Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2023, 11:27 AM   #3981
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
twitter's x's new logo is just the unicode character for "mathematical double-struck capital x" (u+1d54f), which almost surely means it can't be registered as a trademark. Elon is such a business genius.

http://www.unicode-symbol.com/u/1d54f.html
https://twitter.com/user/status/1683447558813745152
Old 07-24-2023, 11:54 AM   #3982
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

WTF is Musk thinking? He spent all that money to purchase Twitter's branding. Now he's changing it to something he thinks is cooler? This has to be one of the most baffling moves in the history of business. Musk is throwing 10s of billions of dollars in the trash.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:59 AM   #3983
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1683257292685291520

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #3984
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Musk owns x.com from a startup he founded in the 90s when it was easy to get domain names. He sold it with Paypal though and had to buy it back. He really likes X, hence SpaceX.

I think it's stupid rebranding of Twitter. Now people will be sending X's instead of tweets.

I get what he wants to do, he wants to make a English-world version of WeChat and WePay which is one of the behemoth do everything apps of China.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #3985
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
WTF is Musk thinking? He spent all that money to purchase Twitter's branding. Now he's changing it to something he thinks is cooler? This has to be one of the most baffling moves in the history of business. Musk is throwing 10s of billions of dollars in the trash.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #3986
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Musk owns x.com from a startup he founded in the 90s when it was easy to get domain names. He sold it with Paypal though and had to buy it back. He really likes X, hence SpaceX.

I think it's stupid rebranding of Twitter. Now people will be sending X's instead of tweets.

I get what he wants to do, he wants to make a English-world version of WeChat and WePay which is one of the behemoth do everything apps of China.
He tried to rebrand PayPal to X when he was briefly in charge of that platform. Not sure the timeline on that though.

He also paid $1M for x.com the first time around. No idea what he paid to reacquire it.

Last edited by Galakanokis; 07-24-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:37 PM   #3987
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There is a variety of people represented in Gavin, from Jobs to Gates to The Google boys to Steve Balmer. Maybe Musk, but he hadn't gone nuts at that point.
That reminds me of this story:

Quote:
“Some Valley big shots have no idea how to react to the show,” Miller told me. “They can’t decide whether to be offended or flattered. And they’re mystified by the fact that actors have a kind of celebrity that they will never have—there’s no rhyme or reason to it, but that’s the way it is, and it kills them.” Miller met Musk at the after-party in Redwood City. “I think he was thrown by the fact that I wasn’t being sycophantic—which I couldn’t be, because I didn’t realize who he was at the time. He said, ‘I have some advice for your show,’ and I went, ‘No thanks, we don’t need any advice,’ which threw him even more. And then, while we’re talking, some woman comes up and says ‘Can I have a picture?’ and he starts to pose—it was kinda sad, honestly—and instead she hands the camera to him and starts to pose with me. It was, like, Sorry, dude, I know you’re a big deal—and, in his case, he actually is a big deal—but I’m the guy from ‘Yogi Bear 3-D,’ and apparently that’s who she wants a picture with.”
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...silicon-valley
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 12:37 PM   #3988
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I get what he wants to do, but is there really an appetite for a WeChat here? It's a very different situation.

I think that the goal here is to have Twitter rolled into X, and then IPO X where it's "powered by AI" and he can make some money.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:42 PM   #3989
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I get what he wants to do, but is there really an appetite for a WeChat here? It's a very different situation.

I think that the goal here is to have Twitter rolled into X, and then IPO X where it's "powered by AI" and he can make some money.
I don't think there's an appetite for WeChat anywhere tbh

Not particularly educated on the topic, but doesn't WeChat basically only exist because the Chinese government allows it to operate under their supervision while banning all of it's competitors?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #3990
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also argue the one good thing Twitter had going for it is the name and brand recognition. Twitter being at the forefront of social media during the social media boom resulted in it being integrated into everyday lexicon. There's a reason why Alphabet and Meta kept Google and Facebook at the forefront even after the name change.

Why would you just wipe out all that goodwill and brand recognition for the sake of just doing a name change? Was the name "Twitter" ever the problem?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:44 PM   #3991
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

I don't know about the usefulness of the chat/messaging part but in terms of digital wallet it could be very useful. The digital wallet/money transfer system in the US seems to be much more fragmented and fractured than it has to be so there is room for improvement there.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 01:12 PM   #3992
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Companies do this from time to time and just because you don't like the change doesn't necessarily mean it is a stupid decision or laughable from a branding perspective. Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC, Weight Watchers became WW, British Petroleum became BP. In other cases the companies made an even bigger brand departure like Johnson & Johnson becoming Kenvue or Aunt Jemima becoming Pearl Milling.
everyone of the examples you have cited were brand changes forced on the companies by negative outcomes, Kentucky Fried Chicken became KFC because the public don't like 'fried', BP because petroleum is now a negative, Aunt Jemima because it's racist connotations and Johnson and Johnson because of a cancerous baby powder and the whole killed thousands with their opioid products.

Not a single one of these changes was seen as a good thing, they were all forced on their companies as a marketing necessity, what Musk has done is dumb beyond belief
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 01:19 PM   #3993
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will add another point, while changing the name online might be simple (although I bet it isnt) the cost of this name change in the real world will run into millions, tens of millions with all the law suits involved, when I say lawsuits I dont mean that X will be sued for using X I mean right now every law suit twitter was in will have to have their paperwork refiled as X, thousands of contracts rewritten, signs and headed paperwork scrapped and redone, a company of this size changing its name will cost millions
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 01:35 PM   #3994
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

He doesn't even pay his rent. Don't threaten him with a good time.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:17 PM   #3995
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1683217064125775875

I can't believe we haven't changed the bbcode to [x][/x] yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:39 PM   #3996
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
I don't think there's an appetite for WeChat anywhere tbh

Not particularly educated on the topic, but doesn't WeChat basically only exist because the Chinese government allows it to operate under their supervision while banning all of it's competitors?
WeChat as it is used in China is significantly more powerful and better integrated than Whatsapp, Instagram, digital wallet/Shopify, status update/tweets etc. combined. It doesn't need the Chinese government fighting off other potential competitors for them, albeit them gifting them data to the Chinese government probably is a natural hurdle to many other apps. And some of the comments I've heard about the benefits of the Chinese government sifting the data regularly is that the amount of scams via WeChat in regional China are a lot lower than certain other platforms. I don't know if this is completely true, but I would assume it's not untrue either. It is to the Chinese government to have this type of reputation if they track the data. I don't like this app personally and I use it as little as possible, but objectively speaking, it's an app with certain specific advantages vs other offerings we deal with in North America.

TBH, I'd consider WeChat in China like an effective evolution of a digital email/generic mailbox, basic social media and phone number combined. When China was trying to bring the digital world to rural areas, it's basically everything those individuals, who had sometimes never been on the internet, needed to start off in an easy package. I can certainly see why it's entrenched in China, but I don't believe it has to do with requiring the government fighting off competitors for them.

In China, by default I think WeChat establishes the following for a user: Digital mailbox (more than just digital mail), digital wallet, digital storefront, digital communication (face, voice and chat) and through this I believe a digital social ranking similar to giving each other a rating in Air BnB, but it's tied to your personal details which is harder to discard or abandon vs a created user account representing you which you can you can discard.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:42 PM   #3997
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
WeChat as it is used in China is significantly more powerful and better integrated than Whatsapp, Instagram, digital wallet/Shopify, status update/tweets etc. combined. It doesn't need the Chinese government fighting off other potential competitors for them, albeit them gifting them data to the Chinese government probably is a natural hurdle to many other apps. And some of the comments I've heard about the benefits of the Chinese government sifting the data regularly is that the amount of scams via WeChat in regional China are a lot lower than certain other platforms. I don't know if this is completely true, but I would assume it's not untrue either. It is to the Chinese government to have this type of reputation if they track the data.

TBH, I'd consider WeChat in China like an effective evolution of a digital email/generic mailbox, basic social media and phone number combined. When China was trying to bring the digital world to rural areas, it's basically everything those individuals, who had sometimes never been on the internet, needed to start off in an easy package. I can certainly see why it's entrenched in China, but I don't believe it has to do with requiring the government fighting off competitors for them.

In China, by default I think WeChat establishes the following for a user: Digital mailbox (more than just digital mail), digital wallet, digital storefront, digital communication (face, voice and chat) and through this I believe a digital social ranking similar to giving each other a rating in Air BnB, but it's tied to your personal details which is harder to discard or abandon vs a created user account representing you which you can you can discard.
That there is a problem.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:53 PM   #3998
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I gotta say I would eat a shotgun before giving the nimrods at twitter my bank account and routing information. What kind of smooth brained koala ass sycophant would be anxious to give those so very clearly inept jackanapes genuine NPI and personal banking info? Lol gtfo cmon now
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 02:58 PM   #3999
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I gotta say I would eat a shotgun before giving the nimrods at twitter my bank account and routing information. What kind of smooth brained koala ass sycophant would be anxious to give those so very clearly inept jackanapes genuine NPI and personal banking info? Lol gtfo cmon now
I'll have my brother get in touch.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 03:09 PM   #4000
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

What happens in x amount of years when you receive a DmX from your ex about the XXX vid you made one Xmas that their most recent ex extracted and now it’s on X and ReX’d by millions of extreme sex fiends and horny Xians.

Asking for a friend. Xoxo