thread, Metal is AWESOME.

Check out these guys too, a local Calgary metal band. They are AWESOME.

Sacred Ally

http://www.sacredally.net/audio.html
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #183
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCook View Post
Two new upcoming Opeth tracks from their new album:
Yeah, I came across a leaked copy of the new album a few weeks back. While I haven't listened to it a ton, I do think it is great. It feels like one of those albums that you need to immerse yourself into about 23 times before it really clicks and becomes one of those all-time type of faves. A much stronger nod to their 70's prog influences (such as Camel, etc.) in this one. To say the least I am really impressed with Mikael and his songwriting abilities.

On a similar yet different note - everyone should go listen to Priest's - Sad Wings of Destiny. Fan-damn-tastic.
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:51 AM   #184
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I have been listening to a lot of Dream Theater to get myself pumped for Saturday.

If you like DragonForce give Iced Earth a shot, similar sort of sound.

New bands (new for me at least) that I have been enjoying are Killswitch Engage and Children of Bodem.

Great thread, Metal is AWESOME.

Check out these guys too, a local Calgary metal band. They are AWESOME.

Sacred Ally

http://www.sacredally.net/audio.html

I would categorize iced earth like blind gaurdian
(which you see an incredible amount of influence in Dragonforce)
But iced earth sounds more of a mix with Iron Maiden too, and they actually have ligit lyrics and all their songs dont sound the same.

So they are much better than Dragonforce
Also their best album is a Glorious Burden
Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #185
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts_the_Best View Post
I would categorize iced earth like blind gaurdian
(which you see an incredible amount of influence in Dragonforce)
But iced earth sounds more of a mix with Iron Maiden too, and they actually have ligit lyrics and all their songs dont sound the same.

So they are much better than Dragonforce
Also their best album is a Glorious Burden
Iced Earth is one of the best power metal bands out there. The fact that they have had such a die hard fanbase for so long says alot for them, especially since alot of power metal bands come and go. Or so it seems.

However, I have to disagree with you...

Something Wicked Comes This Way is their best album.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:16 PM   #186
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnabdabber View Post
Iced Earth is one of the best power metal bands out there. The fact that they have had such a die hard fanbase for so long says alot for them, especially since alot of power metal bands come and go. Or so it seems.

However, I have to disagree with you...

Something Wicked Comes This Way is their best album.

I dont know man... this song is money!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6xrSyhVhc

"When the Eagle Cries"

Old 05-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #187
Shnabdabber
Account Disabled at User's Request

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts_the_Best View Post
I dont know man... this song is money!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6xrSyhVhc

"When the Eagle Cries"
hahahaha well, can't argue with that....

Still... Something wicked Comes this Way has... disciples of the lie, stand alone... super solid album. One of those albums you can slam in, listen to front to back and not be bored with. Super solid album.

I will agree with you, The Glorious Burden is one of their best albums, just not my fav. To each his own.

If you like them, check out the German band Rage. One of my favorite bands, they have one of the most underrated drummers to walk the earth.
Shnabdabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 PM   #188
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

just got back from the Nightwish concert, man they tear it up live. any doubts i had of Anette Olzon taking over as lead singer are completely removed now, she was incredible (and so much hotter in person than any photo i've seen). and they seemed to be just having a blast, i haven't seen a band have that much fun playing together on stage since Gov't Mule. i was very impressed with them staying on stage well after the last song, shaking peoples hands and taking a collective bow. you just don't see that kind of stuff very often
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #189
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
just got back from the Nightwish concert, man they tear it up live. any doubts i had of Anette Olzon taking over as lead singer are completely removed now, she was incredible (and so much hotter in person than any photo i've seen). and they seemed to be just having a blast, i haven't seen a band have that much fun playing together on stage since Gov't Mule. i was very impressed with them staying on stage well after the last song, shaking peoples hands and taking a collective bow. you just don't see that kind of stuff very often
I was also there and loved the show. I only wish they somehow managed to play Ghost Love Score, but I'm not sure Anette's voice was up to the task, still I was really impressed with the way she handled some of the older songs.

Was that an Edward Scissorhands doll on the front of Tuomas Holopainen's keyboard? A little joke that he sorta looks like Johnny Depp?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #190
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I was also there and loved the show. I only wish they somehow managed to play Ghost Love Score, but I'm not sure Anette's voice was up to the task, still I was really impressed with the way she handled some of the older songs.

Was that an Edward Scissorhands doll on the front of Tuomas Holopainen's keyboard? A little joke that he sorta looks like Johnny Depp?
the only song i was disappointed not to hear was Planet Hell, they've played it on other shows on this tour, though Marco did say they switched the lineup a bit and after getting to hear Last Of The Wilds i got over it pretty quickly. i'm completely over Tarja now, hell i preferred hearing Anette singing the older stuff. seeing her bounce around with so much energy and working the crowd is a huge improvement to Tarja just standing there stoically
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #191
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know this isn't really metal, but last night I saw Los Crudos. It's their first show in ~12 some odd years and their last show ever according to them. As a band who was probably the epitome of DIY hardcore and who shaped much of my world view, they didn't disappoint. Might be the best show i've seen in ages and definitely rates in my top 10 ever.

My bad they did play a reunion show in 2006...

Last edited by FlamingLonghorn; 05-18-2008 at 09:58 AM.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #192
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I figured I'd revive this old thread as it needed a good kick (like a dead horse). I wanted to give props to a criminally underrated band, BigElf. I know that Anthony was going off about a great band in Witchcraft (and rightfully so). BigElf is along the same lines as Witchcraft and possibly better (up to the ears of the beholder) due to the serious melody and trippy-ness they inject into their music. Fans of 70's hard rock should definitely check 'em out. These guys "should" be huge.

KILLER band...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO80-_eKHXI
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #193
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
the only song i was disappointed not to hear was Planet Hell, they've played it on other shows on this tour, though Marco did say they switched the lineup a bit and after getting to hear Last Of The Wilds i got over it pretty quickly. i'm completely over Tarja now, hell i preferred hearing Anette singing the older stuff. seeing her bounce around with so much energy and working the crowd is a huge improvement to Tarja just standing there stoically
Man, I'd love to hear Anette sing older Nightwish songs live. I haven't seen their new show but I have seen a couple of youtube clips and I gotta say I love her footwork She looks great on stage, doesn't take herself too seriously and is just having fun. Oh yeah she is one hell of a singer too.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #194
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't know if anyone knows about them or listens to them, but KORPIKLAANI is coming to Calgary in October.

http://www.noctisvalkyries.com/bands.html

Should be great. Korpiklaani is an insanely fun band to listen to (Great Folk Metal).
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 PM   #195
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Korpiklaani is ridiculously fun.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #196
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Judas Priest, kalmah, CoB, and Maiden > Everybody else

As for the rest, they are just very good.

Also, Iced Earth isn't Power Metal, they are too different and good to be Power Metal. Power Metal is Kai Hanson (Helloween and Gamma Ray) and Stratovarius and bands like those. I can't classify them, but I would not say they are Power Metal.

Also, DragonForce sucks...plain and simple. They can play fast...once, watch them live and you will see they can't play worth squat.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #197
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a King Diamond fan, love his theme albums, high octaves, and great live show. When he was with Mercyful Fate that was great too!

Last edited by dissentowner; 07-31-2008 at 06:47 PM.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #198
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Municipal Waste > all

Just watched them upstage Darkest Hour and At the Gates last week...
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #199
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Puppet Master Live.

dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #200
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
Municipal Waste > all

Just watched them upstage Darkest Hour and At the Gates last week...
Municipal Waste is one of the better newer thrash bands out there.

For others, I'd suggest:

Dekapitator
http://www.myspace.com/dekapitator

Exmortus
http://www.myspace.com/exmortus

Fueled by Fire
http://www.myspace.com/fueledbyfire

Merciless Death
http://www.myspace.com/mercilessdeath

Toxic Holocaust
http://www.myspace.com/toxicholocaust

Warbringer