Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #1081
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Seat!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #1082
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As a daily commuter myself I've been I got a little impatient for spring to fully arrive so I could ride my road bike again. Went on a quick 30k yesterday and a 20k today. Definitely a little too early to really get out there with the road bike in many areas. I went from downtown to 22x on Saturday mainly on the pathways. Sunday here I mainly stayed to Elbow drive.

My daily commuter is an old early 90s rigid MTB. I could probably sell it for $500-700. Which I probably should. I'm thinking for my daily commuter I just want to get a crappy SS or fixie from one of those U.S. online sites and then spend the rest of my money towards a touring bike.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #1083
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Super nice bike. Love the tires, one sided fork and finish. What is the USB cable for? Can you charge your iPhone?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #1084
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my rig out today for a spin around the hood......over the winter I upgraded it with shimano slx brakes, ice tech rotors and a giant contact dropper post.

Recently ordered a new raceface stem and handle bar - will post a picture once I have these bolted on.....
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #1085
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Started biking to work again today. A few icy patches on the ride in but not to bad at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #1086
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Decided to go riding yesterday and climb all of the hills out of Cochrane. Boy did I get fat and slow over the winter.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #1087
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been looking at uprgrading my commuter bike for some time now. Over the last month or so I've been riding a bunch of cyclocross bikes. Yesterday I tried the Cannondale CAADX and this will be my next purchase. I haven't decided whether to go with the 105 or the Ultegra components yet. Of all the bikes I've ridden, this one was the first where I got on and everything felt exactly as I hoped it would. It gives some aggression on the positioning, without feeling like you are in a race. It climbs very well and is way lighter than I was expecting. The only downfall is that the cables are not concealed in the tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #1088
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Decided to go riding yesterday and climb all of the hills out of Cochrane. Boy did I get fat and slow over the winter.
are you sure the hills did not get taller/steeper?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1089
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

that wind had to be helpful as well. Nothing out there as soul sucking as riding into a southern Alberta wind.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #1090
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Super nice bike. Love the tires, one sided fork and finish. What is the USB cable for? Can you charge your iPhone?
i like the monchromatic scheme; however, i am not a fan at all of teh lefty fork. i always think it makes the bike look "unbalanced".

i have always wanted to examine one of those forks up close though - i figure the axle must be beastly......

would like to see a few more pics though - only because i dig bikes.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #1091
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
^^^

Edit: and holy f'ing cool stem. Where the hell did you get it?
It's a Cannondale stem that came standard, not sure if they sell it separately. Doubt they do as I think it's somewhat Headshok specific.

It's actually a reasonable "Blinky" light with a cool scanning mode. Li-on with a USB port in the back for charging. I still have a Light & Motion Urban 700 to really give me illumination in the winter, but it'll be handy to have something discrete in the summers when I get caught out at night. I make K.I.T.T "whew-whew" scanning noises when I turn it so so it's worth it for that alone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #1092
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Spring is almost here - lets see your new rides for 2014!
Here's mine - A 2010 Trek Remedy with some upgrades... Thompson seatpost, XT shifters and rear derailleur, SLX crankset, Elixir R brakes, and Easton Haven carbon handlebar. Not to mention really really big tires.

Feels a little weird riding a full suspension still. Will have to get used to it once COP goes into bike mode.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #1093
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you take that bad boy to COP you'll have to drop that seat for sure......unless going over the bars is your thing......
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #1094
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've been thinking of getting a Chariot Cougar to haul the tyke around this summer. The double version looks wide - 32". For anyone with one of these - is the double too wide to really use on Calgary pathways? I can think of a few sections where 32" is almost the entire "lane" on a pathway.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #1095
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had this for almost a year now...it's fun.
2013 Transition Bandit 29

Old 03-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #1096
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

LOL, I am looking at this thread with you guys posting $3-5k mountain bikes, and there is another thread debating if $200 is too much to spend on a kids bike. The forks on your bikes are worth $800...lol.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #1097
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
So I've been thinking of getting a Chariot Cougar to haul the tyke around this summer. The double version looks wide - 32". For anyone with one of these - is the double too wide to really use on Calgary pathways? I can think of a few sections where 32" is almost the entire "lane" on a pathway.
Tons of room for a double on most of the pathways. Take your time on the narrow spots. Trained for a week long race with my then 2 year old son in the back, great workouts!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #1098
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
If you take that bad boy to COP you'll have to drop that seat for sure......unless going over the bars is your thing......
Yeah that's a little extreme in that picture. It's actually quite a large (long) frame for me in the XL, and I'm almost 6'3. Going from a 59cm cyclocross frame to that is a bit of a leap.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #1099
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I've never used my bike to commute. Luckily, I'm really close now (6.5 km) so it's a no-brainer.

My new bike: Giant Seek 1 with Alfine 8-speed internal gear shifting.

Looking for advice on supplementary gear.
-Do you guys where a back pack for your work belongings or is it better to get a rear wheel attach bag?
-What are the laws regarding reflective front/rear beacons on bikes?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #1100
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

At 6.5km make sure you've got some good fenders, ride slow and just wear your work clothes. At a very casual pace that's a 20 minute ride vs. a 12 minute ride with shower and change time if you push it.

http://www.calgarycyclechic.com/
Closed Thread