Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #281
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not nice...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1109241738999283712
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #282
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d hammer on the rail deal that Kenny opposes and how his ideaology will get in the way of making those type of decisions.

I’d focus on infrastructure that was built as a result of taking debt. Cancer center, Ring Road, Green Line etc.

Run that the debt taken on was worth it and point to Alberta be Saskatchewan growth numbers.

Run that the feds bought the pipeline because of NDP and that an adversarial approach would make it easier to kill. Also point to pipeline support Canada wide has never been higher.

I don’t think the above are 100% true but I think you could craft a message that would defend the NDP record that would resonate with voters you are targeting to flip.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #283
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Another one bites the dust ...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110142116246761472

UCP candidate steps down after racist, transphobic social media posts

Another candidate running for the United Conservative Party has stepped down. Eva Kiryakos admits to making racist and transphobic comments on social media, and said she wanted to share the comments herself, before someone else did.

Kiryakos, who was the UPC candidate for Calgary-South East, announced on Sunday night that she is stepping down. She says someone was threatening to release the damaging comments.

“I’ve been getting threats from someone who wants to release images of things I’ve said or commented on in the past,” Kiryakos said in a pre-recorded video statement. “At first I was scared of this person. Scared that my fellow candidates would be affected.”

In one of the exchanges, Kiryakos blamed Muslim refugees for a “rape crisis” in Germany, another exchange included a debate about transgender washrooms.

Of course, no apologies if true. Just blame and deflection.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #284
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It will be interesting to see if all of these crazy candidates will actually cost the UCP.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 AM   #285
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see how you can smear someone if what they said was not smear worthy. This one's a kook, more so for believing she's being bullied than for the smear worthy stuff she's said. What a weird culture this is.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #286
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not nice...

Not sure I can trust the competency of a party who's staffers would rather break the law by altering a road sign because a multiple of the number makes them blush, than just move the camera a few inches to frame it out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #287
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like she doesn't want to be shackled by the UCP and their standards, and wants to be free to be publicly bigoted without having to worry about political consequences. Am I reading the right?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #288
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
It will be interesting to see if all of these crazy candidates will actually cost the UCP.
What is interesting to me is that both candidates that have dropped out so far are from what you would probably consider 'moderate' urban ridings (ie Calgary). We have not seen anything yet from the very conservative ridings in rural areas.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #289
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to be in the sight lines of the NDP and their mean girl, fear mongering campaign of hate either
The NDP reminds me of the ex girlfriend that takes every single small thing you said, dissects it, takes it out of context, extrapolates nefarious meaning and then tells everyone what a bad person you are because of all the horrible things you've ever said. it's destructive, divisive behaviour and far, far more destructive to our society than the original comments, and unfortunately, this voice is echoed by the fools who are way too eager to jump on board and give them credence.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #290
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
What is interesting to me is that both candidates that have dropped out so far are from what you would probably consider 'moderate' urban ridings (ie Calgary). We have not seen anything yet from the very conservative ridings in rural areas.
They are all prepping a lake to set on fire for when they win the election.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #291
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I just don't see how you can smear someone if what they said was not smear worthy. This one's a kook, more so for believing she's being bullied than for the smear worthy stuff she's said. What a weird culture this is.
"Someone is threatening to release the bad things I said!"

I love the effort to try and position that as someone else being in the wrong for pointing out those things, not the fact that she herself said those things in public.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #292
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to be in the sight lines of the NDP and their mean girl, fear mongering campaign of hate either
The NDP reminds me of the ex girlfriend that takes every single small thing you said, dissects it, takes it out of context, extrapolates nefarious meaning and then tells everyone what a bad person you are because of all the horrible things you've ever said. it's destructive, divisive behaviour and far, far more destructive to our society than the original comments, and unfortunately, this voice is echoed by the fools who are way too eager to jump on board and give them credence.
Lol...wut?? Showcasing misogynist/bigoted/racist posts and thoughts from candidates is worse than actually saying and believing those ideas in the first place?? There is a simple solution to this problem...DONT HAVE/SAY THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #293
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I guess this can go here

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...box=1553464030

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #294
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What I want to know is why don't these people wipe/edit their social media when they're running for office? Or did they truly think their 1980's view points would be acceptable in 2019?

Social media is here to stay, whether you like it or not. Learn to use it to your advantage and for ####'s sake, delete your homophobic/racist posts.

Last edited by Looch City; 03-25-2019 at 10:11 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #295
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, "Muslims are the reason for the rape crisis" is far less destructive and divisive than "that person said muslims are the reason for the rape crisis."

What I find very fascinating is the efforts of certain types of people of trying to change the narrative, how it is no longer wrong to say hateful, "destructive" things, but pointing them out is now for "fools" and some sort of "mean girl" antics.

It's time those certain types of people grow up and own their words. That means being willing to stand behind them, respond to criticism, and not just blame everyone else for your words and running away if someone dares question you. It's very sad to see a number of UCP candidates and many more UCP supporters deflect any and all ownership of their own words and blame the NDP for being "mean." Grow up people.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #296
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really glad she won't be representing my constituency. Those values arent something I am prepared to stand behind, hopefully this is a lesson to all governments that the people in these constituencies want more inclusion.

Hopefully this cuts a lot of the chaff from the UCP and they become the socially moderate but fiscally responsible party I wanted them to be.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #297
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Really glad she won't be representing my constituency. Those values arent something I am prepared to stand behind, hopefully this is a lesson to all governments that the people in these constituencies want more inclusion.

Hopefully this cuts a lot of the chaff from the UCP and they become the socially moderate but fiscally responsible party I wanted them to be.
Yeah, I honestly don't know why some UCP supporters don't see these developments as massive wins.

Still very likely to win the majority, and the "mean girls" are doing a great job of weeding out the people who really have no place to be in a position of power in this province. Win-win.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #298
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dp
Old 03-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #299
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You're right, "Muslims are the reason for the rape crisis" is far less destructive and divisive than "that person said muslims are the reason for the rape crisis."
You're kidding right? There's a real epidemic in the Middle East, in places like Afghanistan where young women are being taken prisoner, raped over and over and forced to bear children by Muslim extremists. Why exactly is stating that fact of issue to some in the first place? It's merely to spread fear and hate and quiet those who you don't agree with.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #300
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're kidding right? There's a real epidemic in the Middle East, in places like Afghanistan where young women are being taken prisoner, raped over and over and forced to bear children by Muslim extremists. Why exactly is stating that fact of issue to some in the first place? It's merely to spread fear and hate and quiet those who you don't agree with.

You're incorrectly applying what might be a horrible reality from Afghanistan, a lawless, failed, war state, to Germany, which is then misinterpreted again and reapplied to Canada. It may not seem like a long journey from Afghanistan to Canada but it really is.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread