Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #11641
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Worth noting the team is reportedly looking for depth LHD. Doesn't make much sense to trade Brodie away, regardless which pair he is on, when he possesses the traits they are after.
Any Brodie trade will have to happen in the summer before the draft. No one in their right mind would trade him now unless we got a similar defensemen in return.

Defensive depth wins cups.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #11642
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Moving Brodie makes the Flame top priority finding a top-4 d-man that puts up 28 non-pp points and works really well with Gio. Remember Gio's last year where he was Partnered with Hamilton??

The veteran back up for 1M ??? Elliot coming off an epic playoff fail goes for 2.75.

Is the plan to go with Smith for 1M? Because that is what you get for 1M.
Elliot was paid to be a starter....

Smith is better than Elliot, so yeah I’d take that.

Brodie isn’t going anywhere pre-playoffs. But I’d be shocked if he was here come training camp.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #11643
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Pretty much all of that "effort" involves us trading away our #2 defenseman so forgive me if I don't think Treliving has the same designs.

Yes, there are ways we can squeeze in a top 6F within the cap and not be reckless with our defense core, but most of them involve packaging negative value contracts like Mike Stone and James Neal with picks/prospects. And the irony of that is that we ostensibly need Mike Stone to convince Mark Stone to re-sign.
You can get by without ditching Brodie, I think most of us just believe he is the most detachable piece from the back end long term:
- probably at his maximum upside, and while pretty great, still makes some pretty obvious gaffes
- we will not be able to protect all of our assets at the expansion draft, and people believe that keeping hanifin, valimaki, kylington and Anderson is more important (and gio obviously)
-brodies next contract will make him much less appealing going forward
-people are nervous after his performance the last few years and want to maximize his trade value- sell high
-people are confident that Rasmus can take his spot without disrupting the team

Other things we can do for space next season:
-get rid of frolik for a pick
-perhaps investigate trading neal (if he does well in playoffs especially)
-maybe look into trading Ryan if we really have to. I think there would be suitors.
-sign tkachuk to a short term bridge (5.5-6mil range on 2-3 years buys us more time)

Really it's the model the Blackhawks used during peak dynasty- inflate value in playoffs of vets and trade to recoup assets then bring in low value contracts to support core. Trading brodie is like trading Brian Campbell.

Brodie move is definitely in the offseason and not now though

Last edited by Monahammer; 02-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #11644
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope teams around the league covet Brodie as much as GranteedEV. Means the Flames can get a solid return for him should they choose to deal him at the draft. Especially if they do acquire and extend Stone. Would go a long way to recovering some of the draft picks they would have traded away to get him.

Imagine a scenario where the Flames trade their 1st plus for Stone and extend him. Then they win the cup and Ottawa drafts 31st OA with that pick. In the meantime they trade Brodie at the draft for Hamonic type return and end up drafting in the 20 to 30 range.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #11645
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I hope teams around the league covet Brodie as much as GranteedEV. Means the Flames can get a solid return for him should they choose to deal him at the draft. Especially if they do acquire and extend Stone. Would go a long way to recovering some of the draft picks they would have traded away to get him.

Imagine a scenario where the Flames trade their 1st plus for Stone and extend him. Then they win the cup and Ottawa drafts 31st OA with that pick. In the meantime they trade Brodie at the draft for Hamonic type return and end up drafting in the 20 to 30 range.
Brodie will net at least 2nd's at the draft. The big question is if he is with a 1st straight up. Will depend on how he finishes the season and playoffs.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #11646
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Any Brodie trade will have to happen in the summer before the draft. No one in their right mind would trade him now unless we got a similar defensemen in return.

Defensive depth wins cups.
Exactly...anyone who thinks BT is trading Brodie now, needs to re-think things.

I just as strongly believe he will be traded at the draft.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #11647
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
You do realize that not everyone thinks Brodie is a top pairing dman like you do... because he is not but his value is high playing with Giordano so trade him.
Gio was not a top 10 d-man 2017-18 when he was paired with Hamilton. He was tied for 17th in the all star balloting and 16th in the Norris.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #11648
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Brodie will net at least 2nd's at the draft. The big question is if he is with a 1st straight up. Will depend on how he finishes the season and playoffs.
Brodie get a 1st plus as rental at the 2019-20 trade deadline. That is if the Flames are not planning on a playoff run.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #11649
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Gio was not a top 10 d-man 2017-18 when he was paired with Hamilton. He was tied for 17th in the all star balloting and 16th in the Norris.
That’s how you rate players?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #11650
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You can get by without ditching Brodie, I think most of us just believe he is the most detachable piece from the back end long term:
- probably at his maximum upside, and while pretty great, still makes some pretty obvious gaffes
- we will not be able to protect all of our assets at the expansion draft, and people believe that keeping hanifin, valimaki, kylington and Anderson is more important (and gio obviously)
-brodies next contract will make him much less appealing going forward
-people are nervous after his performance the last few years and want to maximize his trade value- sell high
-people are confident that Rasmus can take his spot without disrupting the team

Other things we can do for space next season:
-get rid of frolik for a pick
-perhaps investigate trading neal (if he does well in playoffs especially)
-maybe look into trading Ryan if we really have to. I think there would be suitors.
-sign tkachuk to a short term bridge (5.5-6mil range on 2-3 years buys us more time)

Really it's the model the Blackhawks used during peak dynasty- inflate value in playoffs of vets and trade to recoup assets then bring in low value contracts to support core. Trading brodie is like trading Brian Campbell.

Brodie move is definitely in the offseason and not now though
Actually, it's nothing like that. In 2010 Brian Campbell was anchoring the Blackhawks' second pair with Hjalmarsson while Keith and Seabrook were the Blackhawks' top pair. Brian Campbell was also one of the highest paid defensemen in the NHL period, he had a similar cap hit to Sidney Crosby and a ton of term left on his deal. He was basically what Hanifin is for us, except with double Hanifin's cap hit.

It's more like the Blackhawks trading away Brent Seabrook because he was just a product of Duncan Keith.

Additionally, because Brodie only has a year of term left, his highest value is to the Calgary Flames. Rebuilding teams want term, competing teams want performance / $.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-23-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #11651
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
It's a weird dynamic.

Draft picks are seemingly worth more at the draft than during the season. Of course that isn't really the case but it plays out that way every single year.

Brodie would fetch a 1st right now, no doubt in my mind. At the draft though? Highly debatable. Grown ass men get caught up in the hype/excitement of something that comes every year (all scenarios TDL, draft, UFA) and consistently make choices they may not at other times of the year.

I can see Brodie going for a 2nd and a 3rd this summer.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #11652
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What does that have to do with not being a top 10 dman? Do you actually watch any Flames games or just put out silly posts for fun?
Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #11653
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zuccarello, Hayes and Kreider sttting today for the Rags.

Hopefully two of them are on the way to meet the Flames it Ottawa.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #11654
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Brodie get a 1st plus as rental at the 2019-20 trade deadline. That is if the Flames are not planning on a playoff run.
I think he has to be moved before the season starts. It's that or extend him and trade Hamonic. I'm for keeping Hamonic and getting some picks back in the draft. I would be happy with 2 decent 2nd rounders. Obviously a 1st is better, but I think the team will need to move someone on and make room for the young guys + cap space.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #11655
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

John Scott was a top LW'er in Ricardo's mind
Old 02-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #11656
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A season of Brodie or Hamonic is easily worth a first.

If not, keep them as a self rental next year and sign whichever you prefer (hint: Brodie)

Good offense starts with good transition game and good defense starts with good transition defense, so keep as many good defensemen as possible.

Move Neal and his useless performance for whatever assets you need before throwing away any actually useful players.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 AM   #11657
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Good offense starts with good transition game and good defense starts with good transition defense, so keep as many good defensemen as possible.

Move Neal and his useless performance for whatever assets you need before throwing away any actually useful players.
Hamonic is better.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #11658
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Brodie easily gets a 1st (10-20 range) and a 2nd at the draft. Great skating, offensive upside, will only be 29 so that team can re-sign him.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #11659
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think Brodie easily gets a 1st (10-20 range) and a 2nd at the draft. Great skating, offensive upside, will only be 29 so that team can re-sign him.
Man I hope your right. Would be great asset management if so!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #11660
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie gets you a first very easily.

He is second in ice time on the second best team in the league and plays the right side. Legit top pairing defenseman at a reasonable cap hit.

This place is so ridiculous sometimes where they can’t value a top pairing defenseman but at the same time apparently Foo has value in a trade for Mark Stone.

Brodie gets the same package as Muzzin if the Flames ever move him.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread