Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #81
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just like the Gino deal the devil will be in the details.

4 years $160 million sounds like a big number (It Is) but it sounds like $35 million of that is already incentives. Similar to Geno's deal

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news...million-reveal

If it is structured similar it will be a 4 years 125 million deal in reality.

Then it really matter how much is guaranteed in the first few seasons.

Ravens issue isn't paying Lamar a big on paper contract like these two , its guaranteeing 230+ million for a QB who hasn't finished the last 2 seasons.

Gino and Jones will only be paid like elite QB's if they put up elite #'s
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 02:56 PM   #82
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But if he had got to market someone (Carolina?) would have given him in the ballpark of $40 million. It's a bad contract, but it's a product of the QB desperate world we live in. I will continue to beat on this drum, but until we get a QB middle class where you can sign a Daniel Jones for the $15-20 million a year he's really worth it's going to be a league of poverty rookies and QBs on $40 million +.

And that $35 million in incentives is in addition to the $160 million, so it could be worth up to $195 million. Which, I imagine, the Giants would be fine with since he'd actually be above mid if he hit the incentives.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:04 PM   #83
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Just like the Gino deal the devil will be in the details.

4 years $160 million sounds like a big number (It Is) but it sounds like $35 million of that is already incentives. Similar to Geno's deal

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news...million-reveal

If it is structured similar it will be a 4 years 125 million deal in reality.

Then it really matter how much is guaranteed in the first few seasons.

Ravens issue isn't paying Lamar a big on paper contract like these two , its guaranteeing 230+ million for a QB who hasn't finished the last 2 seasons.

Gino and Jones will only be paid like elite QB's if they put up elite #'s
It's still $82M guaranteed for a very average QB.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #84
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carlolina has been burned by going in on average/below average QB's so I'm not sure they would have gone down that road again. Maybe another team would have paid him that but if I was the Giants I would have let him hit the market and see if he comes back. You could sign Brissett for less than $10 million and make your overall team better with the $30 million saved as I don't see Jones as being significantly better of a QB.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #85
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, the Cowboys tagging Pollard while still having Zeke on the books is such a classic Cowboys move.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #86
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’m hoping the Lamar thing turns into a Prince trying to get out of a record deal situation. As much chaos and hatred as possible
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:09 PM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Also, the Cowboys tagging Pollard while still having Zeke on the books is such a classic Cowboys move.
Jerry's going to Jerry right to the end isn't he?
Old 03-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #88
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I’m hoping the Lamar thing turns into a Prince trying to get out of a record deal situation. As much chaos and hatred as possible
The Lamar situation is going to end with the Players association sueing the owners for collision as teams are already publicly coming out and saying they won’t pursue

This is the entire ownership group of the NFL trying to reverse the precedence set by Cleveland and Watson on guaranteed deals
Old 03-07-2023, 03:54 PM   #89
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
How so? Zeke is pretty much spent and has said he’ll renegotiate his contract…or he’ll be cut and the Cowboys will save $11m against the cap (post June cut). I don’t think the Cowboys go anywhere with Zeke as RB1. They are likely going to take an RB somewhere in the mid rounds but they’ll need a guy for this year to carry the load.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #90
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
How so? Zeke is pretty much spent and has said he’ll renegotiate his contract…or he’ll be cut and the Cowboys will save $11m against the cap (post June cut). I don’t think the Cowboys go anywhere with Zeke as RB1. They are likely going to take an RB somewhere in the mid rounds but they’ll need a guy for this year to carry the load.
I meant more if they keep Zeke around. Pollard is clearly a good RB, but carrying Zeke at the same time for anything more than $2M is way too much money in the RB position.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #91
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Lamar situation is going to end with the Players association sueing the owners for collision as teams are already publicly coming out and saying they won’t pursue

This is the entire ownership group of the NFL trying to reverse the precedence set by Cleveland and Watson on guaranteed deals
But Cleveland didn't set a precedent. The namesake of the Cousins tier got a fully guaranteed deal when he signed with the Vikings, and he's signed at least one additional fully guaranteed one I believe. Deshaun's deal is just the largest fully guaranteed deal. So proving collusion will be pretty tough.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #92
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a Packers fan but the farther Rodgers gets away from my team the better. He’s a moron and I hate him. Anyone want a Rodgers jersey, cheap.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2023, 04:58 PM   #93
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m a Packers fan but the farther Rodgers gets away from my team the better. He’s a moron and I hate him. Anyone want a Rodgers jersey, cheap.
I might keep mine in case they get another QB with #12
Old 03-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #94
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
I might keep mine in case they get another QB with #12
Mine has his name banner.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:31 PM   #95
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Mine has his name banner.
Mine too, but it looks like it can come off as one piece and be replaced.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:35 PM   #96
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or teams want to stay away from a player, who will want $45-$50M, will cost a team two first round draft picks, for someone who hasn’t finished the last two seasons due to injury, quit on his team last year, not done much in the playoffs, and most importantly, relies on his athleticism as a running back to be effective, which likelihood continuance of said athleticism won’t outlast the length of the contract he wants.

Just because Cleveland was desperate last year doesn’t mean the other 31 teams are colluding now.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:48 AM   #97
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way he ended the season not even travelling with the team for their playoff game would rub me the wrong way if I was a teammate. It's just not something a supposed leader of a team would do. You also have to wonder if he could have played in theat game and just made a business decision. His passing numbers have regressed the past two seasons and you kind of wonder if the Ravens would be better off getting the two 1st round picks as I just don't think any sort of guaranteed contract for a running QB like him is going to work out well in the long run. He's a good player but it's not like the Ravens would ever win a Super Bowl with him at QB.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #98
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Or teams want to stay away from a player, who will want $45-$50M, will cost a team two first round draft picks, for someone who hasn’t finished the last two seasons due to injury, quit on his team last year, not done much in the playoffs, and most importantly, relies on his athleticism as a running back to be effective, which likelihood continuance of said athleticism won’t outlast the length of the contract he wants.

Just because Cleveland was desperate last year doesn’t mean the other 31 teams are colluding now.
I agree with you, but teams are also making decisions which are in the best interest of the league going forward - Keeping guaranteed contracts away from the players

Already the collusion articles are flying in, and this was a major talking point on ESPN yesterday

Just a few:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nfl/...hzbatfskeseawz

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...arted-quickly/

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...13132_38551713

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2...l-free-agency/

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news...s-up-something

This is lining up to be a huge battle between the PA and the league. It isn't a coincidence that the PA has stepped in to 'assist' Lamar after he has had no agent for 2 years.

What's funny, is that the PA's position is actually weak for the reasons you stated. Lamar has regressed. He hasnt finished the last 2 years.

In a way it feels like Lamar may end up being used as a bit of a pawn here as he has no agent and is closest to true FA

If someone wanted to actually take a stand there's a lot of better candidates then Lamar to force the leagues with more conviction
Old 03-08-2023, 11:23 AM   #99
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is collusion happening here? Almost certainly
Can the PA prove it? Almost certainly not.

And so nothing will come out of this other than some articles and whatnot. If somehow, someway the players do find a way to get guaranteed contracts out of this, we all know the end result will be effectively the end of multi year contracts outside of the most select few players. League would certainly be a lot more chaotic with 80+% of players constantly hitting free agency.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #100
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a site that outlines the amount of guaranteed $ in all the QB deals? Jones 'only' got 82 of the 160.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote