Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2023, 02:25 PM   #41
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I've wandered into the PC thread a couple of times and you guys all sound like you're constantly talking in some strange foreign language where the only thing I can seem to make out in translation is that you're all constantly needing/wanting to upgrade something.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 02:28 PM   #42
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did you think they'd be talking about?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:54 PM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Honestly, exactly that.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:43 PM   #44
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reviews seem incredibly strong
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=50b4609e2d89
Quote:
if you wanted a giant Bethesda RPG set in space with better combat and a whole lot of time to level and build things and explore and find secrets, yeah, this is it. They did it. Enjoy.

Score: 9.5/10

Last edited by FormerPresJamesTaylor; 08-31-2023 at 04:47 PM.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 05:59 PM   #45
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

MinnMax has a portion of their recent show chatting about it:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:56 PM   #46
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple hours in...and I'm impressed. Beautiful game, feels like the beginning of an epic game. I'm a bit giddy after my initial sit down.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 09:34 PM   #47
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Yup. It looks great and no bugs (apart from one object spinning on the ground). I like the combat a lot. Exploring and things like using the inventory will take getting used to but so far I'm loving it.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 09:42 PM   #48
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Oh, and PureDark's DLSS mod is up for you filthy Nvidians.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/111/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #49
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bought a decent size SSD.. kicking myself I didn't do it sooner. My comp is pretty old at it's core, but I've done other upgrades. However I've only had enough SSD space for windows. This is going to be great for load times!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 12:24 PM   #50
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The IGN review goes through the pros and cons. It sounds like like it balances out to be a good game, but not great. They still recommend it at the end, but it doesn't sound like the masterpiece people were expecting.
Old 09-01-2023, 02:12 PM   #51
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Just bought a decent size SSD.. kicking myself I didn't do it sooner. My comp is pretty old at it's core, but I've done other upgrades. However I've only had enough SSD space for windows. This is going to be great for load times!
The one bright side to your wait is that thanks to crashing prices for flash memory, you can get a >1TB drive for peanuts these days and big enough to hold an entire games library.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 02:32 PM   #52
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

The IGN review goes through the pros and cons. It sounds like like it balances out to be a good game, but not great. They still recommend it at the end, but it doesn't sound like the masterpiece people were expecting.
I get that many did have high expectations, but a 7/10 seems exactly right when compared to the lukewarm expectations of people in my social media.

Bethesda just isn't that strong of a brand anymore.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:16 PM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I get that many did have high expectations, but a 7/10 seems exactly right when compared to the lukewarm expectations of people in my social media.

Bethesda just isn't that strong of a brand anymore.
To be fair this review is on the low end of the scale as it's trending on Metacritic at 88 and 87 on PC and Xbox which is solid when you consider it's probably a little too ambitious and they couldn't get everything right. It appears that a lot of issues of an extremely large game are present but I have read many reviews where they say Bethesda is back on their RPG game as it's more Skyrim RPG than Fallout.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2023, 09:55 AM   #54
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The game is absolutely massive, almost overwhelmingly so.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:29 AM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good little post here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1697977558417990128
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #56
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
To be fair this review is on the low end of the scale as it's trending on Metacritic at 88 and 87 on PC and Xbox which is solid when you consider it's probably a little too ambitious and they couldn't get everything right. It appears that a lot of issues of an extremely large game are present but I have read many reviews where they say Bethesda is back on their RPG game as it's more Skyrim RPG than Fallout.
Generally I don't really care about metacritic or review scores, but I do want to say that I'm glad it's not another dud. Whether or not it's reviewed great matters much less to me than the fact that at least people do seem to very genuinely enjoy it and aren't talking about bugs and all that other stuff that's made people hesitant to buy AAA games on release.

It feels like this year has seen a bit of a course correction with multiple good AAA releases, after the last couple of years before that were a bit dire and started to make a lot of people cynical about the state of AAA gaming overall.

I'm also glad that RPG's seem to be bigger than ever right now, as that's a genre that's very close to my heart.

(Although I likely won't ever play Starfield, as I have no plans to expand my platforms beyond PS for the foreseeable future. But that's not on Starfield.)

Last edited by Itse; 09-03-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:42 PM   #57
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Reading through some of the comments, it sounds like expectations for some people were just unrealistic. It sounds like people were expecting every planet to be a unique and massive open word, but the planets are actually more akin to what buildings are in Fallout 4.

Which makes sense. I personally loved Fallout 4, so I will probably give this game a whirl one day. By that time, maybe the inventory issues will be improved on.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #58
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I'm enjoying it so far, 28 hours in. Played Fallout New Vegas and 4, skipped Skyrim. For me, this game feels like it's FO4 mechanics placed inside Mass Effect. It does have a steeper learning curve, especially first time in a ship. And yeah, inventory could use some work, as simple as letting you see some detail of the items on a body, instead of just guessing if you want the item or not.

One bug so far on a side quest, graphics glitch comes up somewhat rarely in the cockpit. Otherwise it's fairly smooth.

I have 325 hours on FO4 with three playthroughs, I'm sure I'll get to 150 hours on my first playthrough here.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 06:20 AM   #59
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just Red Dead 2 it took me several hours to get a feel for the it but once I did I absolutely love it. The inventory is clunky, that can be fixed up but the game is utterly fantastic and gorgeous. It runs smooth on my Series S and only glitch was a space pirate getting stuck in a ceiling. For any game that's acceptable, for a Bethesda game it's unheard of.

Haven't touched the outpost aspect yet and only repainted a ship, I'll put more hours in before I delve into that.

I'll say doing the Mantis mission after reading the note you pick up early in the game truly put me into Statfield. After completing that I was like, yeah, this is Bethesda at its best
Old 09-05-2023, 06:53 AM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Just Red Dead 2 it took me several hours to get a feel for the it but once I did I absolutely love it. The inventory is clunky, that can be fixed up but the game is utterly fantastic and gorgeous. It runs smooth on my Series S and only glitch was a space pirate getting stuck in a ceiling. For any game that's acceptable, for a Bethesda game it's unheard of.

Haven't touched the outpost aspect yet and only repainted a ship, I'll put more hours in before I delve into that.

I'll say doing the Mantis mission after reading the note you pick up early in the game truly put me into Statfield. After completing that I was like, yeah, this is Bethesda at its best
I don't want to spoil anything but that side mission is a must when you are in the early hours of the game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: