Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #281
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
got the last Garmin Edge 500 today. Can't wait to use it tomorrow!
Nice! I went down as well...wasnt impressed with the bike selection for mens road ($2200 and down) or womens hybrids. Really only 2 bikes to choose from for me and wifey. Did end up getting a couple pair of bike shorts + shirt for 50% off though. Pretty pumped about that...just need to get a bike!! Leaning towards the Opus Triton or Scherzo. But Ridleys has a decent deal for RTCC riders.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #282
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So I have ordered this:

2010 Marin Argenta

This is my first road biek and I'm pretty stoked to get riding. I was a commuter for a couple years but am now a bit too far to do it daily, so I wanted something to spend my weekends on. Couple questions for the gurus...

Pedals and Shoes
I want to go clipless but have only ever ridden toe clips. Any recommendations? I was looking at something like this.
For shoes - how do you pick a good shoe? Should they fit bang on, or do they stretch or break-in? What is the difference between a $100 shoe and a $400 shoe?

Rides
Any recommendations on where to start riding? I'll be heading out solo and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to get started for scenic but not too challenging road rides? Where do you guys go?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #283
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
So I have ordered this:

2010 Marin Argenta

This is my first road biek and I'm pretty stoked to get riding. I was a commuter for a couple years but am now a bit too far to do it daily, so I wanted something to spend my weekends on. Couple questions for the gurus...

Pedals and Shoes
I want to go clipless but have only ever ridden toe clips. Any recommendations? I was looking at something like this.
For shoes - how do you pick a good shoe? Should they fit bang on, or do they stretch or break-in? What is the difference between a $100 shoe and a $400 shoe?

Rides
Any recommendations on where to start riding? I'll be heading out solo and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to get started for scenic but not too challenging road rides? Where do you guys go?

Thanks!
I bought a Cervelo R3 and I think those are the pedals I put on it. I know they were 105s and they look very similar. The price is pretty close as well. They work great and I didn't feel as an intermediate rider I needed to double my budget for something that weighed a few grams less. You can adjust the tightness so conform to how you want to ride.

For shoes I paid $330 and got these: http://labiciclettaproshop.com/produ...shoes-4053.htm

You need a good fit on your shoe. My foot just fits Specialized very well. I have three pairs of them. I bought a pair a couple years ago for $125 that I have the SPD clip on the bottom, as the bike I use it for has pedals that one one side you can use regular shoes and the other side SPD clip in shoes. My third pair I picked up for $30 at a season blow out sale. They aren't as comfortable as the new ones, but I mainly use them indoors on a bike trainer. I wanted to get SIDI shoes, but they were too narrow for me.

The biggest piece of advice is to get fitted for your bike. They will adjust the shoes, pedals, bike, etc. to make sure you are riding the most efficiently. I had a few lifts put in my left shoe, which has made a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #284
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

When does the snow melt enough to do Highwood pass? I have it on my list of things to do this year.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #285
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://runningmagazine.ca/2012/01/se...-pass-alberta/

The 105-kilometre Highway 40 is only open from the Highwood House junction to Kananaskis Trail junction from June 15 to Dec. 1 to protect wildlife during spring grazing and birthing season.

There will be snow at the top of the Elbow Loop, past July 1st.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #286
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I have ordered this:

2010 Marin Argenta

Pedals and Shoes

Rides

Thanks!
The 105 pedals are great.
I put them on my Tri bike and I quite like them.
The obviously aren't as good as some of the more expensive ones, but It think they're pretty much the best as far as bang for buck is concerned.

As for shoes, the more expensive shoes will generally be lighter, stiffer in the sole, and have more adjustment in the straps.
If you ride a lot, you'll probalby wear out the $100 shoes, and if you aren't a serious racer, the $400 shoes probably aren't worth it.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #287
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
When does the snow melt enough to do Highwood pass? I have it on my list of things to do this year.
I usually do the Highwood pass 1st or 2nd week of June, before it opens up to cars. Park the car at the gate, ride to the summit, usually turn around, and rip back down. If I'm feeling good (haha), I'll go down the other side for 10-20 km, climb back up and over. Last year there was lots of snow along the sides, but the road was clear. One of my favorite rides by far, I highly recommend it (Bring bear spray just in case)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #288
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
I usually do the Highwood pass 1st or 2nd week of June, before it opens up to cars. Park the car at the gate, ride to the summit, usually turn around, and rip back down. If I'm feeling good (haha), I'll go down the other side for 10-20 km, climb back up and over. Last year there was lots of snow along the sides, but the road was clear. One of my favorite rides by far, I highly recommend it (Bring bear spray just in case)
Thanks having the whole highway to bike on sounds great. I guess that means i should get back into biking shape.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #289
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
So I have ordered this:

2010 Marin Argenta
Did you order from Jenson in the end?

I'm curious to know how you find their service for a built bike, as I'm thinking of using them in the near future too.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #290
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Did you order from Jenson in the end?

I'm curious to know how you find their service for a built bike, as I'm thinking of using them in the near future too.
I did order from Jensen. It was super easy - I ended up calling in as I didn't see the bike advertised when I looked again. They said it would take a few days to build so i should have it by early next week. So far the process has been really easy, but I'll update once I have the bike.

On the first few pages @Pylon had highly recommended Jensen for parts as well.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #291
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I did order from Jensen. It was super easy - I ended up calling in as I didn't see the bike advertised when I looked again. They said it would take a few days to build so i should have it by early next week. So far the process has been really easy, but I'll update once I have the bike.

On the first few pages @Pylon had highly recommended Jensen for parts as well.
My buddy's bike just arrived. He ordered the look from jenson. We've had a number of bikes come through our place in whitefish and this one has Probably the best packaging I've ever seen on a bike. Very clean and neat.

Regarding parts, I ordered some road tires and they sent me the wrong size. I called jenson, and they're shipping out the correct size express and covering my return shipping of the other tires.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #292
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That Highwood Pass sounds scary.

What's the road by Elbow Falls that's closed through the winter? Anyone ride that road before it's open ?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #293
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
That Highwood Pass sounds scary.

What's the road by Elbow Falls that's closed through the winter? Anyone ride that road before it's open ?
I walked it this weekend. It's still a little snowy, but very, very close to being rideable.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #294
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I walked it this weekend. It's still a little snowy, but very, very close to being rideable.
Is it as scary as Highwood? How long of a ride? Open/Close? Or the name? That way I can do the work myself haha.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #295
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just to get everyone into the riding spirit. These are shots from our assault on the Highwood pass last June

Last edited by #22; 04-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #296
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it as scary as Highwood? How long of a ride? Open/Close? Or the name? That way I can do the work myself haha.
not nearly as long, but there are certainly some steep climbs on it.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #297
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Highwood pass isn't as scary as it looks / sounds. Yes, there is a fair bit of climbing, but there is also some flat / downhill stretches to recover on along the way up to the summit (coming in from the Longview end). From the gate to the summit is around 40 km. For scary (but beautiful) climbs, see mount Revelstoke
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #298
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious if anyone is doing the Golden Triangle this year?
This'll be my first time doing it, and I'm pretty excited for it.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #299
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another quick question.
Anyone know of any good clinics/courses for learning bike repair/maintenance?
I know how to do basic things, but I wouldn't mind learning a lot more about some of the trickier repair/maintenance topics.

I know U of C offers a course, but are there any other places that anyone knows about? Perhaps one of the bike shops in town?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #300
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Another quick question.
Anyone know of any good clinics/courses for learning bike repair/maintenance?
I know how to do basic things, but I wouldn't mind learning a lot more about some of the trickier repair/maintenance topics.

I know U of C offers a course, but are there any other places that anyone knows about? Perhaps one of the bike shops in town?
Bow cycle offers them in the winter, but they don't offer anything spring/summer due to how crazy busy they are.
Closed Thread