Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #281
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it just me or is there anyone else here trying to avoid knowing anything about the game characters, items, monsters, skills, etc etc? I want to go in completely blind. Haven't watched more than 1 min of the "beta". I've basically no idea what to expect!
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipperriffic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #282
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipperriffic View Post
Is it just me or is there anyone else here trying to avoid knowing anything about the game characters, items, monsters, skills, etc etc? I want to go in completely blind. Haven't watched more than 1 min of the "beta". I've basically no idea what to expect!
I'm way too jacked about this game to do something like that. I've probably dumped over 80 hours into the beta so far. I will say this though, with the latest beta patch, the game is feeling very tight and polished right now. If you were a fan of D2, you are in for a treat.

To your point though, I didn't watch the video of the armor tiers, as that is definitely something I want to discover on my own as I work my way through the game.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #283
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Yeah, I don't plan on reading a single thing about the game systems before playing. So far the only thing I've read are the names of the classes and the system requirements.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #284
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

we should create a cp d3 group that way we can party/level together (wow the nerdiness)
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #285
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why not, there's already Steam, BF3 and I'm pretty sure SC2 CP groups.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #286
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Why not, there's already Steam, BF3 and I'm pretty sure SC2 CP groups.
wheres the steam group? I recently just got back into cs source.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #287
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

D2 was the first game I ever went off the grid for......if D3 is a polished up better version of it, I better inform my wife she won't see me until 2014.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #288
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
wheres the steam group? I recently just got back into cs source.
Just do a search for CalgaryPuck and you'll find it.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #289
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
D2 was the first game I ever went off the grid for......if D3 is a polished up better version of it, I better inform my wife she won't see me until 2014.

apparently it is supposed to have a lot more character customization (with skill combinations and items) compared to Diablo 2! I have a feeling that it will definitely surpass D2 in everything.
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #290
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

so what's the supposed playtime of the single player? I played D2 once all the way through, loved it, never looked back. Hopefully it's not 20 hours and that's it.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #291
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
so what's the supposed playtime of the single player? I played D2 once all the way through, loved it, never looked back. Hopefully it's not 20 hours and that's it.
20 hours/single player? Got stuck on Duriel, amirite?
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #292
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just played through the Beta a few times.. some thoughts

- Graphics are awesome
- Item drops are character specific (no more auto pick bots or seeing who's the fastest and snagging an item.)
- Characters are pre set with attributes (meaning you can't customize your character like in D2 and dump everything in Strength and Dex so to say.
- Skills are also pre set and you can't "stack" skills like you could in D2 (putting 30 into Frozen Orb and 30 into Blizzard) instead skills are level based.
- Runes. You now have the ability to attach a rune to a skill based on your level (This is basically a skill on a skill , it gives extra attributes to your current skill)
- Auction house - Great idea imo , gets rid of stupid d2 Jsp and crap like that. Also you won't have to overpay since it's market based.

- Overall I am impressed with the gameplay but I am very disappointed in the fact that you can no longer customize your characters. As mentioned before this is all done for you which puts the demand soley on what items you have for your character. Should be interesting.

Bluck
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #293
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

items drops being character specific is silly. The best part of D2 was 8 people trying to get the drops after killing Andy, D, Meph, or Diablo and then when that one guy is screaming, "YES YES YES, I GOT A GULL", you all laugh because when he used his identify scroll it was always a Diggler and never a Gull. Oh good times.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #294
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry for the possibly nubcake question but how does the game handle sometimes playing single player and sometimes with friends? If we play together for a bit and then someone gets a week behind is he basically out of luck? Or will we have to do older levels to catch him up?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #295
if.away
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
items drops being character specific is silly. The best part of D2 was 8 people trying to get the drops after killing Andy, D, Meph, or Diablo and then when that one guy is screaming, "YES YES YES, I GOT A GULL", you all laugh because when he used his identify scroll it was always a Diggler and never a Gull. Oh good times.
I think sillier when you're at the back, as lets say a sorc or amazon, and the drop gets snatched by whoever was closest to the boss. You deserved it too but the guy who was closest got it, because they were closest...

Or when you see the sorc from the back stop attacking a few seconds before the boss is dead and just rush to the front so they can spam click to pick up whatever is about to drop.

Or even the best one, someone at the front has an auto pick up script and picks everything up before you even get to see what dropped.

Not the best part of D2 for me
if.away is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to if.away For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #296
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
I'm way too jacked about this game to do something like that. I've probably dumped over 80 hours into the beta so far. I will say this though, with the latest beta patch, the game is feeling very tight and polished right now. If you were a fan of D2, you are in for a treat.

To your point though, I didn't watch the video of the armor tiers, as that is definitely something I want to discover on my own as I work my way through the game.
Most of you guys can watch the Beta and still not know anything about the game. The Beta consists of about 3 quests in Act 1 Normal. I can guarantee you wont learn enough to ruin the game.

I am still not impressed with the lack of Character Customization. I loved making different and strong builds in D2 and in D3 it is mapped out for you completely so it is about how you play instead of skills to invest in. I don't like the fact that you can't Ruin a character or try out some funky character build. Only two forms of customization exist from what I know currently implemented in the game, Runes and Equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #297
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Sorry for the possibly nubcake question but how does the game handle sometimes playing single player and sometimes with friends? If we play together for a bit and then someone gets a week behind is he basically out of luck? Or will we have to do older levels to catch him up?
Not out of luck at all (and it isn't a bad question.)

Each character progresses along their storyline independently so whichever friend is lagging the farthest behind should start the game. The rest of you can join in, and since you are already higher levels and have better equipment, you will quickly help your friend catch up. Not only that, buy you likely will have some extra gear that you can give to your friend to better equip him/her.

Once you have played through once, from that point it is simply where do you want to go killing/looting. Now there can be some differences as let's say your friend just got into the second "tier" of Nightmare but you have already completed that and are now capable of Hell games. Your friend couldn't play at that level (likely would be constantly dying anyways...)

Bottom line is that the highest level players can still play with even a level one player.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #298
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
I am still not impressed with the lack of Character Customization. I loved making different and strong builds in D2 and in D3 it is mapped out for you completely so it is about how you play instead of skills to invest in. I don't like the fact that you can't Ruin a character or try out some funky character build. Only two forms of customization exist from what I know currently implemented in the game, Runes and Equipment.
I thought that at first too. But think back to the D2 characters, ultimately they were basically pigeon-holed into one optimal setup and that was it. I had a Frozen Orb sorc, with Hydra and Fire Wall as secondary skills. That was it.

At least with this setup, you can constantly tryout hundreds or thousands of "new" builds without having to create a whole new character all over again.

And add in the equipment alternatives and you have tons of other options as well.

From what I can see, I think it will add to the replay value and not diminish it.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #299
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:

No character customization is terrible they dropped the ball huge on this one , everyone's going to have the same characters pretty much
Old 03-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #300
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
No character customization is terrible they dropped the ball huge on this one , everyone's going to have the same characters pretty much
*cough* Hammerdin *cough*

I am thinking it is actually going to be the exact opposite, as I have noted above.