Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #13441
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Hathaway ain’t going anywhere.
Maybe. I guess we'll see?

I like what he brings to the team, don't get me wrong. My point is I don't think they should give him a large raise even though he deserves one. Calgary can replace his speed internally. The physicality can hopefully be addressed through other means during the offseason (trade, ufa signing).
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #13442
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Would think after that playoff where our softness was confirmed and Hathaway was good, he probably shouldnt be pushed out of the lineup.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #13443
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I still think Connolly is what we need. He plays like a poor man's Rick Nash he's big and fast. At best he's an upgrade on Frolik and saves us cap as I think he could be had for 3-4 mill. At worst he can bump Jankowski or Neal off the roster. Minor signing but makes us faster and tougher to play against.

Last edited by Psytic; 04-27-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #13444
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hathaway ain’t going anywhere. We have no one to really replace his role on the team (4th line grinder). Who replaces his speed and physicality? I don’t even see any options at all internally. The 4th line was also arguably one of our best lines in the playoffs and down the stretch.

Why would we start getting rid of players who actually showed up for the playoffs? We need more of them not less
How much are you willing to pay to keep UFA Hathaway, given his inflated production last season and the fact that he was for the second straight year a huge beneficiary of his linemates?

Even if we're happy with Hathaway's play, we don't know if he can repeat his offensive explosion and that's a problem when another team might throw 2+ mil at him when that's well above his realistic value.

As much as I liked our 4th line, and Hathaway helped balance it out, he was clearly the third most valuable player on that line and the most easy to find a replacement for. His speed was mostly unremarkable and his physicality would not be impossible to replace. His real value-added was his attention to detail which helped him thrive alongside Ryan and Mangiapane.

As for internal replacements, I don't know. Lazar is the only guy I can think of. Lazar may not be as "proven" as a goal scorer or penalty killer but he's also a good bit younger and may find a fit with Eatbread and Ryan. Lazar also brings a bit of speed and puck carrying ability that Hathaway lacks.

Externally, we might be able to find a group VI free agent who can bring what he brings at a better value. I have to think there's a player out there who can do the basics that Hathaway can do at a cap hit that makes sense.

If Hathaway's cheap, of course you keep him. But I am not convinced he will be.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 04-27-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #13445
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
All comes down to contract. Hathaway is fine at his current salary with a slight raise, but Tre will not get Bouma'd again.
Luckily Hathaway doesn’t have the offensive numbers to be making Bouma like money.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #13446
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
How much are you willing to pay to keep UFA Hathaway, given his inflated production last season and the fact that he was for the second straight year a huge beneficiary of his linemates?

Even if we're happy with Hathaway's play, we don't know if he can repeat his offensive explosion and that's a problem when another team might throw 2+ mil at him when that's well above his realistic value.

As much as I liked our 4th line, and Hathaway helped balance it out, he was clearly the third most valuable player on that line and the most easy to find a replacement for. His speed was mostly unremarkable and his physicality would not be impossible to replace. His real value-added was his attention to detail which helped him thrive alongside Ryan and Mangiapane.

As for internal replacements, I don't know. Lazar is the only guy I can think of. Lazar may not be as "proven" as a goal scorer or penalty killer but he's also a good bit younger and may find a fit with Eatbread and Ryan. Lazar also brings a bit of speed and puck carrying ability that Hathaway lacks.

Externally, we might be able to find a group VI free agent who can bring what he brings at a better value. I have to think there's a player out there who can do the basics that Hathaway can do at a cap hit that makes sense.

If Hathaway's cheap, of course you keep him. But I am not convinced he will be.
Yeah Lazar probably the only replacement in house.

Since when is 19 points an “offensive explosion”?

I’m not willing to pay Hathaway big dollars but I doubt any team is. He’s a clear cut 4th line grinder and should be making around a million at most IMO.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #13447
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’m not willing to pay Hathaway big dollars but I doubt any team is. He’s a clear cut 4th line grinder and should be making around a million at most IMO.
It only takes one team that feels they need some grit to overpay a player like Hathaway. I'm sure the Flames will have a number in mind for him and if another team has a bigger number in mind Hathaway will be in a different jersey next season.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #13448
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

19 points for a 4th liner is pretty impressive tbh.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #13449
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm beginning to wonder if FLA make good trading partners with us in multiple possible scenarios.

I could see them coveting Frolik as he has history with the coach, the GM and the franchise itself.

I could see them wanting Jankowski as a cheap 3rd lime centre option (Sheehan UFA).

I don't know enough about their D, but they may like Brodie as well.

They have 9 picks in the upcoming draft and will likely be taking on huge salary with Bob and Panarin. Probably the most value a team could give to them is taking on the Reimer salary.

The only way I'd consider that is if it involved trochek.

I wonder if we were able to flip Brodie for a 1st if they would do Frolik, Janko and that first for trochek, Reimer (25% retained).

Would not be in love with our goalie tandem, but before this year Reimer was pretty solid. BSD would need to step up. Adding trochek to this team without sacrificing our own 1st rounder or a part of the core would be amazing.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #13450
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Florida is probably looking for a way to get rid of Reimer, who makes too much money and hasn't performed.

They need to be careful adding salary though because the biggest salaries coming off the books are McGinn and Sheahen, and they need money to take a run at the Russians.

That's why Hoffman is reportedly on the block. I'm sure they'd love to dump Pysyk too.

But Reimer will be a hard sell because he's under contract until 2021.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #13451
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Florida is probably looking for a way to get rid of Reimer, who makes too much money and hasn't performed.

They need to be careful adding salary though because the biggest salaries coming off the books are McGinn and Sheahen, and they need money to take a run at the Russians.

That's why Hoffman is reportedly on the block. I'm sure they'd love to dump Pysyk too.

But Reimer will be a hard sell because he's under contract until 2021.
They also will not be paying luongo's full salary, one way or another.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #13452
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guys guys... it should make sense for the other team too.

If they are going all in on Panarin and Bob they sure as hell aren't getting rid off Trocheck, an excellent 2C, for minor pieces and futures.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #13453
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hathaway had 11 goals in 76 games last year. Contrast that with the 5 goals he had over his first 99 NHL games. That's an explosion if you ask me. Especially with his shooting percentage nearly tripling from 4.9% to 14.3%.

And 19 points is exactly what Matt Martin had when he signed a 4 year 10 million dollar deal in Toronto. That's a 2.5M cap hit with term. If a team even offers Hathaway 2.25M over 3 years you need to run from it.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #13454
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Guys guys... it should make sense for the other team too.

If they are going all in on Panarin and Bob they sure as hell aren't getting rid off Trocheck, an excellent 2C, for minor pieces and futures.
Taking on Reimer is definitely not a minor piece. The only way they can fit Bob in is if they start with a blank slate in net.

A first is a first. Not really minor.

Frolik and Janko are both minor, but would have value to them as I explained and give them depth.

They save 2 million and shape their roster in a way they need to moving forward, sliding Huberdeau to 2c. I don't think the value is too far off.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #13455
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Taking on Reimer is definitely not a minor piece. The only way they can fit Bob in is if they start with a blank slate in net.

A first is a first. Not really minor.

Frolik and Janko are both minor, but would have value to them as I explained and give them depth.

They save 2 million and shape their roster in a way they need to moving forward, sliding Huberdeau to 2c. I don't think the value is too far off.
Except Huberdeau isn't a C.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #13456
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Except Huberdeau isn't a C.
Fair enough, thought he played some centre earlier in his career.

FLA needs to do something and will lose a serious player be it Hoffman, Yandle or trocheck if they want to get Bob and Panarin. Could make for an interesting trade partner.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #13457
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, thought he played some centre earlier in his career.

FLA needs to do something and will lose a serious player be it Hoffman, Yandle or trocheck if they want to get Bob and Panarin. Could make for an interesting trade partner.
They have over 20 million in cap space and can fit both Panarin and Bob without moving anyone.

But even if you think your value is there (i don't, it's clearly quantity for quality) that trade makes no sense and doesn't fill any need for Florida. Borgstrom scored as much as Janko and is a couple of years younger and cheaper and they have no need for Frolik and his 4 million cap hit. Trocheck is one of their core guys and removing him would create a massive hole for them.

Hoffman on the other hand might be available.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #13458
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

See lots of Monahan talk but to me it just seems too risky.

Just can’t see a deal being made in which we come out on top. Monahan is going to have to simply figure things out. These playoffs were obviously a nightmare for him but his playoff totals aren’t terrible. Trading a 24 year old centerman with his goal scoring ability just doesn’t make sense.

I would agree that when it comes to centermen we need to add grit. To me Jankowski absolutely must go or be demoted.He was perhaps softer and less existent than Monahan and the 3C spot seems like a very logical place to fill this void. Obviously another option is to go Monahan, Lindholm, Backlund as C and add a grittier RW but we all know how that worked out last time.

I know I’m likely in the minority but I’m hoping Tre doesn't take on too much risk and tweaks the lineup accordingly. This core is young and I would suspect they leaned a lot in these playoffs. Seems like a somewhat pivotal time for the franchise but perhaps too early to gamble.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #13459
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Neal for Hoffman. The reverse oilers 1 for 1.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #13460
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
They have over 20 million in cap space and can fit both Panarin and Bob without moving anyone.

But even if you think your value is there (i don't, it's clearly quantity for quality) that trade makes no sense and doesn't fill any need for Florida. Borgstrom scored as much as Janko and is a couple of years younger and cheaper and they have no need for Frolik and his 4 million cap hit. Trocheck is one of their core guys and removing him would create a massive hole for them.

Hoffman on the other hand might be available.
Sure, what would you give up for Hoffman then?

They definitely have space. But depending on a few factors, it could be gone with players still to sign.

Maybe they get the Russians on a discount, or maybe they pay the going rate of ~20 million.

There is most of it with 5-6 players to add.

If Luongo retires and they can't move Reimer, that has them paying 15 million for goalies when the D and bottom 6 needing upgrades.

They have options, but I wouldn't take on Reimer for Hoffman.

I'm pretty optimistic in what Tre can do for this team creating something out of perceptibly nothing in the offseason. Brodie, Frolik and Jankowski are all players that I believe hold more value than what many are giving them credit for.
Closed Thread