Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #13681
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was a team I would consider offersheeting Bennett, 21 million over 5 years (4.2 million a year). Would cost a team that did that a 2nd round pick.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #13682
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I don't care about size, i care about compete. This playoffs showed how willing our guys are to shy away from the challenges of playoff hockey.
Johnny and Sean were shy. Backlund, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Frolik, Bennett, Hathaway, Ryan, Mangiapane, Gio, Brodie, Hamonic, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki and Smith were not.

Jankowski and Neal were bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #13683
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If I was a team I would consider offersheeting Bennett, 21 million over 5 years (4.2 million a year). Would cost a team that did that a 2nd round pick.
4.2 M with a 2nd round pick premium is a lot to pay for a guy who isn’t good at center and hasn’t broken 30 points in three years

And I like what Bennett brings
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #13684
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Transplant is correct - they don't need to get bigger. Marchand isn't big. Bergeron isn't big. Toews is a normal sized guy. At 5 ft 11 200 lbs, Crosby is smaller than a large percentage of this forum.

It is the size of the fight in the dog. Johnny hasn't shown enough fight. Monahan hasn't shown enough fight. Until those two players understand that pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever, they're going to be round 1 cannon fodder.

Monahan could help his own cause a lot by fighting someone next October. Because right now, the league does not respect him. He wants to act like he's above the physical play, and he's not.

Bergeron has fought Blake Wheeler, Tyler Myers and Evgeni Malkin among others for his career. He hasn't burst into flame. It won't be hard to find another star player. Fight McDavid or Draisaitl. Fight someone, Sean. Show us you care.

If Monahan makes it through the next season without a fighting major, he doesn't get it and I want him gone.

You come across as though you are a child making demands at the toy store. 'I want this or I'm running away!'.

You should know better Sean Monahan isn't going to fight anyone. And that's fine.

What I expect to see out of Sean Monahan is the ability to win puck battles, beat guys to the puck (especially when he has a step on them), possess the puck, and keep up to the play.

I could care less if Sean Monahan ever gets in to a fight, he's probably not very good at it. It would be an excersize in futility. There are plenty of guys who haven't fought.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #13685
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a huge risk for Bennett.

If a team did that I would not be shocked if we said by to Bennett.

We could also just simply move Frolik, so it wouldn't really cause that much of an issue.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #13686
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
You come across as though you are a child making demands at the toy store. 'I want this or I'm running away!'.

You should know better Sean Monahan isn't going to fight anyone. And that's fine.

What I expect to see out of Sean Monahan is the ability to win puck battles, beat guys to the puck (especially when he has a step on them), possess the puck, and keep up to the play.

I could care less if Sean Monahan ever gets in to a fight, he's probably not very good at it. It would be an excersize in futility. There are plenty of guys who haven't fought.
If Sean Monahan isn't going to fight anyone ever, that's a problem.

Everyone fights. Datsyuk fought. Gretzky fought once. Crosby has fought multiple times. Malkin. Ovechkin.

Mike goddamn Cammalleri has a few tilts in his career.

Monahan is entering his 6th season in the league and I'm not sure if he's even sworn at another player. This is a man who's looked at as a leader. He is not above violence. He is 6 ft 3 and 205. He doesn't have to fight Ryan Reaves, but he needs to do something more than 'nothing'.

This is a player who hasn't averaged a hit every two games since his rookie year.

It's unacceptable. It's a problem. Maybe the biggest problem. You can maybe get away with Johnny being a bit passive. You can't get away with 2/3 of the top line being rigid pacifists.

Good men doing nothing is not the way you get your name etched on that trophy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #13687
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
That's a huge risk for Bennett.

If a team did that I would not be shocked if we said by to Bennett.

We could also just simply move Frolik, so it wouldn't really cause that much of an issue.
Bennett has never had 40 points. If someone offers him $21M, he'd be a fool to turn it down.

Edit: apologies if you mean a huge risk to the team.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 05-04-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #13688
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
If the flames had the ability I’d sign Marner to the RFA that would cost the Flames 2 x 1st, 2nd, 3rd at the max amount for that cost; the leafs would be hard pressed to match and Marner with Tkachuk would be magic. So much would need to happen though and I just don’t see the Flames being able to add a contract like that.

Still though; if everything worked perfectly:

Somehow clear Neal from the roster
Brodie for top 15 pick + prospect
Frolik for 2nd round pick

I can’t imagine any of these being remotely possible.

A team with a top 15 pick is likely not using that pick for a 1 year rental of an inconsistent d-man. Brodie would not be the missing piece of a non- playoff team. Plus a prospect LOL?

Frolik is a cap dump, you aren’t getting a 2nd for him.

Getting rid of Neal without taking on cap isn’t legal in Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #13689
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Everyone fights. Datsyuk fought. Gretzky fought once. Crosby has fought multiple times. Malkin. Ovechkin.

Monahan is entering his 6th season in the league and I'm not sure if he's even sworn at another player. This is a man who's looked at as a leader. He is not above violence. He is 6 ft 3 and 205. He doesn't have to fight Ryan Reaves, but he needs to do something more than 'nothing'.

This is a player who hasn't averaged a hit every two games since his rookie year.

It's unacceptable. It's a problem. Maybe the biggest problem. You can maybe get away with Johnny being a bit passive. You can't get away with 2/3 of the top line being rigid pacifists.

The game has changed and there is no need for Monahan to fight. It's not part of his game, and never been part of his game. I think if you were expecting Monahan to play like Iginla and fight opponents than maybe your expectation of him may need to be adjusted. Monahan does not need to be in the box for 5 minutes for fighting, he is more valuable on the ice than the penalty box. You don't need to fight, or hit to be a tough player, he is constantly in the slot where defensemen like to lean on players to get them away from the front. And it would explain the broken thumb this season and wrist injury from last season.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #13690
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I'm the Flames I walk away with that draft pick and don't look back. Sam Bennett is not a $4.2M player. Currently worth about half that. Let someone else take that risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #13691
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not saying he needs to fight but wanted to add one to the list.

Ryan nothing-happens (aka 'the tenderness') has a fight.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #13692
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying aside from the fighting. Even if Monahan fought next year, that would be a one off event that would accomplish next to nothing. It's not a sustainable change. He's not going to morph into Eric Lindros.

The change I want to see in his game is seeing him become a harder/heavier player to play against. He doesn't need to fight or even start hitting hard. Just start leaning on guys, wear them down, get in the way. Be hard on the puck. Own it.

I'll agree with you he's far too passive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #13693
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
The game has changed and there is no need for Monahan to fight. It's not part of his game, and never been part of his game. I think if you were expecting Monahan to play like Iginla and fight opponents than maybe your expectation of him may need to be adjusted. Monahan does not need to be in the box for 5 minutes for fighting, he is more valuable on the ice than the penalty box. You don't need to fight, or hit to be a tough player, he is constantly in the slot where defensemen like to lean on players to get them away from the front. And it would explain the broken thumb this season and wrist injury from last season.
Sean Monahan does need to be in the box for 5 minutes for fighting. If I'm an opposing player, I go right at Monahan and abuse him for sixty minutes because I know he's not going to do anything. Neither will his left winger, and his right winger probably won't either if it's not Bennett.

I said it in another thread, but the best thing Matthew Tkachuk ever did for his career was elbow Doughty in the chops. That one action has probably given Tkachuk more operating room than any enforcer ever could.

Monahan won't stand up for himself, he won't stand up for his teammates. He's banged up every year because nobody's scared of him. I'd slash the #### out of Monahan's hands if I was playing him - worst case, I get a minor. Best case, I ruin his team's year. That's never not worth the 2.

Monahan doesn't want to fight? High stick someone. Elbow them. Grab a guy in a scrum and take his legs out. Just do something scummy and get him to the ice. Do something, anything to show that you won't just let the league walk all over you.

Even if he doesn't want to fight for himself, he owes it to his meal ticket to watch Gaudreau's back. Again, not to say he needs to have 20 majors at the end of the year. But he needs to do more violence or this club isn't going to take the next step.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #13694
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Having recovered from a serious wrist injury / surgery and we're upset he isn't fighting? Ok.

Conroy summed it up. They want him faster. Working on core strength this summer and adjusting how he skates and his stance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #13695
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Having recovered from a serious wrist injury / surgery and we're upset he isn't fighting? Ok.

Conroy summed it up. They want him faster. Working on core strength this summer and adjusting how he skates and his stance.
It's good they're asking him to get faster. A 205 lb man who won't hit a mosquito doesn't need to be 205. He's not using his size at all, never mind effectively.

I am upset Monahan hasn't done a single dirty or aggressive thing in his pro career because it's holding him back. The OHL suspended him 10 games for a hit to the head, and it's like that scared him straight.

Snap out of it and go be a #### to someone. The way he limply held onto Tyson Barrie while the Avs worked over Gaudreau was pathetic. By all means, be disciplined etc but when you're down in an elimination game, and you haven't done anything all series, and your best player and running mate is getting ganged up on, it's time for Hulk to smash. It's not like Monahan was going to be an offensive catalyst to cue a comeback in that game, but seeing 23 beat on someone might have actually inspired the team.

The only reason Monahan is not physical and not aggressive is because he chooses not to be. And that's not acceptable.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #13696
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I am upset Monahan hasn't done a single dirty or aggressive thing in his pro career because it's holding him back.

Fire a few slapshots against the side of his RV this summer. Maybe that'll rile him up.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #13697
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
It's good they're asking him to get faster. A 205 lb man who won't hit a mosquito doesn't need to be 205. He's not using his size at all, never mind effectively.

I am upset Monahan hasn't done a single dirty or aggressive thing in his pro career because it's holding him back. The OHL suspended him 10 games for a hit to the head, and it's like that scared him straight.

Snap out of it and go be a #### to someone. The way he limply held onto Tyson Barrie while the Avs worked over Gaudreau was pathetic. By all means, be disciplined etc but when you're down in an elimination game, and you haven't done anything all series, and your best player and running mate is getting ganged up on, it's time for Hulk to smash. It's not like Monahan was going to be an offensive catalyst to cue a comeback in that game, but seeing 23 beat on someone might have actually inspired the team.

The only reason Monahan is not physical and not aggressive is because he chooses not to be. And that's not acceptable.
Didn’t it come out afterwards that he has a cracked thumb? You want him to throw some punches with a broken thumb? Geez.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 11:36 PM   #13698
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would keep Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, Hathaway, Hamonic, Valimaki, and Rittich.

The rest can go.

Time for another rebuild with a new GM.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:38 PM   #13699
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
I would keep Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, Hathaway, Hamonic, Valimaki, and Rittich.

The rest can go.

Time for another rebuild with a new GM.

Bennett and Hathaway make your list of untouchables?
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #13700
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theme is "unsoft" players with gusto.

None of these squishy proverbial "Monahans" that the mass hysteria has drummed up.
Closed Thread